]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of Canada Canada
IP Logged
Posted: September/20/2018 at 2:57pm  Quote

Hello Everyone I am Andrew,

I am new to RCSB. I'm from Ontario, Canada.  I have been flying R/C Airplanes for about 16 years now. I have mainly been flying 3D aircraft. I have recently been given a 1980's 1/4 Scale Piper J3 Cub. I plan to rebuild it and make every bit of the plane as scale and detailed as possible.

I have already stripped the plane of its covering and removed the old electronics the previous owner had in there.
I would appreciate any tips and advice to help me along the way with this build.

I would like to make it a Gas powered plane, however I am completely new to Gas. I currently fly electric and nitro.
The plane came with ( and has been flown by previous owner) with a Qudra engine, not sure what size yet.

Please send me your tips and tricks

Thank you,

Andrew

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: September/20/2018 at 3:04pm  Quote

Andrew,

Welcome to the RCSB site.  Glad to have you onboard.  I'm sure there'll be plenty of members willing to help you with your quest on detailing the Piper Cub.  That's always a beautiful aircraft in everyone's heart.  Do you have any photo references?  There should be a ton of them on the Internet.  If not, let me know and I'll try to dig up some.  Might take me awhile to visit my storage facilty but I'm sure I can find some pictures of the aircraft that were taken in detail including the interior.

I was fortunate enough to go for a ride as a passenger at least three times in a Cub.  The old adage, "Take off at 60 mph, cruse at 60 mph and land at 60 mph seems to hold true.  My very first introduction to the Cub, the pilot performed a beautiful barrel roll and did a few "Bob Hoover" one wheel landings on each main.  Couldn't stop smiling for weeks.

Good luck,

Skye 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: September/20/2018 at 5:06pm  Quote

Hi Skye,

Thanks for the welcoming! Yes I have found quite a few references, photos, and I have found plans with I printed off. I wpuwo to find a store where I can order scale parts, if not I will have to make my own, which could be a fun project. I am also quite jealous of you that you got to fly in the full scale cub! I hope to have that opportunity myself sometime. I love how simple the Piper J3 Cub is.

Cheers

Merkel

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: September/20/2018 at 5:19pm  Quote

Welcome to the site Andrew! Its a great place!

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: September/21/2018 at 12:38pm  Quote

Merkel,

Thank you for the "jealously" but it was just luck that I happened to be at the right place and time.  Caught the pilot in a good mood while I was taking detailed photos of his pride and joy.  After we flew for a few minutes, he told me over the intercom to grab the two inverted "V" front bars.  Had no idea what he was up to until we were upside down.  Great surprise and lots of fun.  Really made my day when he landed "Bob Hoover" style first on the left, bounced up and then gently landed on the right main, bounced up and landed on both with equal calm.  

We kept in touch for several years after that, but we lost contact.  This was about 30 years ago.

This site has many different avenues to help you source out for parts.  There's the column devoted to helping you look for your accessories.  Just look on the upper right-hand corner of this window and you should see various advertisements flash off and on.  One of them says they'll search for the desired part for you.  If you list some of the parts or accessories desired to complete the Cub, then I'm sure many of our members who surf the site will stop by and look over your list and offer their help.

Are you looking for fabric-weave covering?  Wheels?  Interior dials?    Just put it out there and see what happens.

Good luck,

Skye

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: September/21/2018 at 1:05pm  Quote

Hey Skye,

That is way to cool about the Cub Flight you had!

Thank you for your help in finding info for my Cub Build!

Merkel

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: September/21/2018 at 1:31pm  Quote

Welcome to the site Merkel, if you have not started a thread on your rebuild do so. You will find plenty of assistance from the members of this site.

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: September/21/2018 at 1:43pm  Quote

Quote: graphic5
Welcome to the site Merkel, if you have not started a thread on your rebuild do so. You will find plenty of assistance from the members of this site.

Hi Graphic5!

I haven't yet, but I`m not sure where I should start the thread. Also should I just copy and paste my opening intro somewhere else to get more hits on info?

Thank you,

Merkel

]
] ]