] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: March/25/2023 at 10:54am  Quote

Daniel and I communicate relatively often...on an irregular basis. He is fortunate
to have returned to the chip manufaturer...as the demands on that sector is at an
all time high to achieve the Made-In-America mandate.

As Jeff wrote, Daniel's issue was the minimum volume of polymer at "X" $. In the
case of Robart the majority of model component distributors bought molded tires,
aka ready for sale tires...from a single domestic molding company.

A company which experienced a devistating fire resulting in no, or unacceptable
quality. In Robart's case, it is probably the best barometer of any improvement
in light of an ever growing recession

While printed tires may sound like an alternative...the time/$ per will never provide
a diverse on the shelf inventory.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: March/25/2023 at 3:31pm  Quote

Quote: Oldschool
It’s sad , I hope someday soon it will be better for everyone.

It is sad and unfortunately is not going to get any better in my opinion, fact is our segment of the hobby is rapidly disappearing, is getting harder and harder to get supplies for the scratch builder while the foam and ARF segment grows daily. Nothing wrong with foam if thats what someone likes but the small suppliers like Sullivan and others that needs our specific niche of R/C cant survive with this trend. There are 4 LHS within a 40 mile radius from me, all they have is R/C off road cars that are mostly ready to run, you can’t even find plastic models cause it has to be put together and today’s generation seeks instant gratification and anything that requires effort is not acceptable.
Companies offering ARFs and foamies will survive for a while, but then we have another issue, land for R/C clubs is getting harder and harder to find so there is another blow to our segment, I guess park fliers will be the future.
I started in 1980 and from then till about 10 years ago those were the golden years of R/C in my opinion, we didn't have the wonderful radios and engines we have now but boy was it enjoyable with the vast amount of suppliers and LHS that carried just about everything. I hate to be pessimistic but the future of Scale Building and flying looks grim.
Once our generation thats willing to spend hours and hours in the shop creating something from raw materials is gone, so will scale building. JMO

Hangar:
1/4 Piper Navy Replica Piper J3, Travel Air D4D, NA50
On the bench. 1/3 L4 Piper
Waiting 1/3 Cessna OA2, 1/3 Bucker Jungmann 1/3 Spacewalker

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: March/25/2023 at 4:36pm  Quote

One of, if not the best thing for our hobby is constraint of Chinese trade. I foresee a surge in Made In The USA products,
and kits. Call me too optimistic but as long as there is the attraction of replicating a 1:1 aircraft...this hobby is not dead.

The reason everyone is attracted to flying r/c is they envision themselves flying the "real" thing. Too often they want to
climb right into an F4U. When they are fortunate to find an AMA club they quicky learn what is a realistic pathway...with
help to assure they don't durk their J-3 trainer at ROG.

The process of learning to fly and passing the hobby along to others goes hand in hand. It is our responsibility to share
the fun with no less than two others...then watch the hobby return to greater numbers with the confidence to stay in the
hobby instead of walking to a trash can...

Too often club meetings slip further and further away from what should be no less than 80% show and tell and How2. RCSB
was created to provide this online. Bring up "content" at your next club meeting...or better still get back to attending your
club meeting... :^) 

I guarantee everyone at the show and tell will concentrate on your "Scale How2". Try it... you will be surprised by the #
of people saying "Oh that's how it's done".  

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: March/25/2023 at 10:58pm  Quote

Ed,

I agree with you on getting club members interested. Most in our small club fly ARF foam but I have gotten 2 members to buy scale WWII foam fighters this past year and they are having a blast. They are learning to fly in a more scale type flight plan than when they just flew their sport foamys around. Its a start that I hope continues in our club. They are wanting to go to some scale meets this year to get a feel of the excitement in the scale community. My fingers are crossed.
       I have had a few builds on here in the past but took the winter off this year to paint and weather a Flight Line Corsair to show my club members what they can do if so inclined. I have seen a noticeable decline in all the R/C forums in participation of our sport and hope it is just everyone worn down by the weather. I remember Toledo would always bring me back to the Enthusian after a long winter. Hoping Williams Brothers does get back to producing soon.
                                           Best Regards, Rex

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: March/26/2023 at 7:41am  Quote

I got my first RC in 1968. Seen a lot of changes. I don't think any discussion of the future of the hobby can be done without mention of the new rules and the FAA. I fear the final demise of the hobby will come from that direction. I fear too it will be some bureaucrat who for some reason gets annoyed with the hobby and shuts us down. And I feel this proposed new director of the FAA is just such a bureaucrat.

On other forums I've seen others advocate ignoring one or more of the rules. Especially the 400 foot altitude limit. I assure you, enough do this in class G airspace and GA pilots take notice a file complaints and we could all be grounded. The only question that remains is what is the FAAs tolerance for such a thing?

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: March/26/2023 at 8:53am  Quote

I think that part of the reason for the change, is the current need for instant gratification.

That, I believe is a big reason for the ARF products.

Those of us that have been building models for a long time, understand that the Journey is just as important as the Destination.

Having the space to build is also something that is not always available.

My current club has close to 100 members ,but to the best of my knowledge there is only one other builder.
There are several members that assemble and fly Turbine jets.
JMTC.
Alan

Woodway, TX

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: March/26/2023 at 9:19am  Quote

I agree with you Alan, one of the biggest reasons I see is , back when I started you could go to a hobby shop and buy a kit and everything you needed for your project, now the stores are all gone and also the kits.

I now buy plans, have a kit cutter cut the wood and you know the so on,,,,,,

Without the kits/hobby shops like we had back in the day, it’s very hard for me to get someone into building. They like the planes that we have but when they are told what it takes for me to build them, they just think it’s too much work.

Like Alan said, they are a different breed today.

All I lack is finishing

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: March/26/2023 at 9:40am  Quote

Not to feed to a rant...

There has already been relief from altitude restriction at AMA (FRIA) "sanctioned" events...a
premission granted by the FAA due to the advocacy of the AMA. Current events conducted in
uncontrolled air space are not actually being pressed by either AMA or FAA. FRIA applications
are not currently processed. The FAA is the "only" processor...beginning in September 2023. 

]
] ]