Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Introduce Yourself>Hello from South Africa Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 2 Pages 1 2
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of South Africa South Africa
IP Logged
Posted: February/15/2019 at 6:58am  Quote

Good day,

I'm a scale builder from Nelspruit South Africa. Been in this hobby since 1978. Been trying almost anything in RC but always come back to aircraft. Been building a couple of smaller scale models but have been committing to builder bigger more scale models. Currently busy scratch building a Handley Page HP42.

I decided to take on a proper project. I surfed upon Michael Kramer's www.wingspanmodels.com and decided that is it. I have to build a 1/9 B17.
Even thought the exchange rate from Rand to dollar is extreme, not to mention the ridiculous shipping costs, I saved up the money and ordered the first half (Short-kit) from him. It did not take that long to get to me, was expensive but worth every penny. Michael said that it is easier to build if I have the retracts first. I saved up again and ordered the second order, landing gear, turrets, guns and all the other loose goodies.

Now it's been more than 2 months waiting. He doesn't answer my emails nothing. Should I worry or relax?
To me that is a lot of money and a once in a lifetime project. Any suggestions.

Regards

Johan Blom

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: February/15/2019 at 8:25am  Quote

Johan,
I have never dealt with this individual but hopefully you will get your merchandise. Unscrupulous people are everywhere but I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt when it comes to models. Internationally I almost always deal through Pay-Pal and there is recourse if you went that way. Meanwhile you might figure out what you can build without the hardware and strt to enjoy the build.
Welcome to RCSB if you join it will be the best $20us dollars you have ever spent via Pay Pal
Sparky

Gamma RIP

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: February/15/2019 at 8:57am  Quote

Johan,

Welcome to the site.  Unfortunately, you're not alone in being concerned about getting your products.  I was totally ripped off from Arizon Models about a coupe years ago.  I filed a complaint with the BBB (Better Business Bureau) and they tried to mediate to no avail.  As luck would have it, another individual working for the same company, but not knowing what happened to me, wrote on my build thread "Super Detailing Wright Bros' Fllyer" to extend his compliment on my finished model.  I thanked hm and gently reminded him of what his company did to me.  Haven't heard from him since.

You mentioned its "...been over two monhs..."  If you've paid by credit card, you still have recourse as it's usually within the 3 month limit that you can cancel your payment.  Quickly go now to your loca bank and cancel.  If nothing else, you'll get someone's attention and your money back.

So, it's "Buyer Beware" even in the struggling and (mostly) honest modeling world.

However, you'll find lots of support on this site from fellow modelers who have dealt with various vendors and will go out of their way to help you out in any which way.

By the way:  the Handley Page 42 is a beautiful plane.

Skye

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: February/15/2019 at 11:47am  Quote

Johan,
I just spoke with wingspan models via phone.  Your stuff is being made but it takes a while.  Please be patient.

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: February/15/2019 at 11:47am  Quote

Welcome to the site Johan. 
I have a good friend of mine that resides in Pretoria. I send him parcels from time to time of RC items that is difficult for him to get there.
The record from the time the parcel left the mid U.S. to arrive to him has been three weeks. The other side of that is it has taken up to three months.
However, Wingspan Models should communicate with you. Perhaps one of our great members that reside in the Atlanta area could pay them a friendly visit.
Please keep us informed.

BUSA: Eindecker, SE5a, D-VII
Ziroli: Skyraider, Stuka
Building: Ziroli P-40 Warhawk
Working on: GP Ryan
Reidsville, NC

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of South Africa South Africa
IP Logged
Posted: February/15/2019 at 2:38pm  Quote

Thank you all for the warm welcome.
BobH, thank you for the effort from your site. I did make payment via PayPal. I did not want to stir unnecessary either as I'm sure that Michael will honer my order . The problem is not communicating making it difficult to decide if I should contact PayPal or still hold on.

I'm all excited to start the B17. Seen many posts on these forums on the wingspan models build and it is one awesome plane. The skill level and level of genius from some members is absolutely encouraging.

Will hold on a bit longer. The man's excellent work deserves it.

Johan

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: February/15/2019 at 5:17pm  Quote

Johan,
What is the proposed power system?
Please do a thread when you get building.
Sparky

Gamma RIP

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: February/15/2019 at 5:29pm  Quote

Johan,
I spoke with him for a bit.  He told me that getting all the parts has been difficult because suppliers can't make everything soon enough.  He can't afford to keep everything in stock so he has to order them
I'm confident you'll get your stuff .. 

]
] ]