]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: May/23/2021 at 11:36am  Quote

Hey all,

Figured I'd say hi and kick off my first post with a few photos of my current project. Balsa USA 1/3 Stearman. Would love to build a T34 Mentor later this year, but cannot find any kits or information on where to begin. I'm not at the level of scratch building at this point, but would love to get there in due time. Anyone have any leads on a T34 I might be able to get a hold of?

Edit: can't seem to add photos, I'll try to figure it out :)

Here's a few photos via DropBox. Enjoy!
Stearman Photos

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/23/2021 at 5:00pm  Quote

Cody,

Welcome to the site. We’ll help you out from finding the kit or something close to the T-34, to scratching out your first build & everything in between. We’ll help you with editing your photos as well. After awhile, you’ll feel right at home. We’re all modelers & aircraft enthusiast. Some are PhDs in astrophysics, professors in linguistics & engineers in aerodynamics & others like myself are retired truck drivers. Our founder, Mike is a great all-around nice guy & willing to help out as well. It won’t be long before others will drop a line & welcome you as well.

Cheers,

Gary

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: May/23/2021 at 5:13pm  Quote

Quote: Cody Horner
Hey all,

Figured I'd say hi and kick off my first post with a few photos of my current project. Balsa USA 1/3 Stearman. Would love to build a T34 Mentor later this year, but cannot find any kits or information on where to begin. I'm not at the level of scratch building at this point, but would love to get there in due time. Anyone have any leads on a T34 I might be able to get a hold of?

Edit: can't seem to add photos, I'll try to figure it out :)

Here's a few photos via DropBox. Enjoy!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gy8dmktw7orun5z/AACwRC12w50G_HyvD Xdp_u-Za?dl=0

Cody, as a basic member you are limited to 5 posts (use them wisely LOL!) and cannot post pictures.

Please see this FAQ about becoming a site supporter and this ONE about the site, posting, etc.

If you want to post a hyperlink, use the icon that looks like a U-turn arrow lying on its side.  The site automatically breaks plain hyperlinks to prevent spam/scam

Hope to see a build from you soon!

Let me know if I can help

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: May/23/2021 at 6:15pm  Quote

Thanks for the welcome Jeff & Gary! Sounds great, and seems like a pretty diverse group of guys & talents here. Myself, I'm a software developer with ~20 years under my belt and a "claim to fame" developing training center software for some "unnamed" NHL teams and organizations.

Oh boy, 5 post limit and here goes the second. I'll read the FAQ and the site post info. This is a new one for a forum membership but hopefully that means the group of guys are more capable here haha

Cheers,
Cody

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: May/23/2021 at 6:20pm  Quote

Quote: Cody Horner
Thanks for the welcome Jeff & Gary! Sounds great, and seems like a pretty diverse group of guys & talents here. Myself, I'm a software developer with ~20 years under my belt and a "claim to fame" developing training center software for some "unnamed" NHL teams and organizations.

Oh boy, 5 post limit and here goes the second. I'll read the FAQ and the site post info. This is a new one for a forum membership but hopefully that means the group of guys are more capable here haha

Cheers,
Cody

all levels of talent here - some of the best scale modelers in the world!

The subscription fee covers the cost of the servers - there is really very little advertising, and what there is does not intrude on the threads.  So in order to keep it that way, the site needs to charge a fee.  I don't know how long you have been involved in RC - but a magazine subscription could easily cost more and not be nearly as focused as RCSB.

Let me know if I can help

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of Australia Australia
IP Logged
Posted: May/23/2021 at 6:50pm  Quote

Welcome, Cody. 

Sounds like you will fit right in. 

Cheers

Admin Group
Admin Group
RCSB Owner/Founder
IP Logged
Posted: May/23/2021 at 7:02pm  Quote

Hi Cody,

Welcome to RCSB and thank you for becoming a subscriber!

In your original post you didn't mention what size t-34 model you wanted to build. So here are a few options for you.

First, I don't know of anyone making a FULL kit of this aircraft any longer. Top Flight used to make one but as you may know they are no longer around.

Your best bet would be to build one from plans. Mark Frankel drew a beautiful 89" wingspan plan set and Bud Adkinson drew a smaller one at 71" wingspan. Both of these are available on AeroFred. Both are free downloads there as they are from the now defunct RCM magazine service. Here is a link to that search where I found them.

You may have to sign up on aerofred to download the files but they are free. Then you can take them to a kinkos or a blueprint shop and have them printed. Don't let plans intimidate you. They build just like a kit does only YOU decide what order to build things in.

Don't hesitate to ask questions here. We have a wonderful community that loves to help folks and doesn't put up with a lot of the crap that goes on at other sites.

Cheers,
Mike

Update Your Browser!

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: May/23/2021 at 7:25pm  Quote

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the welcome, and no problem supporting. Seems like an awesome resource!

For the size, I was hoping to find & build a 1/3 scale kit. No problems building from plans, just don’t have the equipment to laser cut or capability to produce moulds for some things like cowls, gear doors, canopies etc. Are there vendors here that support the site that would be capable of blowing up plans and providing a long-kit?

That would be awesome, though I think for the larger T34’s you’d want a fibreglass fuse and wings with a foam core etc. That’s out of my league unless I can find some good resources on where to begin learning.

Original post updated with a few photos linked to DropBox of the current build. Pretty happy with it, about 30 hours I’d figure from completion at this point.

Cheers
Cody

]
] ]