Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Show Your Stuff!!!>Pitcairn PCA-2 Autogiro by Whirlybird Avi Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump  
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: 20/July/2012 at 5:06pm  Quote

I just wrapped up a quick summer build of the Pitcairn PCA-2 Autogiro.  I build it from a short kit available from Whirlybird Aviation.  I have never flown and Autogiro or helicopter before in my life, so this was supposed to be a challenge to fly but it turned out to be very easy.  As long as you are proficient with the rudder it is easier than flying a trainer and the landing you can do a so beautiful it's just plain silly.

I covered it in Sig Koverall and dope, color coats are butyrate dope.  I left a large blank spot on the sides for the RCA Victor logo with the "His Master's Voice" painting, see the drawing below.  I drew that in CAD, will convert to pdf and have a friend cut paint masks for me later this summer.

I have put about 10 flights on it so far.  The youtube video HERE was from the thrid flight.  I had lost my tailwheel on the second flight, so it was a bit squirrley on takeoff , but flew great once it was in the air.  Since that flight I have put a few more on and I am much more comfortable and beginning to explore the slow flying characteristics of this aircraft and am blown away by what it will do.  I will post a video once I get a chance to take some more.

Now that I have flown it successfully I will be adding more scale detail.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Basic Member
Basic Member
Balsa Hacker
IP Logged
Posted: 21/July/2012 at 7:31am  Quote

Very nice! I have always wanted to build and fly a autogyro also, maybe someday. Are those ailerons on the wings?
Again, a beautiful model, Larry B

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: 23/July/2012 at 6:56am  Quote

Thanks Larry.  Yes those are ailerons.  The PCA-2 had a fixed mast/rotor so all flight control was done with regular airplane control surfaces.  Can't say I was ever all that intrigued by Autogiros until I saw a youtube video of a real PA-18 and PCA-2 flying.  Then I found out about the Whirlybird Aviation short kit and ordered one the next day!

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: 15/August/2012 at 8:03pm  Quote

So, here's a video with more flying in it.  Camera is a bit shaky, zooms in and out a few too many times, but gives a better idea what the aircraft is capable of.  It's an absolute blast to fly and every time I land it I hear the other pilots laughing because the rollouts are rarely longer than 4 ft.  The day I maidened this plane I bought another kit and some day I will do one with a lot of scale detail.

It would be nice if you could put youtube videos directly on this forum, but I guess not so here's a link below.  The video is in HD, so you can click on the little gear logo, check off 1080, then click on the lower right hand box to go full screen:

Whirlybird Aviation Pitcairn PCA-2 Autogiro with some 1930's music (Paul Whiteman Orchestra with Bing Crosby singing before he was famous)

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: 15/August/2012 at 9:19pm  Quote

Cool Autogyro! I built Skip Ruff's FA-61 and RCM's 'Whistler'. I wonder if Ferde Grofe was in Whiteman's Band when that music was recorded? He was a popular composer at the time.

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: 22/August/2012 at 8:37am  Quote

This flies better than the Whistler....or at least the two that I flew.   The Whistler seems to fly very fast and tough to ROG.   This PCA-2 is much easier and stable in the air. 

Nice job David!
Joe

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

]
] ]