] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: August/23/2018 at 2:01am  Quote

Haven't built a kit in over 30 yrs but, am eyeballing the BUSA 1/4 Sopwith Camel.  I've assembled many ARFs but, it's time to get back to "old school" and do it right.   
I'm currently attempting to refurbish an old 1/4 Cub and, since it's covered in some kind of fabric, this will be my first experience with that material.  I'm studying all the processes available trying to determine which would suit my need. 

I've just begun to look around this site but, I like what I see.  You may hear from me in the future asking a few noob questions. 

RJ

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: August/23/2018 at 7:57am  Quote

Hey Rowdy, thanks for posting.

Sadly, with the loss of Solartex your fabric options have narrowed considerably; there are still good options tho.

Keep looking and you will find something suitable - and be sure to check out the site supporter option:  LINK

Let me know if I can help

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/23/2018 at 12:01pm  Quote

Rowdy,

Welcome to the RCSB site and just relax and know we're all in this "boat" together to share and learn.  I'd like to add a comment to supplement Jeff's (J-Whitney).  He's correct in that Solartex, of U.K.,  has closed its doors just earlier this year (March-April), siting reasons as more competition and financial stress from its heyday of employing over 40 people down to just a skeletal crew of 4. 

The good news however is Oratex.  This is also a heat-shrink film covering, but manufactured in Germany.  It features the exact scale fabric weave patterns as Solartex and also has the strength, fuel-proofing, and compatibility with various dopes and paints.  I've been doing a lot of contact and work between the German manufacturer and their new USA distributor, Horizon.  The German manufacturer does not sell or ship direct to anyone overseas but will do to any country within the European continent.  Hmmmmm

They have a distributor in the U.K. under the name of JPerkins.  I can obtain their address and phone numbers should you be interested.  Suffice to say, they've not answered to any of my email requests.

I can pass on the particulars such as the names and so forth, but long story short, Horizon was supposedly authorized to act as the distributor.  As of this writing, I wrote to Horizon (& followed up with phone calls) and they claim they've never heard of the product itself, let alone the German manufacturer.  Horizon then passed onto me a phone number to one of their sales folks, but that number was up in Alaska!!  Talk about getting the brush off.

Anyway, there should be several other alternative coverings should you decide to pursue that path.  

I'll still be hassling both the German manufacturer and Horizon until I get someone to answer to my questions.

Nice to see a Texan join the site.  I'm sure you have access to several warbirds from the Commerative Air Force.

Anyway, any aircraft of your choice?  Style?  Scratch?  Kits?

Sincerely,

Skye

Avatar User Offline Gabriel Voisin
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of Germany Germany
IP Logged
Posted: August/23/2018 at 12:10pm  Quote

Quote: Skyediamonds
Rowdy,

The good news however is Oratex.  This is also a heat-shrink film covering, but manufactured in Germany.  It features the exact scale fabric weave patterns as Solartex and also has the strength, fuel-proofing, and compatibility with various dopes and paints.  I've been doing a lot of contact and work between the German manufacturer and their new USA distributor, Horizon.  The German manufacturer does not sell or ship direct to anyone overseas but will do to any country within the European continent.  Hmmmmm

Skye

I say only "import duties", we haven't do it.

Matz

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: August/23/2018 at 12:27pm  Quote

Thanks for the info Skye. 
Very interesting about Oratex.  I've heard of Oracover but, not Oratex.  Hope it pans out.

My hangar includes a couple of giant scale aerobatic planes, a couple of .60 sized flyers, a couple of electrics, a sailplane/motor glider, a WWI bipe, and a giant scale model of a homebuilt.  Engines are gas, nitro (4 strokes), and electric but, right now I'm favoring the 4 strokes.  All are ARFs except a very used Cub I picked up at a swap meet.  I'm partial to bipes but, they don't seem to like me.  The only one I haven't crashed is the WWI bird.

Been flying RC since 2009 with varying degrees of success.  :)  At this stage and age I've decided to go with slower, less agile machines so my old brain can keep up. 

RJ

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: August/23/2018 at 12:44pm  Quote

BTW ...a quick search for Oratex turns up many links for full scale aircraft here in the US, which leads me to believe it might be too heavy for an RC model compared to other available coverings.  However, since it comes "pre-colored", the weight difference may not be so great since the others require doping and/or painting after application.  ????  I need to include it in my research. 

Take a look here ....

http://www.kitplanes.com/issues/31_7/builder_spotlight/orate x_covering_21029-1.html

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: August/23/2018 at 3:40pm  Quote

Here's the US supplier for Oratex .... http://www.betteraircraftfabric.com

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: August/23/2018 at 9:08pm  Quote

Look at ceconite lite too - it is a non-certified covering for full-scale (non-certified because it is light).  Also Sig Koverall.  In the early days of giant scale they used polyester dress liner - something to keep in mind.

Many of us are using latex house paint too.  No need for a fuel-proof clear if you are using a gas engine, but needed for glow power.  Klass Kote is a good clear, but must be painted in a spray booth or outside.

Let me know if I can help

]
] ]