] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of Argentina Argentina
IP Logged
Posted: July/08/2016 at 2:34pm  Quote

Hello Board, greetings from Argentina. Long time (well at least 3 weeks) lurker first time poster. 
Very impressed with all the amazing building skills displayed here.
Some background first, I scratch built a lot during my high school years in the 90s mainly beginner and intermediate stuff from plans published in RC magazines, than college and work sucked me out of the hobby for a long time but a couple of years ago I began to fly and build again, electric foamies and now gliders. 
Now I think the time has come to fulfill my childhood dream and build a scale (or at least a sport scale) warbird. I'm thinking about 80"-90" wingspan and have a soft spot for russian, allied and japanese fighters.
My ideal candidates for this project would be:
1). Lavochkin 7
2). Yak 1 or 3
3). P47D
4). F6F Hellcat
5). Zero
6). Open for recommendations

Alternatively I'm also thinking about an early jet fighter for an EDF unit. My favorites are:
1). Mig 17
2). F86
3). Hawker Hunter
4). Open for recommendations

My goal for this project is to enjoy the building process and hopefully to create a nice flying bird. As my skills are lacking, a friend of mine who is a very capable aerobatic pilot will be flying or at least test flying the machine.
I don't expect to create a scale miracle, I'd like this to be mainly an enjoyable building of a reasonably accurate plane 

At first I thought about buying one of the Top Flite kits as a good and overall complete package to get things going but considering the shipping cost and what is most important local customs cost they end up being quite expensive (the TOPA0415 for example is just shy of 800 u$d). Although I've seen on the internet (can't remember where) someone building a top flite 51D using the pdf manual and cutting the parts from die-cut patterns. I don't know if Top Flite sells the plans....

What do I have in terms of tools and machines for this endeavour?
Benchtop cnc mill
benchtop lathe
Large closed chamber 3d printer
2mx1m cnc wooden router
A friend with a laser cnc cutter
Assorted handtools
vacuum pump and glassing equipment

I'm also finishing the welding of a dedicated bench for the building process.

So, considering my goals (enjoyable building experience and first time in almost two decades scratch build), I'd like to ask for any advice regarding a suitable model, a source for a reputable set of plans (better if they were CAD created as I'll be doing my own cutting) or just general encouraging as I'm a bit concerned about going "solo" (without a manual) in a such an ambitious build.

Thanks in advance!  

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: July/08/2016 at 2:59pm  Quote

Hi Nicholas, welcome to RCSB!

For your first scale I would suggest the P47 first or the Zero second.  P-47's are good flying airplanes as are Zeros - but they fly a lot differently from your friends aerobats.
It looks as if you have all the tools (or friends!) you could need for your projects

Let me recommend checking out the site supporter program, worth so much more than the small fee!  Here is a LINK

Let me know if I can help

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/08/2016 at 4:09pm  Quote

Nicolas,

I agree with Jeff, the P-47 is a fantastic first scale warbird. I would get the Top Flite kit if you can afford it. Top Flite does a excellent job with plans and building instructions perfect for a first build.You may also consider a Miester scale P-47 kit. The Miester kit will be a more accurate scale kit.

Best regards,

Patrick,
Wentzville, MO.

Patrick

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: July/09/2016 at 1:17pm  Quote

Hello Jeff, Patrick, thank you both for your kind words, I'll check the supporter link.

I just found the complete Anderson plans for the La7, printed the construction article and reading it right now to see if I'm up to this build. The meister planes look amazing as well, especially the P47, I think it'd look nice with the "lucky" paint scheme.
I'm also waiting for a local RC dealer to confirm if he has some TF kits in stock.

Thanks again.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/09/2016 at 6:22pm  Quote

Nicolas,

Anytime I can be of assistance just put a shout out.

Patrick,
Wentzville,MO.

Patrick

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: July/09/2016 at 9:13pm  Quote

Welcome to RCSB ! You can purchase the Top Flite P-47 from Edwardo Esteves in Brazil along with its power.
The Giant Scale TF P-47 is an excellent introduction to giant scale modeling. Good luck with this and your initial entry into Giant Scale modeling. Which 3D printer do you have?

If answering a question of good, better, and best P-47 design is being asked there are few comparable designs
because of physical size and composition. While one would imagine a good design is of lighter weight, the older
the design, there is a good chance it is going to be heavier and its bill of materials more old school than modern
composite materials.

If this is a question of which P-47 provides the most scale flight performance and physical accuracy to the 1:1,
I would recommend the CARF P-47 with a MOKI 250..

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/09/2016 at 11:18pm  Quote

Hey Nicolas,

From the sounds of it your no stranger to fabrication and have quite the arsenal at your disposal.

I think you would be limiting yourself by building a Top-flite kit. If you don't like the wood, you end up replacing it anyways. I've never built one, however I find that with kits you end up resigning something that's already been designed and fabricated.

In my opinion for scale fidelity, ease of building, and designing plans the list is low to high.

Meister plans
Nick Ziroli Planes
Jerry Bates plans.

A friend is building a meister p47, and there have been some hurdles. Ribs need to be leveled, things need to be altered and overall they require a lot of tweaking. However I heard they fly fantastic and overall the structure is very strong.

I've gone through a lot of Nick Ziroli plans and have the Sbd and P38 flown and in the detailing stage. They are hand drawn plans too, so some fairing and shaping of ribs and formers is required. They are solid designing and all of his planes follow the same building format. There are tons of threads to reference as well.

I haven't built a Bates yet, but I have his P-51B plans and have followed many of his builds. His plans certainly are cad drawn and seem like they're meant to be laser or cnc cut. I would consider them to be the most accurate of the 3, and everyone who has flown them has nothing but good things to say.

Of course this is only my opinion, so please take it with a grain of salt. No matter what you choose run a build thread, and questions or concerns you have someone has already seen and solved it, your in good hands here.

Best of luck

Kyle

In Queue
Bates P-51B
Don Smith B-29
Mitsubishi G4M1 Betty
Proctor Jenny Plans Build

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: July/13/2016 at 9:24pm  Quote

Quote: Patrick R.
Nicolas,

Anytime I can be of assistance just put a shout out.

Patrick,
Wentzville,MO.

Thank you Patrick!

]
] ]