Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Introduce Yourself>Hello getting ready for first plans build Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 2 Pages 1 2
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: July/12/2016 at 3:20pm  Quote

I kit built a Carl Goldberg Eagle II in 1990 that met an early demise and ended my RC career after its first flight. I have been flying again since 2013 mostly ARFs and foam models. I am about to venture into my first attempt at a plans build. I think I picked a fairly simple build as it is an aerobatic plane with fixed gear, a 78" Yak 54.

I am considering a balsa sheeted foam core wing, turtle deck, and belly pan in an attempt to save some weight in the tail section of the plane. Some great videos of vacuum bagging these parts can be found on youtube by terryscustom.

I obtained the plans from another forum and had a short kit laser cut. I plan to source the wood from the local hobby store who gets their wood supplies from Midwest. Foam is the one tricky part. I have been looking for .7 lb/ft³ virgin foam locally but not having any luck. The foam I have found online have minimum orders that are a little larger than I would like to make. Couple that with no experience cutting foam and that has me considering farming out the foam parts if I even go that route. I put in a request for a quote from Eureka today and I will wait on that before I decide on all wood or the combination.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/12/2016 at 3:48pm  Quote

You might try to see if there are any places that makes foam floats for boats form foam for supply supply source. Be leave it or not I found cutting a tapered foam wing easier than cutting a straight wing. I use a sears 12 volt car battery charger to heat the wire with. I've use .020 stainless steel safety wire, but I have had much better results use nichrome wire that Sig used to sell. 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: July/12/2016 at 4:23pm  Quote

Thanks Gary. I have an iCharger 208B that has a foam cutting function. I also have a selection of videos on cutting with an automated table and vacuum bagging. I think I will be good on the wing. the turtle deck concerns me a bit as the tail end has quite a bit of melting to heat and I do not know how much to allow for. I am still searching for the foam. I am sending out feelers to some civil engineers that I know in hopes that they have used foam in some concrete projects. worst case I stick to wood or have the foam cut third party. I sent a set of .pdf plans to a foam cutter for a quote.

I have been up to Broken Arrow many times. Right around the corner from you.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/12/2016 at 4:43pm  Quote

Ok good luck!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: July/12/2016 at 8:16pm  Quote

Quote: hbollier
Thanks Gary. I have an iCharger 208B that has a foam cutting function. I also have a selection of videos on cutting with an automated table and vacuum bagging. I think I will be good on the wing. the turtle deck concerns me a bit as the tail end has quite a bit of melting to heat and I do not know how much to allow for. I am still searching for the foam. I am sending out feelers to some civil engineers that I know in hopes that they have used foam in some concrete projects. worst case I stick to wood or have the foam cut third party. I sent a set of .pdf plans to a foam cutter for a quote.

When I was an ironworker placing rebar we did a couple of tilt-ups where they used foam as a positive mold and poured the concrete on top of it then melted it out after they tilted up the walls.  You might try a general contractor too, to see if they have done anything like that and could source it for you.

whatever, foam ain't cheap!

Let me know if I can help

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: July/13/2016 at 8:44am  Quote

Quote: J_Whitney
Quote: hbollier

When I was an ironworker placing rebar we did a couple of tilt-ups where they used foam as a positive mold and poured the concrete on top of it then melted it out after they tilted up the walls.  You might try a general contractor too, to see if they have done anything like that and could source it for you.

whatever, foam ain't cheap!

Thanks for the tip.

Having it cut ain't cheap either. I just got a quote back for the wing and turtle deck. After cutting the wing, cutting for the wing tube adds another $35. I may have to just dig out the Adjusto Jig and start gluing Balsa. I may still have the turtle deck cut in foam to save tail weight.That will give me a reason to get a vacuum bag set up .  The kit cutter suggested adding 2" to the fuse ahead of the wing because the Plan author flew it with a heavy engine so at least the foam turtle deck would serve a purpose. The plans call for an all up dry weight of 11.8 lbs with a DLE 30 or 14.2 lbs with a MVVS 40. The VVRC 40 twin comes in at 13oz lighter than the MVVS so that should be an all up weight of 13.4 lbs which is acceptable for the purpose of the plane. I will be happy with anything below 13.5lbs.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/13/2016 at 11:28am  Quote

You can also try Flyingfoam.com for wing cores. 

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: July/13/2016 at 5:00pm  Quote

Flying Foam will only quote a price for me if I send them CAD files. 

]
] ]