Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Introduce Yourself>Hello from South Africa Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump  
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of South Africa South Africa
IP Logged
Posted: December/18/2017 at 9:25am  Quote

Hi Everyone!

Just a short note from this side.

I cannot believe it took me so long to find this site! I am a long time RC Builder/pilot, from 1974, but I had a break of more than 20 years and have only recently returned to RC. I am a keen competitor and have in the past flow competitive scale, F3A pattern and Pylon racing. Since my return to RC 2 years ago I have started with F5J (electric launch gliders) and more recently F3A pattern.

But my first love has always been scale, i have set myself a target to have a decent scale plane flying that I can fly in our national championships in May 2018 so the hunt is on! Options I am considering is a Seagull BF 110c as a "kit bash" for what we call "sport scale" but ultimately I would like to build a plane that would be competitive in F4C, and something that is a bit more unique as well as something I could get decent documentation and detailed photos for.

I have always loved the Druine D.31 Turbulent, built a small one as kid and I loved it! I know there are a few plans available but I would like to know if anyone here has a suggestion? I would like a plane of around 1/3 scale if possible. I think it would make a nice scale model as it is not too complicated so detail like instruments could be done really well and it has a wide enough flight envelope to be fun to fly as well.

Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks for the great site and hope to interact with many members here in the future!

Rudi from sunny South Africa.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: December/18/2017 at 11:48am  Quote

Two engines can be a headache single engine axis plane.... FW-190 over ME-109 as it will tolerate weight a little better. P-47 is a great choice and flown by many countries maybe even SA.
Welcome aboard.
Sparky

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: December/18/2017 at 12:16pm  Quote

Quote: Sparky
Two engines can be a headache single engine axis plane.... FW-190 over ME-109 as it will tolerate weight a little better. P-47 is a great choice and flown by many countries maybe even SA.
Welcome aboard.
Sparky

Hi Sparky, thanks for the reply and the advice!

Yes, I agree on the twin but since I will go the electric route I am not worried about the engine setup and reliability. There are quite a few 190/109's and P-47's (models) around locally, I would love something that is a bit more unique but any of them would do. I do have a BH F4U that flies well so maybe I could just add some more detail to that. Unfortunately many planes in that class are quite heavy resulting in flying speeds a bit high for scale.

The BF 110c has a large wing so I was hoping I could keep the wing loading down (plus the local hobby shop has it in stock!) and I have suitable motors/ESC's and batteries already "in stock". I will have a look at the planes you suggested, maybe I can find a large/light plane locally. 

This would only be an interim plane to fly in sportsman's class while I build the plane I really want for F4C, but that could take some time.

Thanks again,
Rudi 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: December/18/2017 at 12:36pm  Quote

Electric Twin would be nice and different too.
I have a 80” Sea Hornet in the que
I am torn between glow or electric. Either way this plane has significant technical Challenges.
Sparky

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: December/18/2017 at 12:44pm  Quote

Quote: Sparky
Electric Twin would be nice and different too.
I have a 80” Sea Hornet in the que
I am torn between glow or electric. Either way this plane has significant technical Challenges.
Sparky

Wow, a Sea Hornet will be magic! 

I will add a sound system to the electric plane as well to get the sound a bit closer to the real thing. I would not be comfortable with a glow twin but that is personal, I am sure you can setup a glow twin that is really reliable.

My grandfather flew a 110c, among'st other planes so there is a sentimental reason as well I suppose......

Good luck with the Sea Hornet, hope you will do a build log here!

Rudi

]
] ]