] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: May/07/2023 at 7:31am  Quote

I have been asking fellow modelers at the field their thoughts on the upcoming September16,2023 remote ID requirement.  Surprisingly few know about it. Many think the club has approval to fly at the club field without it.  Several doubt any enforcement will happen.  

I did the application thru the AMA for a FRIA zone at my field.  So far the AMA says there are no approved zones anywhere and no reasonably priced devices to put in our models.   They seem to think the date of implementation will be postponed. It is just 4 months away.  

Any thoughtful replies on this communities thoughts and plans would be appreciated. 

Forest

Ziroli Stuka Video

Don Smith 335 Video

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/07/2023 at 8:36am  Quote

Well depending on who you talk to there may or may not be approved FRIAs out there.  Supposedly the AMA HQ site is one.  Personally I wouldn't trust anyone other than the FAA about this one.  And I'd want to hear it directly.

As for RID devices, here's what I have found so far.

https://dronetag.cz/

https://uavionix.com/product/pingrid/

https://bluemark.io/2023/01/remote-id-db121-and-db121pcb-rem oteid-add-ons-powered-by-the-drone/

Prices from $50 to $4000 and more.  The one I like is here:

https://bluemark.io/2023/03/bluemark-introduces-the-cost-eff ective-db202mav-module-and-announces-two-other-family-member s/

49 Euros or around $55.

My intent is to buy one and move it from model to model.  After all, you can only fly one at a time and I rarely take more than one model to the field at a time.

Hope this helps.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: May/08/2023 at 1:04pm  Quote

The latest AMA news covers some of this.
For me personally I fly in AAAA events on down and I don't give any of it a second thought.
If you are flying at an established AMA model club site you are covered from remote ID requirements.
Paperwork to follow for the establishing FRIA's. I have many FAA licenses and know for a fact that in my area Airplanes can't be seen below about 1800' AGL by radar. I'm more concerned about the New Madrid fault line acting up than a FAA guy coming after me for model airplane transgressions.
Sparky

Gamma RIP

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/08/2023 at 3:54pm  Quote

Thanks for your thoughts.

For what it’s worth the FAA does have a FRIA map but so far no zones are listed. They use the same map for LOAs but those areas will just overlap the FRIAs in some cases and they are not the same thing. At this time the only areas on the map are the LOAs.

FAA Remote ID Web Page

FRIA Map Homepage

Ziroli Stuka Video

Don Smith 335 Video

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: May/08/2023 at 5:54pm  Quote

I've tried to keep an eye on this ever changing bouncing ball since Kay Bailey Hutchison retired. She had the FAA's budget by the ..... and did not let go of their modernization funds until many over-reach issues were removed from our sUAS airspace constraints.

As recently as two weeks ago I followed up with Muncie since no one at Bomber Field had performed due diligence relative to our FRIA confirmation... I was told the FAA had not cleared/approved FRIA and would not begin the process until mid September... Interesting overlap with the fall dead date for I.D. modules in r/c aircraft. Processing paperwork in Muncie was said to be behind...though the FAA is the final processor of applications.

Original FAA premise was you supposedly did not have to have the I.D. dongle if you flew at a FRIA. Catch in the protocol is it has been stated the FAA is not going to begin reviewing...let alone approving FRIA applications before mid September 2023. Though AMA is receiving FRIA applications the FAA performs the decision making process.

I personally predict a default ruling in our (favor) future; declaring all "current" AMA club sites will be defined as a FRIA "group" with multiple locations spread across the FAA sectionals subdivided within the FAA's zone matrix previously distributed.

Another "catch", previously the FAA Safety committee (where this issue finally found a home...) changes members every six months. There is no legacy...its like starting at square one every six months. This more or less works in our favor toward defining "current AMA chartered fields (and current members)" as default FRIA locations.

Currently altitude restrictions are pretty much non-existant unless "closest" to controlled airspace (aka heavy trafficked). An example being the NASA Johnson Space Center AMA club field is on the old radar range...on JSC property. Houston Hobby and Ellington traffic constitute an obstacle to ceilings previously constrained to as low as 200/250 feet. The club, or members there of, supposedly appealed the FAA and were approved to fly above 200/250 ft.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/12/2023 at 11:37pm  Quote

Our club is at the Sepulveda Basin in Los Angeles, CA.  We were told (by AMA) our FRIA application was rejected (as were all others in the same situation as us) by the FAA because we are located 3 miles from the Van Nuys Airport.  Our club has been in it's current location since 1967, and in another location about a half mile away since at least 1959.  We used to have the standard 400' limit, but that was lowered a few years ago to 250' after the FAA classified all remotely operated air vehicles as 'Drones' and started requiring aircraft registration.

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/13/2023 at 6:31am  Quote

Our club Horizon City Flyers #1416 got our FRIA approval email earlier this week ( through a email). Apparently notices are going out.

"The status for your FAA-Recognized Identification Area (FRIA) application 2022-CBO-00202-FRIA - Horizon City RC Flyers #1416 has been updated.

FRIA Application Status: Approved"

Mike  

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
South Miami, FL
IP Logged
Posted: July/13/2023 at 7:15am  Quote

My club has received the notice too.

Flying: Bellanca XR-3, Fleet
Bench: PC-6