]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of Sweden Sweden
IP Logged
Posted: March/13/2017 at 2:17pm  Quote

Hi everybody!
Im Matt, 46 years old. When I was about 13, I got very involved in learning to fly RC-controlled planes. Two of the old and skilled memebers in the club took me to the field almost every weekend to let me fly remote with a Josefin (a talidragging biplane).
Simultaniosly I bould a trainer called Happy 20S. It was a trainer with ailerons.
With time I wanted to build something bigger and faster. In a local RC magazine called Modellflygnytt I fould my project. It was a midwinged model to be build just from plans, but a material kit was possible to order. I dit it and this model, a 40-50 size, called Limbo was with me several years. I found other interstĀ“s, you know how it works, and the time for the hobby was hard to find. It ended at the age of 17 while flying a club competition in the art of "Limbo". Yep, I hit the ground, came in to steep to pass under the bloddy line and crashed.
Saved my wreck for probably 20 years until my mother sold her house. Dumped it, AND a project that I started while I was probably about 16 year old that I also had kept all the years. A Piper Pawnee, one wing 75% done, stab and fin 75% and the fuselage 35% done. All of it in the garbage, the Pawnee def hurted to get rid of...

Now, back to the hobby again. Two years ago I had a longer period of sick leave from work and felt I needed a project to get my minds on. I got a Multiplex Cularis sailer. Ordered engine, BEC and servos seprately. Realized I need a new radio (had my old Futaba Gold 7 chan still....) som a new Futaba T10J was bought. Wow, things have happened in 30 years.
Got some help from a friend that is competing abroad with RC sailplanes to program the radio for my Cularis. Wow, I have all the mixes on it now. Now fly a Carl Goldberg Ultimate 10-300 with a OS 91 Surpass.

Right now I have been recomended to join this fantastic group/forum because I have got seriously interested in building a Fairey Fantome from Jerry Bates plans.
Plans are ordered, a book and a old magazine too. Planning to use a Laser engine converted to gas.....but this will take some time before I need.
Anyway, I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET FROM YOU ALL to get this beautiful aeroplane to the sky.
Will start my build thread here when I start building. Need to get some tools and a serious place to spend the building hours in. Probably not a good idea to build it in the bathroom as i did with the Cularis. lol

Im gratefully following Mr GraemeĀ“s Fantome build thread.

Cheers!

Matt

Busy building: Bob Bishop / Jerry Bates Fairey Fantome

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of Australia Australia
IP Logged
Posted: March/13/2017 at 3:03pm  Quote

Hi from Australia Matt,
Good to see you have joined the scale modelling community, on your return to RC Modelling.
You will find Graeme,s build on the Fantome very helpful, as he a very experienced builder, and a great bloke.  I am sure he will be more than helpful if you ask him questions

Regards Ian

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: March/13/2017 at 8:48pm  Quote

Midwest USA saying hello!

Sounds like you have the addiction , and its coming back for a second time.. Many people have to wait until later in life to have the room and time for scale type building.

Have fun, if you are..then you are doing it right  ;)

Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of Sweden Sweden
IP Logged
Posted: March/24/2017 at 5:29pm  Quote

Thank you guys for the welcome!

Busy building: Bob Bishop / Jerry Bates Fairey Fantome

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: March/24/2017 at 7:22pm  Quote

Welcome to RCSB Matt.  The Fairey Fantome is a beautiful airplane indeed.  You will soon learn that the depth of knowledge on the site is INCREDIBLE and everyone is willing to help out whenever needed.

David

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

]
] ]