] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: May/18/2012 at 3:33pm  Quote

Hi everyone.  I'm new here and not even sure that I'm using the right forum or method to introoduce myself.  I could only find the reply key to move ahead.  Sorry if I'm wrong.  

I am retired and live in western Connecticut near Danbury. My hobbies are RC, guitars and when I can fit it in, astronomy. 

For the most part, I'm a long time RC scratch builder .  Having said that,  I am finshing a Dynaflite Cub kit.  I call it my Dynafight kit cause I don't really  like anything about this kit. it's a strange build design with big slab sides for all the excess weight you might want to burden an aircraft with. Even the thrust line is way off.  Even the wing tube mounting proceedure produces mroe weight than it should.  Anyway I complain to much. I made changes needless to say.  I got it on the cheap on Ebay.  I'm stits covering it so, as you can imagine, I'm a bit weight obsessive with this build.

I also am concurrently buildiing a Tanzer Cabin Wing.  This is my 2nd Tanzer build and typical of Tanzer, some of the plan demensions are drawn wrong.  I did'nt like the wing at all so changed it to a modified Clark Y with a larger front entry.  This is my attempt to lower the wing loading and make a better flying aircraft.  So the chord has increased by 2 inches but the span stayed the same.  Thr chord height is inreased by maybe 5/8 inch for greater lift.  I'm using a CRRC 26 for propulsion. these are great engines and relatively cheap.  they're a reverse enginered Zenoah G26.  They don't have quite the same power but plenty enough and for a 1/4 scale cub a really good fit. 

My winter building project will be a Hostetler SR10.  I've bought a kit for this build becsaue of all the parts needed.  it seems that no two are like and I just thought a Precision Kit Cutters effort is the way to go.  After a lengthy chat with Wendall I decided to use a DLE111 and have puchased this engine already.

I do need some help with the landing gear.  Does any body know who makes or can make a shock absorbing landing gear setup for this 35 + pound plane?  Welding isn't my thing so I was trying to find a shop that can help me out with this endeavore. 

I'm looking forward to electronically meeting many of you over the years ahead.  All the best to you and support in your builds.

Todd T.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: May/18/2012 at 8:20pm  Quote

Hello Todd and welcome to RCSB!

You might look at Shindin Machine - he mostly does retracts but I believe he did a set of fixed gear for a GeeBee recently.  Sorry, don't have a link for him.  You might also look at Sierra Giant Scale - be prepared for sticker shock and a long wait though.  Good product for sure.  What about Robart?  Might they have something that would work?

Sand to really get the most out of the site here, check out the site supporter program: http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/page_display.asp?pid=5

Again, welcome aboard!  You hit just the right spot.

Let me know if I can help

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/18/2012 at 9:26pm  Quote

Hi Todd

If you cannot find what you want from Robart  I would second the suggestion to touch base with Lenny at Shinden machine.

He recently built for me a one-of landing gear for an airplane and I am happy with the results.  My take is that the most important thing is to supply him as much documentation of the gear that you can.  Take some digital pictures of what is shown on the plans with  a ruler in the picture as well as mark up the full size plans with the desired dimensions and take pictures.  Also if you can find some pictures to pass along of what the landing gear looks like on the real plane it is helpful.

It may take while but he does good work. 

706-556-0203
Lenny@shindinmachine.com

]
] ]