Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Introduce Yourself>What I did on my summer vacation :-) Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 3 Pages 1 2 3
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: February/04/2019 at 8:55am  Quote

Hello everyone!

Some of you remember me, some maybe not, but FWIW I'm back.  I joined the site in the early days when Mike created the site, and was a heavy user for many years, up until about 2010.

The great recession of 2008 had me re-assessing my professional life, and like so many I changed careers and had to spend a lot more energy on making a living.  I switched from the computer industry to the solar industry, re-tooling and re-learning along the way.

This is me cleaning my array :-)  I now work for a company called Tigo Energy in Los Gatos, CA as a Sales Engineer.  We make DC optimizers that help arrays produce more power.

I dabbled with drones for a year or so, but decided it wasn't something I wanted to do full-time.

In 2015 I decided that if I wanted to learn to fly FS, I had better do it soon because at 58 I already notice senior moments starting to creep in :-)  I decided to start with gliders.  I flew the Grob 103 out of Byron, CA for a little over a year and logged 18 hours.

I'm sharing my FS flying experience not to brag, but because I figure that some of you (like me) may consider doing it, and maybe you can learn something from my experience.

I decided to switch to powered a/c at that point for various reasons.  The biggest reason - there is a powered flight school much closer to my house.  I ended up at Aerodynamic Aviation at Reid Hillview Airport in San Jose, CA.  Great operation, run by a super lady named Jen.  I had some great instructors and logged over 100 hours in the Bellanca Citabria.

The Citabria is a sweet plane, stick and rudder flying at it's best.  I did about 4 hours of solo flying, including some awesome fly-overs of San Luis Reservoir and nearby solar farms.

Last month (Jan 2019) after four years of flying, I decided to stop for a variety of reasons:
  • Safety -- I made a few mistakes which were potentially dangerous.  It brought it home how high the stakes are when flying FS.  Accidents result in more than a truck full of broken airplane :-)
  • Fatigue -- For four years we have had to plan weekends around flying.  When I don't fly, I get rusty -- fast.  Even 2-3 weeks with no flying and there is noticeable regression, making the training take that much longer and more frustrating.
So, like so many others (roughly 80% of those who start the training) I have decided to stop for now.  I may try again after I retire.  I'm almost 59, so that's only 6 years away.  Training more often allows the lessons to more effectively build on one another, allowing you to get to that depth of experience where complex, difficult tasks become ingrained and nearly automatic.

Flying full size is largely a mental exercise.  To be a good, safe pilot, you need to be able to perform 3-4 complex, difficult tasks at once.  For example, in the pattern, you need to:
  • Listen very carefully to the radio.  This is challenging because there is always a lot of noise in the background, the voices are often unclear, people talk fast in jargon, etc, etc.  You have to be able to pick out the things that are relevant to you.  Tough.
  • Keep an eye on other traffic.  Other airplanes are often hard to spot, a mile or more away and they are a tiny moving spec moving across a background that is not uniform.
  • Watch your attitude, altitude, airspeed.  This is especially critical in the pattern when you are at low altitude.  Many accidents result from stall/spin in the pattern.
  • Set up your approach.  Carefully control your energy and flight path so you arrive over the numbers at the proper height and airspeed.
Get the idea?  It's definitely not for the faint of heart :-)  The mental and vision degradation that inevitably comes with age doesn't help.  I have found myself wishing I started earlier.

Also -- the airspace I've been flying in is very complex and very *busy*.  That means you have to be constantly on the lookout for other airplanes, and the radio is constant non-stop chatter that you *must* listen to carefully to pick out the information that you need.

In four years of flying and a bit over 120 hours, I've spent about $30,000 (don't tell the wife that number :-)  So, it isn't cheap either.  Many people quit because of financial exhaustion.

Having said all that, it's an amazing experience that you'll never forget.  For me at least, it is definitely worth all of the effort and expense.  But, you should go into it with your eyes open and with full knowledge of what you're up against.  I think some people go into it with unrealistic expectations and they are the first ones to quit.

Gary

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: February/04/2019 at 10:00am  Quote

Welcome back Gary!  Glad to see you back on RCSB.  :-)

I've always toyed with trying FS aviation, but recognized early on that I just could not give it the commitment it required.  Sounds like it was a great experience for you.  Looking forward to your new scale R/C endeavors! 

Paul

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: February/04/2019 at 10:45am  Quote

As someone with epilepsy (controlled with medication)  never seriously considered learning to fly.  And given the life-spans of most of my models that's probably a good thing.   It's not that I'm a bad RC pilot but eventually, either via a mechanical problem or dumb thumbs, the model makes a "very sudden" landing. So no full-scale flying for me, thank you.

Drones?  They're even worse than helis...and I hate helis.

Welcome back to the fold.

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: February/04/2019 at 11:56pm  Quote

Gary,

As one "Gary" to another Gary, I say "Welcome back" to the RCSB site.  I too, flew private planes, but for me it was until financial exhaustion.  Still, wouldn't change a thing.   Wow, what a coincidence!   

I then moved up to Reno and started flying over Lake Tahoe.  I totally agree that flying requires many hats to be worn at the same time.  Difference?  I was born 93% deaf in both ears.  Yep, I also speak and understand sign language.  If only the controllers would look a little more carefully........ 

You can see my (small) build threads of Super Detailing Guillow's S.E.5 and Wright Bros' Flyer under "Other Kits" and on page two.  I'm currently modeling a Guillow's Mustang for my daughter. 

Sincerely,

Skye (Gary)

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: February/05/2019 at 12:51am  Quote

I like the idea of "flying free over open country."  But airspace in many areas has become so crowded and controlled that it just wouldn't appeal to me.

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of Australia Australia
IP Logged
Posted: February/05/2019 at 2:36am  Quote

I've considered learning to fly for most of my life.

For the past 8 years we've lived very close to a large lake, so we bought a small catamaran.  Then, a few years later, we sold the catamaran because it wasn't making it to the lake.

Therefore I've reconciled myself to the fact that learning to fly shall remain nothing more than a consideration.

Thanks for the interesting account of your experience.  It fits very much into the concept that I have long suspected to be the truth of the matter.

Currently Flying:
Proctor VK 1/6 Camel
FlexInnovations Mamba 10
Sig Hummer

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of Germany Germany
IP Logged
Posted: February/05/2019 at 4:56am  Quote

Hello Gary,
thanks for your sensitive report about flying real ones and welcome back to the forum!

I, too, wanted to fly 1:1 planes in earlier years of my life - I am 68 now. But at some point I decided that building big models (third scale) of WWI aeroplanes is absolutely more fun except the fact you don't move away from a field into beautiful air space over beautiful landscapes.
The last time I was allowed to fly a Cessna was over Dallas/FW area where a friend of friends who was the owner/pilot of the plane let me take over for a while. Sure it was fun to fly exact course and fly into field approach (when he took over again :-) ) But I was stressed after the landing and in the hot TX sun it wasn't so much fun anymore.

The very last time I was allowed to control a full size aeroplane was when riding in a Tiger Moth over Devon, England, when the pilot after a long chat about my 1/3 model Tiger said shortly after take off:"ok, she's yours! Just head for the coastline". Man, that was so much greater than the Cessna ride! But again... after landing I was very stressed out.

So I came to the conclusion model flying is the right thing for me (I had started in the early 70s with gliders and the typical beginner models) because:
1. I can build what I fly
2. It is great fun to deal with so many different fields of building, like woods, metal, electronics, sewing, aerodynamics, and finally flying!
3. I actually can fly my Sopwith Pup, Camel, Fokker DVII, Fokker E.I, Albatros DVa, Be2c, Blackburn, Bristol M1.... (to be continued and some in building threads here on RCSB) which I could never ever in full scale.
But on a fine day, maybe in the setting sun, flying one of those models is always (!) a dream come true.
And with some imagination I AM FLYING there - plus the benefit to be able to look at it from the outside!
Conclusion: I never missed flying 1:1 having so much fun, so much satisfaction with my big scale models.....!
So, welcome back again and hope to see some of your new activities here!
Best regards from Germany
Tilman

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: February/05/2019 at 5:24am  Quote

Quote: Aida_w
But I was stressed after the landing and in the hot TX sun it wasn't so much fun anymore.

"The propeller is the fan that keeps the pilot cool.  Turn it off and watch the pilot sweat!"

]
] ]