I haven't been doing much of late with covid, moving house, settling in, changing jobs (X2) and sorting the workshop etc. I just haven’t really been much in the mood for my models but I feel things are changing now and am slowly getting back into it.
I thought I would start by showing my DV11 which I built 10 plus years ago. I designed and built it before I was a member here so no build thread was done. I thought I would show it off here as it is one of my better builds that has really served me well. I will try to keep the story brief and not bore you too much and I only have a few pictures of the build so will show all I have of it.
So the story, it started with a conversation with a good friend who is a bit of a WW1 buff, he has a few fokkers in his collection but no DV11 so he decided that I should build one as my next model. He gave me a set of drawings by Air Age Inc, copyright by Joseph N(can’t read the rest), anyway on the 3 view it gives all the dimensions and measurements of the full size so I set about drawing a full size plane in TurboCad. I had already decided to do a ¼ scale so I decided what size material I would use for the fuse frame, wing spars etc and drew them onto the plan 4 times bigger than required so once the plan was finished and reduced to ¼ scale then everything was the right size. The drawings were fairly basic but I understood them and that was all that really mattered and the rest was made up as it all came together.
The fuse was built mainly from dowel from the local hardware and ply around the front end and where I thought it needed a bit of extra strength. Front panels and louvers are litho and I made molds for the radiator surround and lower front panels. The wings etc are all made from balsa, rib sections are from the 3 views and scaled to suit with under chamber. Both main wing incidences are set to zero and tailplane is set to the same as the full size, undercarriage is internally sprung with bungee cord within the undercarriage wing and wheels are homemade. Power is provided by a Moki 180 with a 18/10 prop and home made header pipe and muffler, not a rocket ship but adequate for the job, flies like a big trainer and any looping type maneuvers have to be started from a bit of a dive. Final flying weight is 24lbs. Hope you enjoy the few build pics I have, thanks for looking in.
and the final product.
Take offs are optional, Landings are mandatory.