Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Show Your Stuff!!!>Flightline FW-190 foamie Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump  
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Avatar User Offline allanflowers
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: April/12/2020 at 6:41pm  Quote

Most of the projects on this site blow me away. The level of talent, skill and dedication actually make me feel kind of inferior. However, it is very inspiring - so it is worth it to follow along closely. The good news here is that my project is not going to make anyone feel bad about their work. This is just a few days of effort on a rather mundane foamie ARF that I think of as a learning project (inspired by the work shown here).
I have never tried “weathering”, other than to keep a Camel or Siemens Schuckert from looking rediculously brand-new. And the days are probably over when I would consider taking on another 1500 hour project, especially since recently moving to a house without a good workshop.
On the other hand, I have gotten more into flying, primarily with foamies. They are still (mostly) scale and the detail is quite good, at least from a few feet away. Furthermore, I can explore an interest in WW-II planes rather than dealing with the endless frustration of WW-I models (fly-repair-fly-repair...). My garage ceiling now sports five WW-II foamie fighters, mixed in with the surviving Pup, Camel, etc.
With the Covid-19 isolation, both of the local fields where I fly are closed and will probably remain so for a while. Boredom is taking hold and the weathering challenge seems to offer a distraction. The most recent of those foamies adorning my ceiling is a 44” FlightLine FW-190. It is nice although a little small. The other 190s are too big to fit into my little Scion xB.
Having followed along with some of your projects, I gathered up some old Testors paints and raided the oils from my wife’s studio (at least she got an improved art studio in this new house).
This weathering project was quite limited, all done in two days, using only Testors silver and oil black & ocher. I was NOT going to go slowly, incrementally creeping up on the results – it’s only a foamy. The other part of this project was supplementing the decals/stickers for scale (due primarily to the PC nature of things) and dealing with the crummy peel & stick decals on this old product, most of which did not adhere worth a ****. The narrow and small ones were horrible and had to be applied with two-way snot-tape which I use a lot. Some just went in the trash. Also, I tend to use acrylic floor finish (Pledge or Future) to even out the finish on these foamies. This adds a level of sheen that may enrage the purists but I don’t care. The acrylic also seals down the lousy stickers and can even serve to cement the little ones in place. The non-PC cross on the tail, which is a must for a scale effort, was done in Photoshop and printed on bond paper – added to the tail fin with that snot tape.
Please don’t look too close at these photos… It stopped raining for a few hours but I couldn’t get out to the field where there would be a decent background.
Again, thanks to the talented guys on this site who have been reporting how they did their weathering. Please forgive me for taking your ideas and running crazy with them.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United Kingdom United Kingdom
IP Logged
Posted: April/13/2020 at 8:05am  Quote

Nice!

I was very dismissive of foamies when they first came out but you have to say that they fly SO well.  I prefer the PZ ones that are not loaded up with retracts/flaps/lights  but credit where its due,I will not be building any more 25 size balsa models while foamies are around.

Yours shows what can be done

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: April/13/2020 at 7:49pm  Quote

Thanks for sharing - its not all Balsa and fiberglass anymore.  I suspect we are going to see many more models like yours and people will quickly develop techniques\skills that will place them over the top.    

Time for all of us to start thinking outside the box.  

It may also make reasonable for younger people to get into the hobby - especially on a limited budget.

Keep up the great work.

Michael

Trying to finish building a Ziroli P47
Framing a Kellogg TBM Avenger

Future Projects - shortlist
Short List - there's no such thing as a shortli

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Avatar User Offline allanflowers
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: April/15/2020 at 2:17pm  Quote

I think it's all about trying new things and learning new techniques. In the past, I have taken on a project for the purpose of learning more about metal fabrication. Another one, I really got into making my own clevises and turnbuckles (not a very good idea it turned out). Another one was exploring slot-tab construction design on a for-scale kit, including an elaborate build manual (for the thirty people who bought that model).
With these WW-II foamies, I find the LEDs, retracts and flaps are something very new and interesting, especially from a flying standpoint.
On the weathering, I read all the time about not going too far. For me, I don't learn where that point is until I have blown way past it. Too late but... then I know.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of Taiwan Taiwan
IP Logged
Posted: April/15/2020 at 5:49pm  Quote

Quote: allanflowers
On the weathering, I read all the time about not going too far. For me, I don't learn where that point is until I have blown way past it. Too late but... then I know.

For me, I do a little and then walk away for a bit.  Then, I judge my first reaction when I return to the model to see where to take it.

I think you've done quite well.

I agree that foamies are a cheap (time-wise) and fun investment to learn new techniques that can be applied to your more labor-intensive projects.

]
] ]