]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: June/03/2014 at 3:58pm  Quote

Greetings,

My informal name is "Eskimo" Tom, and I live in Central Minnesota, USA. I am a 51 year old newbie to RC planes and scale building.

I have waited until the stars reached alignment in my life to begin scale RC flight and that time arrived when my wife and I recently bought large parcel of farmland so now I have a place close to home to learn how to build and fly.

I'm teaching myself the basics using a simulator and have built several cheap RC foamies for real life initial practice.

I'm in the process of drawing plans and building a skin and balsa PA-18 about 53" wingspan. I'm buying a few Pat Tritle short kits as well, the Stinson Reliant SR-10 after I get some experience under my belt.

My primary aviation modeling interests at the moment are civilian "golden age" aircraft and the back country bush craft as I'm an Alaskan native.

I believe a rugged bush plane with tundra tires is a good match for a beginner flying on and off a rather rough, crude landing strip that is our gravel driveway.

I have had years of plastic scale model building as a boy. After college I got into electric rc off road cars for quite awhile. I have also played with most of the flight simulators going back to Chuck Yeager's Flight simulators (1988) and all the MS iterations and starting up now with Flight Gear.

I figured as I am approaching pre-retirement I will finally have the time, the place, the patience and the means to begin my journey into RC flight.

Regards,

Tom

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of Canada Canada
IP Logged
Posted: June/03/2014 at 6:37pm  Quote

Welcome aboard
You seem to have a healthy perspective that will see you through. Simulators are great, and arfs make ideal trainers, no emotional investment and usually built light and straight.

PA-18,Tundra tires, Plexiglas roof and a couple extra horses. Great fun airplane

Cheers
Gregg

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: June/03/2014 at 10:03pm  Quote

Welcome Tom, As Gregg mentioned your methods should work and while a sound idea may I suggest you seek out your local club and join or a least stop by and see their field if possible. While I enjoy the flying and building most of my fun in this hobby comes from sharing it with others at our local club.

Flying:Merlyn Graves Ki-100, Ziroli B25, BUSA 1/3 Stearman,1/3 N28, 1/3 Pup,27% Gee Bee Sportster, Sig 1/3 Spacewalker, WH 27% Bird Dog

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: June/03/2014 at 11:48pm  Quote

Hey Tom - welcome to RCSB - I second what Mark said, they will also be able to help you out with the more esoteric aspects of our hobby. Looking forward to your builds!

Let me know if I can help

Basic Member
Basic Member
Warbird1944
IP Logged
Posted: June/04/2014 at 5:47am  Quote

Welcome Tom, I am a relatively new member as well and I hope you find this place as amazing as I do!

John

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of Australia Australia
IP Logged
Posted: June/04/2014 at 9:48am  Quote

Nice intro Tom. Welcome. I'm also fairly new to this hobby. I built a control line plane when I was 14, but never flew it. About 38 years later, I renewed my interest and learnt to fly foamies with some help from my brother. My first plane was a Parkzone Stinson Reliant SR-10. Two years later and I'm flying large petrol planes. Hope to start building kits soon. This a great site with lots of interesting, talented and helpful people. Enjoy.

]
] ]