]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
Balsa Hacker
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: 30/November/2013 at 7:34pm  Quote

I know, I know, it's not a new model but today our local photo expert came out to the field and took some really cool photos. I was doing some test flights with my newly converted electric retracts from Mitch at Down & Locked. Dan Trevors came out with his $8000 dollar camera and wanted to take some shots. I did a few low passes and a roll or two for him.
   I have been flying this model for over three and a half years and really enjoy flying it, it's become my weekend "beater". It's an American Eagle/Meister mix powered by a G62, weight is 38lbs, span 98", and done in Croatian Air Force colors.
Larry B

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: 30/November/2013 at 8:24pm  Quote

Looks great, Larry. Did you buy a conversion for the retracts? If so, where and what's the cost?

Bob T.

Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of Canada Canada
IP Logged
Posted: 30/November/2013 at 8:42pm  Quote

Wow Larry, that plane looks terrific! Is it a good flyer? How are take offs and Landings. I am currently building a Brian Taylor 109 bashed into a g10. I hope to maiden it next season and I am already nervous.

I gotta say, that plane of yours really is a looker, great work!

Here is a photo of mine

Andrew.

Building:
Brian Taylor Fw190
1/5 Sig Cub

Basic Member
Basic Member
Balsa Hacker
IP Logged
Posted: 30/November/2013 at 8:58pm  Quote

Bob,
I sent the old Shinden Machine retracts that Lenny made for me off to Mitch at Down & Locked. His company will convert just about any pneumatic gear into electric. Check out his web site for the cost of what you are wanting to do because every job they do is a custom job so the price varies a lot. I spent $350 to $400 (I can't remember) to convert my gear.

Andrew,
Thank you for the compliments, the old 109 is getting a bit rough around the edges but it's my weekend flyer so I really don't care! As for take offs and landings, today I was flying it in winds of between 12 & 15MPH but they were right down the runway. I try and stay away from much of a cross wind condition. The secret to keeping a 109 on it's wheels is to keep your heading with the rudder whether taking off or landing. Once you let the plane start to swing left or right it will tip up on a wing tip because of the narrow gear. I have done landings where the thing will swing one way and drag a tip, then I'd over correct and drag the other tip all on one landing roll out! You have to be quick on the rudder but don't over do it, as soon as you see it start to swing make the correction required to just keep the heading. It has taken me awhile to get comfortable with it but now it's my favorite model because it's a challenge to take off and land. That's why I'm doing a 1/4 scale 109E for my next plane, I've fallen in love with the way it flies!
Your G-10 is looking great, what color scheme are you going with?
Larry B

Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of Canada Canada
IP Logged
Posted: 30/November/2013 at 9:36pm  Quote

Thanks for the advise On the take offs and landings. My friend actually gave me a gyro I was considering putting it on the rudder channel, I know it's cheating but it might make ground handling a little better. I'm not sure if I will use it or not.

I have been following your amazing 109E build and drooling. I would love to get my hands on one of those fuselages. Do you plan to sell any?

Do you plan to make the wing of composites or will it be built up?

Andrew.

Building:
Brian Taylor Fw190
1/5 Sig Cub

Basic Member
Basic Member
Balsa Hacker
IP Logged
Posted: 01/December/2013 at 7:49am  Quote

Andrew,
I would not bother with the gyro, but then I've never tried one. I just prefer learning to fly the airplane and being "quick like mongoose" on the rudder. If you fly off of grass then you won't hurt the wing tips at all when you drag one. (notice I said when, not if)!
Yes I am thinking of kitting my current project, all you'll get is the glass fuse. I am having a company out in Colorado CNC hot wire the foam wing & tail cores, then Lenny at Shinden Machine is making me another set of 109 gear. If you were to buy a fuse from me then you would have to order the foam cores and gear on your own. The one thing I'm unsure of is shipping, I'm making the fuse all one piece instead of two so I don't even know if I can ship it. Let's wait and see how the silly thing fly's before jumping the gun. I'm planning on taking it to Top Gun 2015 and we'll see how it does there.
Larry B

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: 01/December/2013 at 8:18am  Quote

Larry B,

I like the scheme that you chose. If I promise to not show up at the same field with the same scheme, I wonder if you could tell how you made the insignia.   Did you mask it off or use stencils/from where? I may use it on a 1/5 scale ME-109 sport plane with no surface detail. The plane will probably never leave Tennessee.

I don't expect the plane to leap in the air as some do. Does the plane lift off within a reasonable distance with the G62?

Brian

Basic Member
Basic Member
Balsa Hacker
IP Logged
Posted: 01/December/2013 at 8:48am  Quote

Hey Brian,
Call up Vikie, she owns and operates Get Stencils.com, she still has my old Croatian insignia in her records. She will be more than happy to scale it down to the correct size for your 109. She also cut the checker board shield stencil for the tail and the black "4". The strange looking ram's head under the cockpit I cut myself and sprayed, from what I have read the pilot was also an artist and he never finished the ram's head and that's why its done in odd dashes and not filled in.
I am really happy with the way the G62 flies my 109, it's not over powered by any means. The takeoff roll is realistic with a nice scale looking climb rate, I will usually cruise around at about 3/4 throttle, then go to full power for rolls and loops.
Don't make a promise like that! I'd enjoy flying with another 109 enthusiast at any field, as long as it's a grass field.
Larry B    

]
] ]