Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Introduce Yourself>A Utahn glad to be here! Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 2 Pages 1 2
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Avatar User Offline Dodgeramblinman
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: November/19/2015 at 1:28pm  Quote

Hello and thanks for adding me to the site! I am a very new beginner to RC scale building so I am looking forward to learning from the many years of experience available to me from this site. I have about 10 years experience in RC Trucks and Buggys, mostly nitro, but have always loved building models and wanted to start building and flying scale airplanes. I am so dedicated to my new hobby that I have built an 8'X10' shop beside my home for this purpose that has a nice flat counter to work on and several cabinets for storage but that's it! I would really appreciate some input on what tools and materials I should stock it with and maybe which model would be a good place to start my hobby. I have purchased a simulator with a Spektrum DX6i transmitter to get familiar with flying. So with that said I'm off into the big blue yonder....

Oh, I have been investigating different types of battery chargers to purchase and to be honest they are very intimidating. Since batteries are going to be a big part of this hobby where do you all suggest I start, charger wise?

Thanks and don't anyone hesitate to offer any advise you might have!

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: November/19/2015 at 1:51pm  Quote

You will soon learn that building airplanes is really ( starting a glue collection !)   all sorts and types.

Also look for good deals on small clamps, and different cutting and sanding tools.

Be forewarned though, if you catch the bug ... building is an addiction...  ;)

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: November/19/2015 at 2:46pm  Quote

Welcome to RCSB!

The charger depends on your needs Shane - if you are going to go electric then a multi-chemistry charger similar to this LINK is almost essential.  I actually own 4 chargers (not including the wall warts that come with the radio) - and 3 of them are single-outlet, and they are all powered either by a converted computer power supply or the car battery.  I can even charge my glow-igniter on a couple of them!

If you really want to benefit from the site, you should consider becoming a site supporter - check this LINK - well worth the price!

And Foodstick is right - if you are not careful this can go beyond an addiction and become and obsession!

Let me know if I can help

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: November/20/2015 at 12:52pm  Quote

Foodstick- Funny you should mention that. I just read an article in a magazine that dealt with all of the things you said. I was worried about shelf life on some of the adhesives so I didn't want to start buying them until I had decided on my first model and since a trip to Harbor Freight was already planned for this weekend I figured I would look at various clamps and cutting tools. Thanks so much for your input, this is exactly the kind of information I was hoping for from this group.

Jeff- Same goes to you as Foodstick. Thanks for adding your thoughts, they are invaluable to me. So far everyone I have interacted with while getting into this hobby, scratch that-obsession, has been very willing to help! As far as becoming a site supporter... DONE!

I'm so looking forward to my first flight but living in Northern Utah it may not be until April/May so I have lots of time to research and learn. Thanks again to both of you!

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: November/20/2015 at 1:15pm  Quote

Welcome to the obsession Dodger!  You should check out some of the clubs in your neck of the woods.  There are some very good ones in northern Utah.  If you need to start with a trainer, I'd recommend building a Sig LT-40 over the winter.  Excellent trainer and it can be fitted with floats for some added fun on the ponds.  If you're bent on building, I'd suggest you look into a magnetic building board system.  More money than some of the other building surfaces out there but once you've used one, you'll wonder why anyone uses anything else.  Just my .02 of course.  Welcome aboard.

Rick

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: November/20/2015 at 1:38pm  Quote

Thanks Rick. I googled the magnetic building board and it gave me some great ideas. I'll be doing more research on them before making a purchase.

I had not considered a trainer for my first project(I tend to jump into the deep end on my first day) but after looking at the Sig I think I might change my mind, you kind of got me on the floats considering there is a nice little pond with plenty of open airspace directly behind my home. I will be sure to practice take-off and landing from good old terra-firma first though. That's a nice little kit for a decent price and shouldn't break the bank, or my wife's current ambition to support me in this new obsession!

Thanks again!

Shane

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: November/20/2015 at 2:38pm  Quote

What's your altitude there?  If it is above a couple thousand feet you may want to consider using the largest recommended motor, or one size larger.  Especially for floats.

Let me know if I can help

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: November/20/2015 at 3:36pm  Quote

Interesting! I didn't know that altitude had an affect on motor size. We are at about 4200' but I work in Wyoming and would like to fly there when possible and the elevation is almost 7000'. So you are saying I am going to have to take that into consideration when choosing engines for my models? Intriguing!

I'm guessing that the larger engine size when using floats is to compensate for drag created by the water on take-off?

Wow! I'm loving this. I get to have fun and think at the same time!

]
] ]