] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: January/16/2019 at 12:40pm  Quote

Hey everybody.    My name is Dustin, use to fly when I was 14 and go out when girls and cars took priority.    I'm 31, now and recently got back in to it.  WWII bombers are my favorite mostly the B-17.   I've got 2 foam B-17 w/ 6ft wingspan now.  However I recently saw Don Smith kit and fell in love.  Never built a kit but I have the ability.  Tips and tricks are always welcome.

I have a few CNC machines at my shop.  Both Haas and Tormach.  Been doing CAD for well over 12 years and currently do design work for Caterpillar.

I love problem-solving.

Few item's I've made.  I can't post a lot because of privacy agreements.

Vacuum fixture

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: January/16/2019 at 1:07pm  Quote

Greetings, Thisguy65!

Glad to see some younger folks becoming active in the building aspect of this hobby.  I'm sure that you will be equally amazed as I have been by the breadth of talents constantly being exhibited by the members of RCS.  Having your background and knowledge in the machining and CadCam aspects of designing will be welcomed by the group.

Welcome!

Bob LaBrash

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: January/16/2019 at 1:31pm  Quote

Welcome aboard Dustin and I agree wholeheartedly with Bob, it is very good to see some young blood that is interested in scale building.  Let us know where you are located as there is bound to be fellow RCSB members nearby that you might like to get to know.  There are a couple of stunning B-17 build threads here on the site if you have not found them already.  Besides the Don Smith there is the Wingspan B-17 in a couple of different sizes so don't overlook those.  And please consider becoming a supporting member, it will be the best $20 of your hobby money that you will ever spend.

Cheers!
Chad Veich

If it ain't broke, go fly it!

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: January/16/2019 at 3:33pm  Quote

Quote: Chad Veich
Welcome aboard Dustin and I agree wholeheartedly with Bob, it is very good to see some young blood that is interested in scale building.  Let us know where you are located as there is bound to be fellow RCSB members nearby that you might like to get to know.  There are a couple of stunning B-17 build threads here on the site if you have not found them already.  Besides the Don Smith there is the Wingspan B-17 in a couple of different sizes so don't overlook those.  And please consider becoming a supporting member, it will be the best $20 of your hobby money that you will ever spend.

Cheers!
Chad Veich

Thanks guys,  Chad, sent $20 to the site.

Wife and I are about to have our first so I fear my plane buying is done for a little bit.  I do need something to keep me busy when I have free time.  I can't sit still..LOL

What's consider the go to model for beginners?   Need to learn about fixture to hold the model together so it's straight and level with the earth.

Did the pictures come through?

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: January/16/2019 at 6:32pm  Quote

Welcome Dustin.  You have come to the right place, to do a construction thread.  When you do a build on this site you will get all the help you need to complete the airplane.  Advice, pictures tell the story better than a bunch of words. It is not that hard to post pictures here.

Fair Winds & Happy Flyin'
Rich 

Rich Richardson
AMA Leader Member
Enid, Ok
Flying: 1/4 Fokker D-VII, 1/4 Sopwith Pup, 1/4 SPAD XIII, Nosen Super Cub, GP Giant Ugly Stick, RC Guys Decathlon

Under Const   Fokker Dr I

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: January/16/2019 at 8:45pm  Quote

Welcome to the site!
A scale 4 engine bomber isn't exactly the way to start your model building career.
What kind of flyer are you have you only flown the Foamy?
A gentle relatively easy building general aviation airplane would be one place to start.
Cub or similar.
Sparky

Gamma RIP

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: January/16/2019 at 11:33pm  Quote

Quote: Sparky
Welcome to the site!
A scale 4 engine bomber isn't exactly the way to start your model building career.
What kind of flyer are you have you only flown the Foamy?
A gentle relatively easy building general aviation airplane would be one place to start.
Cub or similar.
Sparky

What can I say, I jump off the deep end...the very very deep in.  haha.

Do you find tuning 4 strokes hard, if you can tune a car carb? 4 stroke radial is  music...like a 383 sbc, cammed out with snail building boost on the line. 

However I love all motors.   12 hp motor on a old motorize scooter...sure why not? :)

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: January/17/2019 at 2:29am  Quote

Hi, Dustin and welcome.  It sounds like you already have some applicable skills...and the motivation.  Though we'll see what happens to that motivation once the kid is born. I basically took a 20 year hiatus from building while raising kids (and developing a career).

I agree with others that jumping in with a multi-engine bomber wouldn't be the best idea.  While tuning a 4st RC engine isn't hard, getting 4 RC engines running (and staying running) at the same time takes extra care.  For this reason, many guys who do multi-engine jobs have either been running gas/glow engines forever...or they have moved to electric motors.  A single-engine scale warbird would be a great learning project (ready to apply 30,000 mock rivet heads by hand?). 

]
] ]