Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Introduce Yourself>Gidday from South Aussie Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 2 Pages 1 2
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of Australia Australia
IP Logged
Posted: August/26/2018 at 7:26pm  Quote

Hello all, 

I just joined and thought I would say "Gidday". I am a retired Air Traffic Controller and have been building model planes for as long as I can remember.

I was attracted by the FB advert showing the Fokker Trimotor article. This is relevant because I am enjoying the book "Smithy" which relates a huge amount of detail about Charles Kingsford Smith and Co. And of course we have the replica Southern Cross, which, I believe is now restored. The replica was originally built (and crashed) here in Adelaide, South Australia.
I am an avid RC flyer and past scale builder. Unfortunately not so prolific with the building now, thanks to ARF kits. I have done some nice models including Cessna Birddog from the Pilot kit and Bucker Jungmeister from a kit (Dave Platt?)

My shed has too many half-completed projects. I am hoping this forum will give me renewed enthusiasm for them.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: August/27/2018 at 7:58am  Quote

Hi young man - welcome to RCSB.

We almost all suffer from the lost interest or burnout bug when building.  Try finding a task you can compete in 15-20 minutes, see if that gets you going.

BTW - there is a Southern Cross thread here somewhere, pretty far along as I remember.

Let me know if I can help

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/27/2018 at 8:53am  Quote

Talking about your planes and builds is a big inspiration with others. I bet your projects have a story or two behind them...

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: August/28/2018 at 3:08pm  Quote

Howdy from Texas and welcome.  You won't meat a friendlier or more willing to help bunch anywhere on the WWW.  Great guys, lots of expertise, and willing to share.  I've been a member about 1 week and already in overload from what these guys are teaching me.  I'm new to this side of the hobby with a large desire to learn and apply the expertise you folks impart. 

South Australia?  Does that mean your "down under" the great Down Under?  :)

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: August/28/2018 at 3:29pm  Quote

Gidday Rowdyjoe,
Yes indeed. South Australia in the Land Down Under is where I am. Spring is about to burst upon us after a long cold and windy winter. We can fly all year round but the warmer weather is better.

My scale building is generally from kits. My favourite for some years now is the Sig Clipped Wing Cub at quarter scale. I am intending to get started on the one third Sig Spacewalker soon. It has been sitting in its box on a high shelf for at least fifteen years!

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: August/28/2018 at 3:52pm  Quote

Very close to the bottom of the world eh?  :)

I figure I've destroyed enough ARFs so, I though I might try my hand at a kit.  I have acquired an OLD Sig 1/4 Cub and have stripped down the fuselage and tail feathers for recovering.  This will be my first attempt at covering with fabric and I'm looking forward to the challenge.  The folks here have been tremendously helpful.  I now wish I had built my planes from kits over the years but, was too impatient so, I assembled ARFs.

At my age, the old reflexes are slowing down so, I'm looking for larger and slower planes these days. 
We usually fly all year long but, we too have short stints of bad weather (ice and snow and high winds).  I live in North Central Texas (Dallas/Ft.Worth area) and it gets cold here for a couple of months.  However, if the temp is below 50 f, I won't fly.  Too cold for the old body. 

I have recently acquired a Corby Starlet (81" wing span) and it came with a Saito FA270T.  The cosmetics are a bit rough but, I was extremely lucky to find a "new" ARF of the Starlet at one of our local swap meets.  It's never been assembled, all the parts are there, and in excellent condition.  I'm looking forward to getting this one in the air but, the old Cub is first in line.  

I'm looking forward to seeing your work on Spacewalker.

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: September/20/2018 at 8:18pm  Quote

Another G'day from Encounter Bay, South Australia.

I'm not new to model building but have not been involved for many years. Now being retired I have been looking for a project. 
I good mate of mine, when he moved "found" a model RC Yacht that he had purchased several years before and no idea how to build it, so he said "here build this for me" which I have now completed and handed it back to him.
During the process I (although I enjoyed the build) decided that yachts are not for me so I searched around and have ordered a 58" Tiger Moth from DB Sport and Scale (UK). It's on it's way and I can't wait!!!!
Being born in Cambridge, UK and living there until I was 12, I have many fond memories of Tiggies doing touch and goes from Marshall's airfield (site of WWII EFTS where many Tiggies were based. Summer days with the sound of a Gipsy Major engine overhead. It was a natural choice.
But my how things have moved on with materials, engine choice and radio equipment... this is going to be fun!
Cheers

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: September/20/2018 at 8:43pm  Quote

Howdy Jimmy2,
    Welcome from Texas. 
I've owned a few floaters over the years but, was never tempted to build a model of one.  Someone once described a boat/yacht as a hole in the water you pour money in to.  :)   I'd rather throw my money into the air so, I'll stick to those things with wings.  :)

I'm a sucker for biplanes, especially the WWI style.  They look very elegant in the air and on the ground.  I look forward to following the reports of your build.

Garry

]
] ]