]
Author / Post
Avatar User Offline Charles-AC6WU
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: 18/October/2011 at 7:51pm  Quote

Hello all, I guess it's time I introduce myself. I have posted here for a year or so and even posted a build of Dave Bodington's kit of the 1912 Blackburn which I do not intend to fly any time soon (the maiden flight post will have to wait). I'm a retired Civil Engineer, Machine Designer and Draftsman.

My father was a mechanic on aircraft during WW1 and that probably led me to my interest in WW1 and Pioneer aircraft. I am 70 years old, have been building models since 1947 and have always been a scale builder. I began with solid scale and rubber powered models, quickly shifting interest to control-line flying in the late 1940's.

Sometime during the 1960's I tried my hand at powered free-flight and learned quickly that my models flew only too well. A brief experience with an unseen herd of bulls who insisted they had the right-of-way in the pasture I was using for a flying field, helped convince me that free-flight was a done deal. As they surrounded me, the only defense I had was an O.K. Cub .049 engine. I quickly started it in my hand and while running (both it and me), soon reached safety. I also realized then the advantage of a retrievable RC model.

I am entirely self-taught in building and flying and have made every conceivable mistake (and some that hadn't been thought of before) several times. I am a model ship builder as well and an amateur machinist.

My life-long ambition has been to design and fly my own scale models. RCSB has given me all the encouragement that one could hope for so I can no longer put it off. Any and all suggestions are welcome and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I have begun designing three interesting planes of the Great War era. I haven't seen these modeled before (and I've seen a few over the years). I plan to do the builds here on RCSB. The first, a Caudron R.11 is almost ready to send out for laser cutting. The other two, a Bleriot 71 bomber and a LeO 5 are on the drawing board. I'll give you a sneak preview of all three.

Thank you all for your time and especially your encouragement. Here is a preview of what's coming up...

The Caudron R.11...

The Bleriot 71...

and the Liore et Olivier LeO 5... 

Well, that's the plan, posts of the R.11 will begin by years' end.

Designing: Caudron R.11, Bleriot 71,
LeO 5

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: 18/October/2011 at 9:32pm  Quote

This will be verrrrrry intersting Charles!

Thanks for the intro

Let me know if I can help

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

]
] ]