] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: December/11/2011 at 1:20pm  Quote

It was one of those 25-cent (at the time) rubber powered ROG models you could get at the grocery store or hardware store.

We lived on a U-shaped street - the short end of the U was along side the Oakland Rose Garden, and along the road was a "forest" of pine trees.  The Rose Garden was a marvelous place for us kids to play with the pine trees, thickets that we could hide in and so on.  My house was maybe 75 yards away from the Rose Garden.

Anyway - I got that airplane and was out front, packed in as many winds as I thought it would hold without either breaking the rubber or the wood, set it on the ground and let it go.  It took off like a shot, miraculously avoiding the telephone poles and wires and started off towards the Rose Garden - climbing, climbing . .

I chased after it of course, but once it got above the Rose Garden it was pretty much out of sight, but I was running thru the trees, keeping my eyes on it as long as possible, of course the inevitable occured and I lost sight of it.  I ran around for a while looking for it - I could not decide if it had lodged in a tree or had somehow kept flying.  Never did find it.

I was torn between pride at having the plane fly so well and dismay at loosing it - it was the first flight on that particular model!  None of the subsequent airplanes flew as well.  My father was a pilot and that had me hooked on airplanes right there - but that experience really set the hook.

Let me know if I can help

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: December/11/2011 at 2:00pm  Quote

Great story. Thanks for sharing Jeff. Reminds me of my son's first "RC" experience. It was one of the early ready to fly things (I forget the name of the plane), pusher prop, V-tail (which controlled everything).   My son Ian was about 8...we took it to our club field and actually got it airborne...but flew it so high it got "out of radio range"...it then circled...and circled....and circled...all the while being blown to the south on the wind...Ian chased it for over a 1/2 mile before the battery died and it came down again.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: December/11/2011 at 6:36pm  Quote

LOL Kent - probably a lot of stories like that out there - would love to read them!

Let me know if I can help

]
] ]