]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of Argentina Argentina
IP Logged
Posted: July/13/2016 at 9:34pm  Quote

Quote: ScaleAero
Welcome to RCSB ! You can purchase the Top Flite P-47 from Edwardo Esteves in Brazil along with its power.
The Giant Scale TF P-47 is an excellent introduction to giant scale modeling. Good luck with this and your initial entry into Giant Scale modeling. Which 3D printer do you have?

If answering a question of good, better, and best P-47 design is being asked there are few comparable designs
because of physical size and composition. While one would imagine a good design is of lighter weight, the older
the design, there is a good chance it is going to be heavier and its bill of materials more old school than modern
composite materials.

If this is a question of which P-47 provides the most scale flight performance and physical accuracy to the 1:1,
I would recommend the CARF P-47 with a MOKI 250..

Hello Ed, thanks for the info, good point about the "old school" bill of materials, while I have access to composites and plywood, sourcing premium quality balsa is pretty hard (the common grade is available though).

Actually I have two 3d printers, an older makerbot type one and this fellow:
http://kikailabs.com.ar/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Folleto-K ikai-Labs-M11-email.pdf
It is build by a small local shop, I beta tested one last year, returned it and got an upgraded unit a couple of months ago.

P.S. Beautiful P47!

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: July/13/2016 at 9:58pm  Quote

Quote: rcheli12
Hey Nicolas,

From the sounds of it your no stranger to fabrication and have quite the arsenal at your disposal.

I think you would be limiting yourself by building a Top-flite kit. If you don't like the wood, you end up replacing it anyways. I've never built one, however I find that with kits you end up resigning something that's already been designed and fabricated.

In my opinion for scale fidelity, ease of building, and designing plans the list is low to high.

Meister plans
Nick Ziroli Planes
Jerry Bates plans.

A friend is building a meister p47, and there have been some hurdles. Ribs need to be leveled, things need to be altered and overall they require a lot of tweaking. However I heard they fly fantastic and overall the structure is very strong.

I've gone through a lot of Nick Ziroli plans and have the Sbd and P38 flown and in the detailing stage. They are hand drawn plans too, so some fairing and shaping of ribs and formers is required. They are solid designing and all of his planes follow the same building format. There are tons of threads to reference as well.

I haven't built a Bates yet, but I have his P-51B plans and have followed many of his builds. His plans certainly are cad drawn and seem like they're meant to be laser or cnc cut. I would consider them to be the most accurate of the 3, and everyone who has flown them has nothing but good things to say.

Of course this is only my opinion, so please take it with a grain of salt. No matter what you choose run a build thread, and questions or concerns you have someone has already seen and solved it, your in good hands here.

Best of luck

Kyle

Hello Kyle, thanks for the encouragement, after lot of thinking and considerations during these days I finally decided to go for the scratch route- every single kit option I found is way too expensive for me at this point and I'd like to save the budget for a nice engine.
I'd also like to DIY the retracts, it's a nice machining challenge and I'm already "CADing" a couple of ideas.
So far, two sets of plans grabbed my attention- the F6 by Mr. Veich which I found in the site supporter plans section and David Andersen's LA7
The Lavochkin is one of my all times favorite and it's a challenging build but it is also "old school" and big meaning a lot of lite plywood which I can easily buy locally and CNC cut the entire kit in a couple of days. The retracts are not that complicated mechanically. 
The Hellcat was a personal favorite in Combat Flight Simulator 2 in the 90s :), it's smaller, cheaper to build but the rotating retracts are way more challenging.
Given all this, I began to work with Andersen's LA7 plans, been drawing them in CAD for several hours already and adapting them for common local sizes of wood (we are metric here).
Once I have them in CAD, I'll decide If I'm going to build them as is or go for a foam wing laminated with balsa and glass.

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United Kingdom United Kingdom
IP Logged
Posted: July/14/2016 at 3:01am  Quote

Hello Nicholas,

Welcome to rc scale builder site - non better anywhere.

I see you've already looked at Dave Anderson's La7 - good build and very comprehensive plans with loads of information.You could also take a look at his Arado 96b plan - builds into a very nice scale model with lots of detail to help you on the plan,as a warbird it's different and has a good story behind it.

Whatever you choose enjoy building it in this great hobby.

Pete

1/3 Piper Tripacer
1/4 Ryan Sta
1/4 Moth Minor
1/3 balsa USA Flybaby bipe
1/4 Bellanca Cruisemaster
Future build - 1/4 Pebdae Skylark

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: July/14/2016 at 8:01am  Quote

Hi Nicholas;

And by all means start a thread on your LA7. Tons of help on the site, and given your tool availability I bet that there is alot you can show us. I am in the process of teaching myself CAD, and learning how to use a cnc router & laser cutter and am always interested in how other do these things.

33% Tiger Moth Inherited Project
Albatros DII (On Hold)

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: July/14/2016 at 9:30am  Quote

The LA7 is a straight forward, long moment design that will be relaxing to fly. If you bash Dave's design by
increasing its size you could end up with a rather unique project equal in size to Klaus Syancara's Yak-11.
"Czech Mate" Sunrise with his  covered Yak wakes up the entire valley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slK-1Xw6EgM

Though Czech Mate is powered by a radial Moki 250 there are even more interesting
four cylinder inline Kolm engines of equal or greater strength. These make Moki pale
by comparison... ;^)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYwqJtJ34xc

Be sure to not ruin your computer speakers when listening to these two.

Ed

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: July/20/2016 at 9:29pm  Quote

Quote: black widow
Hello Nicholas,

Welcome to rc scale builder site - non better anywhere.

I see you've already looked at Dave Anderson's La7 - good build and very comprehensive plans with loads of information.You could also take a look at his Arado 96b plan - builds into a very nice scale model with lots of detail to help you on the plan,as a warbird it's different and has a good story behind it.

Whatever you choose enjoy building it in this great hobby.

Pete

Thank you Pete, I've seen the Arado, it's interesting indeed and as I live near a big lake, the 196A would be an amazing second or third build :)

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: July/20/2016 at 9:31pm  Quote

Quote: ScotWare
Hi Nicholas;

And by all means start a thread on your LA7. Tons of help on the site, and given your tool availability I bet that there is alot you can show us. I am in the process of teaching myself CAD, and learning how to use a cnc router & laser cutter and am always interested in how other do these things.

Hi Scott, I'm cadding it and plan to start a build thread when I start cutting wood, so it'll have some photos, not just plans 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: July/20/2016 at 9:35pm  Quote

Quote: ScaleAero
The LA7 is a straight forward, long moment design that will be relaxing to fly. If you bash Dave's design by
increasing its size you could end up with a rather unique project equal in size to Klaus Syancara's Yak-11.
"Czech Mate" Sunrise with his  covered Yak wakes up the entire valley.

Hi Ed, what a beauty, I used a set of headphones and it sounds amazingly good.
Andersens 96" looks like a beast to me, I'm preparing the workbench and the almost 30" Rib 1 is menacing :) And I have a small car :)

]
] ]