]
Author / Post
Avatar User Offline GiantModeler
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: January/16/2022 at 9:32pm  Quote

My name is Bren and I’ve been an aeromodeller for about 70 years. But I have been flying RC for “only” 45. Since day one, my prime interest has been scale.

Fourteen months ago I contracted Covid, spent 10 days in the hospital (five in ICU), and, in spite of having multiple comorbidities, survived. During my initial recuperation, I had an epiphany. I had been assembling far too many ARFS. I hadn’t built from a stack of lumber for over 20 years!

Now, there is nothing wrong with Almost Ready to Fly models. As a matter of fact, they give newcomers a speedy entry into the hobby. And they gave me some satisfaction, but not the joy of accomplishment that comes with building from plans or kits.

So, as soon as I was able to walk across a room without panting, I ordered a Beaver from Moustache Model Works, worked steadily on it as my health improved, and flew it in September. I was once again hooked!

The deliberate building pace better suited my still compromised stamina. And incorporating scale details as I went along removed the frustrations I had with ARFs that were “not quite right.”

As you can probably tell for my join date, I have been mostly lurking for 13 years. It’s time to come out and become a more active participant in what I consider a most congenial and helpful conversation, the very best anywhere to be found on the Internet.

I look forward to learning more from this community as well as contributing from time to time. But, more importantly, the camaraderie on this forum is without a doubt the finest of all the other RC forums. I hope to share in that.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: January/16/2022 at 10:15pm  Quote

Modeling for 70 years...and lurking on RCSB for 13...now THAT is impressive!   Welcome out of the shadows. 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: January/16/2022 at 10:29pm  Quote

Welcome to the light 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of New Zealand New Zealand
IP Logged
Posted: January/17/2022 at 1:05am  Quote

Welcome from a fellow lurker and occasional commenter, hard to know whether to be inspired or discouraged by the masters on this site. 

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: January/17/2022 at 10:04am  Quote

Bren:

Firstly: glad to hear of your recovery from the virus. It was not mentioned whether or not you got the shots & boosters but you’re back in the light & that’s what counts. I’ve had my shots (& booster) & yet still not taking any chances & my wife & I are in our own self-imposed quarantine. So far, fingers crossed, we’re okay.

Like yourself, this has allowed me more time for modeling at my own pace. The detailing is what gives me great satisfaction of knowing I put my own stamp on it as a way of identifying this model as “Mine.” I may not be as good as Hammerd’s magnificent H.P. 0/400 but I’m improving each day & on each model.

Congratulations on your “Coming out” in a modeling way, that is.

Cheers,

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: January/17/2022 at 10:51am  Quote

Thank you everyone for your warm welcome.

Skyediamonds,

When my wife (of 53 years) and I caught the bug, vaccines were still in the trial phase. We had taken all the recommended precautions, yet we both tested positive. I visited with some very brave nurses and doctors for a week and a half; she remained at home in isolation, completely asymptomatic. Like a good husband, I bore the brunt of the illness.

As soon as the vaccines became available in our area, we both got jabbed. Six weeks later, the same. Because I had adverse reactions to both injections, much worse on the second, our doctor advised me to skip the booster.

That’s just me. I strongly recommend anyone who is medically able to get vaccinated and boosted. Period.

Covid-19 is something you don’t want to grapple with.

Admin Group
Admin Group
RCSB Owner/Founder
IP Logged
Posted: January/17/2022 at 11:34am  Quote

Hi Bren,

Glad you introduced your self and thank you for your support. So what's next on the building bench?

Cheers,
Mike

Update Your Browser!

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: January/17/2022 at 1:20pm  Quote

Thank you, Mike.

I'm currently miles away from the workshop at the insistence of my better half. On the bench at home sits a Dynaflite quarter-scale Fly Baby built to the point that it is just a few sanding strokes away from covering.

While we are here in Florida, I am working on a dashboard, seat, and dummy engine for that model. Could you recommend a place on the forum to post progress on those mini-projects?

Bren

]
] ]