]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: December/04/2012 at 8:59pm  Quote

Hello, Everyone,
I have been lurking for a week or two and just reading and learning. I have been flying RC aircraft off and on for 20 yrs. I have been building static, scale aircraft for 40 yrs (mostly 1/48). I have always been fascinated by scale RC aircraft. I am a HUGE WWII air ops guy, have been since I was 6.
I am going to continue to read. I wanted to introduce myself so when I post a question, you all will at least know a little about me.

A little more about me... 55 yrs old, divorced. My RC experience has me confident in my skills with flying a "well behaved" plane. My building skills are probably somewhere between good to very good. I have done extensive wood working in the past (furniture, cabinets, bookcases, etc) and my experience with static, scale modeling leads to good patience and I am not afraid to get creative when needed.

In fact, here are my 1st few questions:
1) Recommended 1st scale plane? I love the P-47, the FW-190D, Spitfire, and the Mossie (I LOVE the Mossie). Gimme an idea of what I should be considering for my 1st try (I know the Mossie is NOT that bird).
2) Which of the designers are truly good? I have heard about Ziroli for years and have seen several of his planes others have done and have been through the plans as well. I do like what I see.

That's it for now. I look forward to learning TONS from you all.

Dale

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: December/04/2012 at 9:12pm  Quote

Hello Dale - welcome to RCSB!  I think you are going about this the right way.  Before we get to selection, let me extol the benefits of becoming a site supporter - way more value received than cost - check the Site Supporter program http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/page_display.asp?pid=5

As for airplanes - have you built any models with retracts?  If you have, then no problem.  If not, I would recommend going with a fixed-gear scale trainer.  Reason being, you will be dealing with a lot of new techniques and compounding them with retracts is just a headache you don't need right off the bat.

That is not to say it cannot be done - if you are really confident in your skills and are not daunted by anything you have encountered here - then go for it!

Hundreds of Ziroli models have been built so those would be a good choice - the P-47 is a generally a good flier and would be a good first one.  I would also recommend looking over Jerry Bates' evere-expanding stable of airplanes (some are unique).  Jerry's plans are know for fidelity to scale and being good builds.

Don't overlook the Top Flight Giant Scale kits!  There is a lot to be said for building a kit as a first scale plane vs plans building.  BTW - this http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/Tutorials/Scale_Plans_Building /Building%20from%20Plans.htm would be good to read too!  Lot of good tips in there.

Once again, welcome!

Let me know if I can help

Basic Member
Basic Member
Passed Away 2014
IP Logged
Posted: December/05/2012 at 10:00pm  Quote

Hello Dale. I echo and agree with everything Jeff mentioned. My preference if asked would be the P-47 so I heartedly recommend the Top GS P-47. Please do consider becoming a site supporter. You get your money back with the first free walkaround down-load and you will keep this site up and operating. In addition you will have unlimited posts for comments and questions.

Welcome aboard. We are glad your here.

]
] ]