] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: July/16/2020 at 6:13pm  Quote

By next year Top Gun will be back on schedule...with the wealth of amenities in and around Lakeland. Frankie's during the day and great places to eat for dinner! 

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/16/2020 at 8:35pm  Quote

As a former member and president of the Weak Signals, starting in 1971, it could easily be called the "Greatest Show on Earth!"  Like so many events, it had it's rise and fall due to various reasons.  I have fond memories of it's rise, but would estimate the start of the decline around the turn of the century.  From my point of view, the interest in traditional hobbies, in general, have declined due to folks having less time for them.  Perhaps, one of the biggest reasons for the decline, is increased cost of merchandise due to the much improved technology.  Sixty years ago, we scratch built airplanes because ready to fly kits were not available.  Our love of the hobby was assembling the model with our own hands and skillfully finishing it.  Today, we can purchase a favorite model with little to no skill, but that all comes at a cost.  Furthermore, we seemed to have more time for our hobbies back then.  Today, everyone has an overloaded plate and hard pressed to spend the time in the work shop.  The hobby has been infiltrated with the NOW set that wants instant gratification and that has likely encouraged foreign interests to manufacture ready built products, and at a cheaper price than possible in the US. As a kid, I built rubber band powered Comet and Sterling models that cost $0.25. All of these factors, IMHO, have had a major impact on the RC hobby, the Weak Signals Show, as well as other traditional hobbies.  As an added thought, how many hobby shops are around today compared to twenty to fifty years ago?  Further, I believe the major distributors and the internet drove private shops out of business by competing at lower prices!  In many cases, the shop staff were our technical support!  Over the years, I recall many airplane hobbyists that experienced and extension of their military aviation career.  Not so many today!  It's just a sign of the times!  Like so many, I will sorely miss the Toledo Show, even though I have not been a Weak Signals member for several years. There are too many to mention that contributed to the sixty five years of the Greatest Show! 

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Admin Group
Admin Group
RCSB Owner/Founder
IP Logged
Posted: July/16/2020 at 10:54pm  Quote

Quote: ScaleAero
Looks like Horizon and FMS moved to Georgia. Everything is stacks and tables.
They have so many people show up they don't want to give footprint for formal
booths. People from S. Va. to Texas to Florida swarming amidst peanut plants...
and pre-BBQ (hogs).

Would be interesting what the ticket sales were last year...pre-CV-19. This has
been churning along for at least 25 years. Lodging, has it improved? I had two
customers in Perry and had to stay nearly 30 miles away.

Modern facility that is kept pig pen clean...literally. Would be fabulous to find
somewhere we could fly into. 

Yes there is plenty of lodging seeing how an average of 8,00 to 10,000 people visit the swap meet each year over two days. If your friends had to get a room 30 miles away they didn't plan ahead very well. Like any large event, showing up the day-of without hotel reservations is a bad idea.

Will keep everyone posted this winter if I can find a good place there to host us. Not interested in doing it in Lakeland at all (an additional 6 hours of driving for anyone coming from up north). 

Mike

Update Your Browser!

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/17/2020 at 2:09am  Quote

Gentlemen:
I read each & every post & I too share the same sentiments. I’ve never had the chance to personally attend such an event but I’ve watched it through various media dozens of times & peppered those who were fortunate to visit the venue with a thousand questions.

Sabre09 brought up an interesting point of people “.... having too much on their plate & not enough time to enjoy the actual build itself....”. Or words to that effect, implying instant gratification with ARFs & cheaper markets from overseas. It’s with great irony that he should mention it during this era of the 21st century with all these so-called energy-saving devices doing the chores for us (think Roombat that self vacuuming cleaner, dish washers, servers performing our emails & paying bills as well as performing banking services, self-driving cars, motorized toothbrushes, microwave ovens cooking our dinners in five minutes or less, the list goes on), one would think of that 1970’s song “Year 2525” where our arms & legs are rendered useless with all this free time on our hands as “... some machine is doing that for you.” Or think of that poignant animated movie “Walley” where everyone is sitting & living in chairs enjoying virtual reality as they sip their daily nutrients.   We should have more free time to enjoy Life & of course our hobby.

I’ll make it a point to attend whatever event is decided once this darn virus is eliminated. I’m just worried about our aftermarket vendors.

Gary

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/17/2020 at 7:00pm  Quote

Sabre09 and Skydiamonds hit the nail on the head!

I started working with Bob Banka at the Toledo Expo the year, or two, after the show moved to the Seagate Center.  During the time span until now I watched his business go from a viable income business to a trickle of its former self.  Janet and I purchased the business just to keep it available to those with scale in their blood.  I have watched the hobby in general decline as per the two posts.  I have purchased two ARFs over the years out of curiosity and the quality was lousy.  I just purchased a damaged ARF supplied from one of the major suppliers, who is now out of business, to detail for Open Scale competition.  The quality of this recent ARF is no different then the others, in fact it is assembled with hot melt glue.  In contrast, I have a plane I built from a kit of the same supplier and it has over 40 hours of flying on it.  I learned how to read blueprints by building models.  I learned mechanical actuation by building models.  Flying models taught me aerodynamics.  All of which I use for my full time design employment as well as my full scale flying and mechanics work.  While I mourned the status of our hobby, at least the Toledo Expo gave a glimmer of hope each Spring.  The Greatest Show brought all in the hobby together for a weekend where each could pursue the areas of the hobby where his interests lay.  Hopefully, some organization will allow another venue for the vendors to gather and present their new products.  I always like to look at the new products before I purchase.
Smooth Air to all,
Dave

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/17/2020 at 8:02pm  Quote

GrumnanD:
Despite my own line of super-detailed photos in b+w & my competitor was Bob Banka whose photos were in color, we were best of friends! In fact, I flew Bob in a rented Cessna-172 to an airshow in California where we camped out & took detailed photos of aircraft on display. I wondered what happened to his collection. Now I know. Small world indeed. Please give him my best regards.

Gary

]
] ]