] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: June/14/2016 at 7:57pm  Quote

I'm new to RC again, I enjoy modeling and have built planes before along with wood ships etc. I'm 57 years old and wanted a hobby that I can enjoy at home especially during the West Viginia winters and do during warm weather such as flying. I'm a machinist by trade so I'm detail oriented by nature. Do any of you have any suggestions for my first kit build? I particularly like war birds but also enjoy airplanes in general. Any suggestions on have to have tools etc?

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: June/14/2016 at 8:26pm  Quote

Hi Terry, welcome to RCScalebuilder!

You probably already have a lot of the stuff you need, but a couple of xacto knives and lots of blades (#11s), a nice small saw - pull saw if you can find one - sanding  blocks and lots of several grits of paper, up to 400 (or more if you are really really serious, but 400 is great).  Oh yeah - a building table.  Something flat and not prone to warping.  If you use pins, then these are pretty good LINK - Hobby Lobby used to sell similar pins to the Midwest ones and they were superior, but I could not find them listed.  T-pins work well too.  Or you could use magnets on a steel sheet.  Check the workshop threads and you should be able to find them.  If you go the pin route, then acoustic ceiling tile is great to pin to, or gypboard.

As far as your first kit - if it has been a while you should probably start with a trainer, then a low wing tail-dragger, then something like a PT-19, then anything you want!  Starting off with a warbird is usually a recipe for disaster.

May I also recommend becoming a site supporter ANOTHER LINK  You will get so much more out than you put it, not only the community of friends but focused information, focused on what YOU are interested in.

Let me know if I can help

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Wayne Baker
IP Logged
Posted: June/14/2016 at 9:41pm  Quote

I have to second Jeff's comment re RCSB site supporter. It's the best money I spend on the hobby. Information, tips, tricks and advice from some of the best modelers in the world and plenty regular folks like you and me (well, me anyway). The people here are friendly and helpful, you just couldn't ask for a better group. Be sure to check out the tutorials. Link Lots of good info there. Also as a site supporter you have access to the walk-arounds like this months P 51.

As for Jeff's trainer comment... I have seen a lot of beautiful warbirds in the trash can. The result of someone in too much of a hurry to learn how to fly first. I have a soft spot for trainers, they saved me a lot of money and are probably the reason I'm still in this hobby. Jeff's advice is sage.

Welcome back to the fold. I hope you have a long and enjoyable stay. Fair sky's and tailwinds.

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: June/15/2016 at 5:51pm  Quote

Thanks for the advice Jeff and Wayne, I have been flying for about 4 months, I am still flying an apprentice, I am using the intermediate mode right now. I have purchased and assembled a hangar 9 8cc P-51 with the Safe system in it and hope to get started flying it within the next couple weeks. What would you suggest for a first full kit build? I am planning on it for a winter project.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: June/15/2016 at 6:28pm  Quote

Hi Terry,

You have already been given some top notch advice but I will throw a couple of cents in here as well.  In regards to your first kit build each person is very different in regards to their skill set and natural aptitude.  I have seen individuals with absolutely zero experience building model aircraft whose first projects were very advanced in nature and yet still turned out as nice as any I have seen.  Others need, or prefer to, start with simpler projects first.  You may be the best judge of you in this regard.  Either way it is never a bad idea to start simple and my recommendation for your first full kit build would be something from among Sig's "Four Star" line up or similar.  These are great kits that are ideal advanced trainers and would go a long way toward preparing you to both build and fly a built up balsa warbird.  They provide a great foundation for learning about the processes and materials used in the construction of your typical balsa wood model.  Beyond that I think you will find that the majority of warbird flyers, myself included, will tell you that the P-47 is about the closest thing to a "warbird trainer" that you will find.  In regards to a full kit of such those offered by Top Flite are about the only options but, fortunately, they are generally outstanding kits with fully illustrated step by step instructions and come highly recommended.  

Welcome and good luck!

Chad Veich  

If it ain't broke, go fly it!

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: June/15/2016 at 6:32pm  Quote

Thanks for the advice Chad

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: June/15/2016 at 6:32pm  Quote

Tburd2 you may want to consider building a intermediate trainer such as a Sig Kavalier. I think it will give you or improve your building skills that you will need to build scale kits, and also improve your flying skills..

Cheers,
Patrick

Patrick

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: June/15/2016 at 6:45pm  Quote

Welcome Terry, I would think any of the BALSA USA WW I kits would get you into sport scale planes that are not that hard to fly, but allows you to add scale details.  The Sopwith Pup 1/4 scale is a very nice flying plane, fairly easy to build and will get your feet wet to building.  I am 71 year old and have sold my fast movers, so the WW I airplanes are very relaxing to fly and the Dawn Patrol events you get to meet a great bunch of guys.

I also highly recommend you become a site supporter for RCSB, well worth the 20 bucks a year.

Here is my 1/4 scale Pup

Fair Winds & Happy Flyin'
        Rich

Rich Richardson
AMA Leader Member
Enid, Ok
Flying: 1/4 Fokker D-VII, 1/4 Sopwith Pup, 1/4 SPAD XIII, Nosen Super Cub, GP Giant Ugly Stick, RC Guys Decathlon

Under Const   Fokker Dr I

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

]
] ]