] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: December/11/2020 at 9:56am  Quote

The Man with the "Right Stuff" passed away December 7th.
A friend sent me this from the Pearly Gates.

Scratch Jennin Taube
Proctor D7
Toni Clark Sopwith Pup
Flight of the Phoenix
GTM 1/3 Fok EV
Kauffmann No.1
Next: Don Smith Ki-27 Nate

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: December/11/2020 at 10:46am  Quote

Met General Yeager back in the later '90s. I was an aircraft mechanic for Northwest Airlines at the time and they were filming a TV commercial with him in it. I was working in the instrument shop at the time, the gyro shop to be exact which was a clean room within the shop. Next as I recall, the door opened and Chuck Yeager was standing in the doorway. He cordially greeted us, said to keep 'em flying, but that he had to move on. Not a very tall man as I recall, it still was an honor.

Dan

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: December/11/2020 at 11:20am  Quote

General Chuck Yeager may not be tall physically, but in my book he’s a giant among us aviators & enthusiasts alike. Never had the honor of personally meeting him.

I’ve seen his interview on YouTube describing some of his test flying. The movie “Right Stuff” shows him flying the NF-104 into near space. During his interview Chuck says he used to fly that plane several times & spin that plane “Oh, about 40 times...”. Are you kidding? Spinning an F-104?? I’ll always look up to him & Hoover as one of the (very) few “Old & Bold.”

I met his chase pilot & close friend, (late) Bob Hoover. He was gracious enough to allow me to take a picture of him posing with my daughter & son. Truly a gentleman.

I’ve read both books of Yeager & Hoover. Incredible exploits!

If you ever get the chance, Google Hoover’s famous barrel roll act in his Shrike Commander. Bob had the camera mounted inside the cabin. He performs a slow barrel roll while pouring a glass of water from a pitcher into a glass that was mounted on the dash! Didn’t spill a drop.

Gary

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/26/2021 at 10:43am  Quote

Bob Hoover was much more of a man that Yeager.  Met both.   Yeager had an ego that barely fit through the door. 
Bob was one of the most gracious men I have ever met.  No ego but his flying skills, in my opinion, were better than Yeager.  Bob Hoover was the back up for the X-1 run.  Yeager had broken ribs 2 or 3 days prior to his famous speed run but still went.  He did not want Hoover to get the run.

Everything is electric.

From Northwest WI

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/26/2021 at 3:06pm  Quote

I heard that about Yeager’s ego. I’ve heard both good & not-so-pleasant. Guess it’s a matter of personal opinion.

As I said previously, I only met Bob & he’s been gracious with my (feeble) request to pose with my kids. I’m sure he’s been inundated thousands of times to pose during his career & he reacted as if I was his first.

The pictures today have been enlarged, matted & mounted on the walls of my daughter’s home. Although she’s a successful surgical nurse practitioner, she a Mustang groupie & Bob is her idol.

Cheers,

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/26/2021 at 6:11pm  Quote

Quote: Skyediamonds
I heard that about Yeager’s ego. I’ve heard both good & not-so-pleasant. Guess it’s a matter of personal opinion.

As I said previously, I only met Bob & he’s been gracious with my (feeble) request to pose with my kids. I’m sure he’s been inundated thousands of times to pose during his career & he reacted as if I was his first.

The pictures today have been enlarged, matted & mounted on the walls of my daughter’s home. Although she’s a successful surgical nurse practitioner, she a Mustang groupie & Bob is her idol.

Cheers,

That is really awesome!

Everything is electric.

From Northwest WI

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/26/2021 at 6:49pm  Quote

I met Chuck when I was in the AF. He was our base commander. While I was just new to the base my viddy pointed Col Yeager out standing outside the BX.
Every fighter pilot I ever met had an Ego. I think you need one in that business because it's a ****ed dangerous job.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: November/11/2021 at 1:37pm  Quote

In 1961, on my first airline trip, at the age of 14, I shared a over-wing isle seat with Gen Yeager. The flight was rough and I was green most of the way. He saw my distress and we talked, alot. When we landed in El Paso to meet my uncle, I was going down the air stairs first and GY was a few stairs behind me. Walking across the tarmac, I saw my uncle as he walked right by me to say hi the GY.

Turns out, they shared and office at Lockheed and worked on the F-104 project for two tears. Learned a bunch of real Yeager, the man, from my uncle for the next 2 weeks.

Fast forward to the 199? Rose Parade Pilots Meeting, when GY flew Glennis with the B2. I was a Law Enforcement Pilot included in the meeting.

After the briefing, while standing with other pilots, Gy tapped me on the shoulder and said to me, "You are Carl M......s nephew!?

I was without words!!!!!! He didn't remember my name. But the fact he remembered a 14 now 40 something kid and greated me with sincere professionalism was a life-time moments.

I personally don't need to read about the man, I can say I know a real part of him..........

]
] ]