] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United Kingdom United Kingdom
IP Logged
Posted: January/16/2014 at 4:47am  Quote

Hello to all,........quick introduction. As I approached my 70th year, my yearning to get back in the air after a 30+ years sabatical was greeted with a few choice words from my other half which started with......"You want to do WHAT ???".. That being the case, I will need all the allies I can muster.
It has been a long time away from the 'sticks', and as anyone in a similar position will know,your fingers don't want to do what your brain is telling them to do.
I am looking forward to lurking here for a while until my confidence returns and I can participate in any useful way.

Rgds to all.
Pete B.[UK]

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: January/16/2014 at 9:09am  Quote

Hello Pete,

Welcome to the forum, what part of the country do you live in?

I recently came back to this sport after a similar layoff, but with a more encouraging response from my wife. I must have been fortunate in that I found little difficulty with the flying aspect apart from distance perception which took a while to fine tune but then again it was never that good.

Dave

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: January/16/2014 at 10:55am  Quote

Hi Dave,
Many thanks for the "welcome" note. Unfortunately, I live down in Crawley , West Sussex and have been a member of the Felbridge Flyers since last August.
As you may have gathered from my intro mail, I take a pretty laid-back approach to life and am fortunate to see the funny side of most scenarios.......not actually difficult since most of them are of my own making !!!
We have quite a few scale bods in the club........sorry, I should have said, there are quite a few members who practice the black art of flying scale models,(LOL !!) and although we mostly fly on 2.4Ghz,a couple of months ago we "lost" 7 planes over one week-end........most of them terminally.We are not sure of the cause yet, but since although "line-of-sight" infra-red beams between two local towers has been ruled out, the exact culprit hasn't been brought to justice so, understandably, the more expensive planes seem to be hanger-bound for the time being.
I have to say that I can't wait to see something better than my foamies in the skies soon.

Best rgds,
Pete.

Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of Canada Canada
IP Logged
Posted: January/26/2014 at 6:58pm  Quote

Hello Pete, congratulations on re-entering the air. I decided to do the same after many years of not so am encouraged by your taking up the challenge although I'm close to but not quite the same vintage! I'm easing my way back and decided to re-establish the flying skills (or not) with easily glued foamies to get the knack back.

cheers,

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: January/26/2014 at 11:42pm  Quote

Hello Dennis,

Which do you think is the more attractive trait of foamies........that they fly a little slower or that they can be glued back together quickly ???.....LOL!!javascript:AddSmileyIcon('')

This site has some fantastic "build" threads and I am in awe at the skill levels demonstrated. Watch out you don't get hooked reading one of the larger ones, I sat for two days reading about a Zero build from one of your countrymen....absolutely fascinating........the wife had to make up a picnic basket for me Ha-Ha !

As my first re-intro back coincided with the launch of the Dynam SMART trainer, I got one. Great looking plane but I think the bit about it being a trainer is a misnoma......darn thing flies like an Exocet missile ! I've recently got hold of a HYPE RELAX 2 from Germany which is another great plane and will serve to hone my reflexes a little.........and build my confidence up a bit too.

I can't wait for that stage so I can actually get carving 'n gluing.............YIPPEEEEEEEEEEE!!

Best rgds,
Pete.

Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of Canada Canada
IP Logged
Posted: January/27/2014 at 8:12am  Quote

Actually for me it's both!

I started with the SuperCub by Hobbyzone, stable, slow and not complicated so I could concentrate on the control of the little darling. With only elevator, rudder and motor control it was back to basics but good training. The big downside was it was so light and there are very few calm days that it was a bit like flying a kite most of the time.

The big upside was that it concentrated on the control skills in order to counter the wind. A few hard landings and once runnning out of battery before I could bring her around and land her brought in to play the ability to repair the damage quickly and easily with a lillte CA glue! You have to love that!

My recent purchase however is a foam DH Mosquito from Freewing so the light weight issue will not be one with this plane. Just fiddling with adding a few details over the winter and will have to wait for the first day on the field this spring before the first maiden flight. My interest has always been with the scale planes and once I'm more confident I'll get into a proper build project. It's been a while since my ealrly Guillows models!

I'm so impressed with this site as well. The amount of information, advice and "talent" that is here is impressive! I'm already hooked into wanting to get into a proper project. I just finished following a thread on a build of a SisT kit of a FW 190a8 and same thing as you, had to keep going untill I got to the end and was disappointed there wasn't anymore! Amazing.

Well, regards, have to get back to the real world for a while,

Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: January/28/2014 at 7:12pm  Quote

Hello Everyone,
Just wanted to introduce myself to the members. I just like to say I have been flying for a number of years and am pretty much settling in to WW1 aircraft. At the moment  I am working on  Busa 1/4 scale Pup. In the first few minutes of going through the site I learned so much!

I would like to say to Pete regarding his wife suggest this, better I am at home building then in a Pub drinking! Worked for me mate!

Last October I went to the Us Scale Masters RC meet held in Davis Ca. If anyone is interested here is the web address for pictures I took of the aircraft present.     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iykkrC-jS0U.  Does anyone know where I can put these pictures on this site to share them with more of the members

Cheers!
Kevin Z

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: January/28/2014 at 9:00pm  Quote

Hi Kevin and welcome to RCSB.  As you have seen it is an awesome site with some of the best builders on earth contributing - and happy to share too!.

As far as posting pictures, what you did is probably the best way to do it (but read the FAQ on posting a hyperlink).

When you start your build please post it in the BUSA forum, and please take the time to check out the Site Supporter program (LINK)- the best $20 ever!

And once again, welcome aboard!

Let me know if I can help

]
] ]