Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Show Your Stuff!!!>Piper Cub & Piper Vagabond Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump  
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: 05/January/2014 at 8:09pm  Quote

I just wanted to post a couple of my favorite "Lazy Day" flyers. The red Cub was scratch built by a fellow club member from Sid Morgan plans in 1976. It is 1/4 scale, and he built it as 3 channel only- R-E-M, and used it primarily as a trainer for the newbie fledgling pilots that joined our club. It had been in several crashes, patched up over and over, and kept on flying. After 7 years of total abuse, I finally managed to convince hime to sell it to me. I took off the old yellow covering, and started refurbishing the airframe. The wings were quite warped, many patched ribs, as well as the wing tips, and leading edges.
  The fuselage had as many patches, especially the turtle deck stringers, and landing gear supports. The motor mount was pretty well banged up, so I replaced it, and all of the fuselage stringers. After a final sand, and wipe down, I decided that I wanted something a little different for this Cub. I never did see a Red Cub, so I opted to do it in all red, with black trim. I also made a nice landing gear setup with tempered aluminum(old stop sign), and added wheel pants. After looking the airframe all over, I decided I would add ailerons, and scaled the dimensions from a drawing.
There were never struts on it originally, so I made a set of struts for it, and installed the mounting blocks in the wings. I wanted it to be at least "Stand off scale". The old motor was a faithful K&B 60, and was pretty well wore out. I had several new HB 61 PDP motors, and decided that would be more than enough power to fly this thing comfortably. I installed a new 20 oz tank, motor mount, and a new cowl from Fibreglass Specialties.
   The Monokote covering went on well, and I cut the lettering, numbers, and side trim from Monokote trim sheets. Everyone at the field was totally surprised to see a red Cub, and I got a lot of great compliments. The maiden flight was absolutely perfect, with only a minor elevator trim needed. I did this in 1983, and I'm still flying it today, same covering, same motor, upgraded Futaba Gold FP6FG 72MHZ radio.

The second favorite is my Piper Vagabond- scratch built in 1982 from RCM plans, 1/5 scale. I bought this one also from a club member, also a 3 channel plane, and I used it as a trainer for the new trainees. It has served me well for the last 30 yrs. It was originally dark blue and cream, and had one mishap when a servo failed. Did minor damage to wingtip, and noseblock, and landing gear. I stripped the covering, made the minor repairs, and recovered it with Metallic green monokote, and white. I also added the strut supports to the wing, and made the same tempered landing gear as the Cub. I removed the old Fox Eagle 60 , and installed another HB 61 PDP engine in this one too. I still fly both of these weekly, and have had many newbie pilots qualify for our club requirements.  Dean
">">">">">">

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: 05/January/2014 at 9:01pm  Quote

Two beautiful birds, very nice, and I love the paint schemes on both. I still have a HB .40 PDP "Blitz" stuffed away in a drawer somewhere. They were (are?) great motors.

If it ain't broke, go fly it!

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: 05/January/2014 at 9:09pm  Quote

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: 05/January/2014 at 9:12pm  Quote

Thank You--  I usually prefer to dream up my own color schemes. Not all of my planes are "True Scale", but I
 do try to keep them a reasonable facsimile. I'll post more, if I can figure out the format here on the site-- Dean

]
] ]