Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Ninja Rated, Sidestick Hero.
National Flag of Netherlands Netherlands
IP Logged
Posted: January/29/2014 at 2:48am  Quote

Hi Pete,

Welcome to RCSB.
If you need any help building a model you will find it here.

Wow 30+ years out of the hobby, that's about how long ago I started.
You'll find a lot has changed, no more FM (35MHz in my country, not sure about the UK), we are using 2.4GHz now.

Electric motors have come a long way and the advances in batteries have been spectacular.
If you like flying electrics that is... I am a petrol head.

And most importantly, most RC stuff has become very cheap indeed.

May I recommend you start a build thread of whatever you are going to build?

I would also like to recommend you become a Site Supporter (LINK), it will enable you to post pictures and post more than 5 posts.
It will be the best $20 you ever spend!

If you need any help, don't hesitate to PM a moderator or administrator.

Danny

Real planes have bent wings and round engines!

Corsair Brotherhood #40

Building:
Bates P-40B Tomahawk
Super Scale F4U-1A Corsair (On Hold)

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United Kingdom United Kingdom
IP Logged
Posted: January/29/2014 at 4:05am  Quote

Hello Danny,

Thanks for the welcome note.

I'm already a "supporter" and totally agree with you re: quality of the site content....a veritable Alladin's Cave of information. In addition, I've managed to find time to read a couple of 'builds' so far......will definitely have to get a more comfortable chair at my pc...this one gives me crump in my rump after a couple of hours javascript:AddSmileyIcon('')...maybe the wife can find a way of giving me coffee intravenously !

Like you amd I guerss most of the guys/girls, I used to be a petrol - head,[ still got an Eagle 60, an Enya 45 and a couple of mini-Cox's], but nowadays with slower reactions and failing eyesight,I prefer slow & easy. To this effect, I've got hold of a couple of "foamies" to help re-co-ordinate my twiddlers. Once they are sorted out,blasted weather permitting, I will return to my first love of plan building and was surprised at the number of super plans with laser cut rib-sets etc available...technology working in our favour for once.

In the meantime, I will join the groupies and "lurk" with the best of them.

Rgds from the group of islands formerly known as the UK

Pete.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: January/29/2014 at 8:08am  Quote

Hi Kevin,

Following on from your "words of wisdom", actually my other half isn't aginst me being out of the house for the whole week-end.....wonder why ? I think it was more of a memory of previous occasions when I used to return home reeking of spent fuel on a Sunday night and just about got rid of the scent of glow fuel in time for the next week-end

The weather here is absolutely rubbish and unfortunately, our flying field is just totally water-logged so only the guys with props on the top of their creations are having any fun at all

Look forward to swapping stories when I've made a choice of a project.

Best rghds,
Pete

Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: January/29/2014 at 10:45pm  Quote

Hey Pete,
Could always go to a two cycle gas engine. That"s what I am planning to do. No smell, cheap gas, affordable power plant. I will be installing a old 44cc motor in the Pup so i can run a big prop 20" at half power. Need the weight up front anyway!
Kz

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: January/30/2014 at 4:17am  Quote

Kevin,

I have made two assumptions....one, it's going to take until mid-summer before I pass my "A" certificate and secondly, my first large scale project will probably take me a year from now to complete........that is ,if I can smuggle all the bits into the house unseen by 'you-know'who'

The "A" cert is mandatory in my Club due to the all-up weight of a big scale bird being above the threshold weight for insurance purposes,presumably to prevent lunatics like me thrashing a 35lb bomb round the sky

Some of those motors are superb aren't they ? Useful advice can be gleaned from the 'build' threads when certain names and sizes keep cropping up asthe scale is a whole new arena for me.I like the idea of a non-smelly, easy starting power block but the thought of all the extra paraphinalia that will have to be bought/carried to site each time is putting me off a little.Having electrikery up front may not be everyones cup of tea but you have to admit, there definitely are advantages in clean,and quiet power.The "quiet" bit is our main problem over here since most folks jealously guard their privacy which includes peace and quiet where they live.Quite a few Clubs lose their fields because some miserable so-and-so has complained to the authorities about unreasonable noise nuisance.

Must get of my soap-box, [Brit. term for having a moan in public], and ask you if you've got a particular model in your sights yet or did you mean a Sopwith Pup when you said "Pup" ? Hope you are going to let us watch as you go through the build....I find them totally fascinating to read.

Keep in touch,
Rgds, Pete.

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: January/30/2014 at 12:54pm  Quote

Hello Pete,
We have the same blithering moronic sound monitors here in California as well.
We in the states do tend to abreviate our terms! So you are right it is a Sopwith Pup. The Aircraft came to me from an estate sale all framed up. But when I start to really get into it I will post my progress. Check out the you tube site for my videos of our first ever Dawn patrol and of the scale meet in our state. Search under my name Kevin Zavoda for the images. I am a retired photographer, also feel free to check out my blog at kevingeorgephotography.blogspot.com
Very good talking with you Pete hope we can keep our lines of communication going.
Cheers
Kevin

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: January/30/2014 at 1:13pm  Quote

Hello Kevin,

I was absorbed with reading about a build of a Gladiator today. Now I know you guys are into things big enough to transport a herd of wild elephants
but this ol' boy has got to start somewhere. Small as in size and cost.    

With this in mind and since quite a lot of good vibrations are coming my way re. Brian Taylor plans, I had a look to see what was on offer. Well it seems he has , by your standards, a small [56" span], model available. Sooooooooooo,I've taken the plunge and splashed out for..plan, wood pack, canopy, cowl and spinner moldings from Traplets. Don't know wether you've heard of these guys but they take a full page advert in the modelling press so they're not a back-street outfit.

I'll let you guys know what I find when it arrives. My choice was influenced by many things but mainly....fixed undercart,plane from a heroic era,possibly a slow flyer...er possibly and I already have the power unit.............see, I'm really just a tight old b***er

Rgds, Pete.

PS hope you've got your listening ears on !

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: January/30/2014 at 11:54pm  Quote

Great choice Pete not a model you see too often. I really like the lines of that plane. The dihedrill in the wings should make it a real stable flyer. What is the total weight.
Kz

]
] ]