] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: February/13/2013 at 6:55pm  Quote

I am a recently retired aerospace engineering executive having spent 35 + years working on many different aerospace programs from military to commercial to classified defense programs. Having traveled over three million miles by air mostly visiting facilities that built or designed aircraft, spacecraft or defense programs and their critical systems and components I am looking forward to having fun on my schedule and scale.

A few years ago I assembled a nice Hobbico ARF trainer which flies quite nicely. I only got to fly it a few times before family and career demands intervened. Now that I have the time I am interested in building some scale RC. I have a pretty good model shop and a bit of modeling experience having done several 17th century scratch built model sailing ships and hand carving birds and decoys. So this forum looks pretty interesting and I think it will be fun to look, learn and hopefully contribute a bit.

Eventually, I may want to build a PBY which my father flew in WW II as a flight instructor in Pensacola, FL. He also flew some on the Mitchell.

So my first task is to find a good starting project that will be a bit challenging and expose me to the materials, skills and techniques that I will need to develop or modify going forward.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Luddite
IP Logged
Posted: February/13/2013 at 8:14pm  Quote

Welcome to the forum, Tom!  You have stumbled upon one of the jewels of the internet as far as radio control scale aircraft are concerned.  Have fun trolling the forums for that perfect first project.  If you want, feel free to provide some broad guidelines as to what type of project you are looking for; you will find lots of folks here willing to share their experiences, both good and bad, and get you on the path to success.  From the sound of it, you probably want to brush up on your flying skills first and formost but you shouldn't let that deter you from starting a scale project appropriate to your flying skills right away.  Let us know how we can help you!  John.

Currently flying: Bates Fokker DXXI
Currently building Carolina Custom Kits quarter scale J-3 Cub

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Luddite
IP Logged
Posted: February/13/2013 at 8:15pm  Quote

PS  I highly reccomend becoming a site supporter if you haven't already.  Money well spent.

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: February/13/2013 at 8:36pm  Quote

John, thanks!

I will definitely support the site.

As to my first project guidelines I think I would like to do something that is a good intermediate challenge. Something around 80 or so inch wing span of the WW II era. Maybe something like the AT6?

I am used to having to loft scale from plans and have a good set of modeling skills and no time deadlines. I tend to be a meticulous modeler and believe that even if you can't see it when it's done you know it's there. Besides, for me, part of the fun is producing parts from scratch with a fine fit and finish.

As for flying skills I will be working on that as soon as the 30 inches of snow we are buried under melts a bit. I am thinking of going to a flying school to jump start my re-entry but haven't made a final decision. It will depend on finding a good local mentor/instructor here in SE Mass/Rhode Island.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Luddite
IP Logged
Posted: February/13/2013 at 9:15pm  Quote

Hi Tom, personally I wouldn't reccomend the T-6 as a first scale job.  In the air, it is a pretty sweet flyer but it's ground handling could be described as atrocious!  I would also reccomend staying away from aircraft with retractable landing gear for your first attempt.  Sounds like you want to cut your own parts so building from plans opens up lots of possibilities. I have had a great experience with Jerry Bates' plans.  You might check out his DH 94 Moth Minor or Chipmunk designs.  A big part of this hobby is building aircraft that you find interesting as a full scale.  Doing the research and learning the bumps and bruises of the full scale can be as much fun as the build and really helps to fuel your passion for the project.  Good luck and be sure to share with us whatever you choose to build!  John.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: February/13/2013 at 9:18pm  Quote

The T-6 may be a bit much for starters - not so much flying as landing,  You could try one of the AR FT-6s amd see what you think.  How about one of the PTs?  Like the PT-19?

Also the Vanguard BT-13 Valiant (my Dad's log book had an entry on one of these "What a dog!")  But I have seen a couple models of the BT-13 fly and they are nice fliers - plenty of "bling" on them too.

There is also the Commenwealth CAC Wirraway - not sure if there are any plans or kits of that though.  Maybe one of our subscribers down under knows of something?

Let me know if I can help

Basic Member
Basic Member
Passed Away 2014
IP Logged
Posted: February/13/2013 at 10:31pm  Quote

Welcome Tom. I too recommend that you become a site supporter. The value ofthe monthly free aircraft walkaround downloads will recoup your money in the first month. I agree with Jeff's recommendation for a PT-19. Hostetler offers a set of plans and kits are available if you don't want to cut your own parts. It will give you a stable, easy flying bird that will always be fun to fly. If you built something along these lines you could then start on something "sexier" while you are regaining your thumbs with the PT-19.

I also agree with the others that the AT-6 would be a bit ambitious for a first time big warbird. The landing gear are just to close together and is a real bear on take-off and landing.

Again, welcome to the site. Whatever you decide for your first build please do start a thread so we can watch it come together. You will also have have plenty of help if the need should arise.

Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United Kingdom United Kingdom
IP Logged
Posted: February/14/2013 at 1:58am  Quote

Welcome to the forum Tom.
I've recently returned to this hobby after a long lay-off. I first build a couple of ARTF kits so that I had something on which to hone my flying skills whilst I trashed them and got stuck in to an SE5 kit to satisfy my desire for something larger and more scale. My advice is to go for something simple and easy to fly so that you can take your time on something more satisfying.

Dave

]
] ]