] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: September/16/2009 at 9:29pm  Quote

This latest build is a PT-19.  Using a set of Dynaflite plans as a guide, I redrew them to make a PT-19 that looked more realistic and try to improve on the original design to make it more suitable for a moderate-sized gas engine.

Here are some of the changes I made: 

An aft spar was added to the wing and the airfoil was thickened approximately 20%.  Dihedral was increased to scale.  Scale split flaps were added with external hinges similar to full scale.  Additional ribs were added to the ailerons to match full scale.  The remainder of the wing was sheeted like the full scale aircraft.

The tail surfaces were re-designed to resemble the airfoil shape of full scale.  The fin and stabilizer were sheeted.  The rudder and elevators had ribs added to match full scale.   

The primary changes to the fuselage are internal, with some internal strengthening to support the Evolution 35GT gas engine and additional internal stiffeners aft to retain the exposed stringer construction typical of the full scale aircraft.  Wing fillets were built up to resemble full scale using photographs for reference.  The engine mount box was modified to make room for a Bisson inverted pitts muffler, which is completely enclosed in the cowl.  A good deal of care was taken to blend the stringers and longerons on the sides and aft fuselage with reference to full scale photographs.  This also made it essential to add some internal structure to maintain stiffness in the aft section.

For covering Hangar 9 Ultracote was used on sheeted areas as well as fabric covered areas.  A can of black Top Flite Lusterkote was used for the top of the fuselage and nose.  A set of Robart struts were attached to 1/4" wire mounts, and Williams Bros. 4.5" Smooth Contour wheels were used.

Beginning in mid-1942, PT-19 aircraft were delivered in the color scheme shown in the following photograph:

During the years immediately following WWII, I accompanied my father to the local field where PT-19's were based during the war.  Many surplus PT-19's were still in the area, and all of them were in this color scheme.  Most kits and ARFs show the aircraft in the more colorful blue and yellow of the earlier period, but I never saw an original aircraft in that scheme.  As a result I decided to make my PT-19 more closely resemble the aircraft in the silver/aluminum scheme.

By using the basic Dynaflite outline as a starting point, I was able to use an available cowl from Fiberglass Specialties.  The cowl is a perfect fit and only required sanding, priming and painting after the cutouts were made.

The turnover protection structure between the cockpits was made from aluminum tubing, with epoxy applied to the joints to resemble the way the original tubing was welded.  The height of the structure was adjusted to resemble available photos as closely as possible.  This structure seems to have adequate strength and looks more realistic than the usual dowels.

The finished aircraft, ready to fly, weighs 17 lb. 

Here are some photos of the aircraft before initial flight testing:

From the initial flight I knew this airplane was going to be a long-time favorite.  It required no pitch trim changes, but did require four clicks of right rudder trim and two clicks of left aileron trim to get everything headed in the right direction.  It will fly on very low throttle settings.  The airplane is fully aerobatic.  At present it has 21 flights.  Every landing has been made with full flaps.  The PT-19 is light on the controls and is just a lot of fun to fly. 

After the initial flights I determined no changes were needed so went ahead and painted the top of the fuselage and nose black.  Having made the windshields removable made this a lot simpler.  Once the paint dried, a "crew" was recruited and so far there have been no complaints from either of them. 

Last weekend the PT-19 made a number of flights at the GSWA fly-in held at Firetower Field in Easley, SC.  Here are two photos of the airplane taken on the ground.  So far I haven't found any airborne shots on the server.  If I find them, I will upload them and post them to this thread. 

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

]
] ]