Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
Hopeful
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: April/11/2012 at 9:20pm  Quote

Hey Everyone!

I have been into RC flight for a couple of years now and Im terrible at it! I learned to fly on my own (the expensive way) with a couple of foam RTF's. Recently I purchased a used tower hobbies trainer with a .40 size nitro engine and am learning to fly it. I joined a local club and the AMA and have been trying to get to the field as much as possible to meet with my instructor. I still havent solo'ed and I must admit that a large (relatively speaking) nitro trainer is much more difficult to fly than the parkzone sized electric foamies.

I didn't even know this wonderful site existed until I stumbled upon it in a post over at RCGroups. I checked it out and immediately signed up.

On RCG, I mostly frequent the vintage and old timers section. Not sure why I am attracted to that particular section, but its home for now. I go by the same username over there and currently have a build log going of a scratch build of Vic Smeed's Tomboy. The plans Im using were released in 1950 and originally intended for free flight. Im modifying the aircraft to be electric, 3 channel RC. Im near the tail end of the build. Have a few small bits of construction left, the electronics and linkages and then the covering. Last but not least is the highly anticipated maiden flight!

Over the process of my first ever scratch build (first ever build at all, for that matter), Ive learned a ton and I really enjoy building. So much, in fact, that I have quickly grown a sour taste for RTF's, ARF's, and in my opinion the worst, RTF foamies (it just seems like cheating to me). Mostly what I think I have learned throughout the build process is what NOT to do, which is probably as much or more important as what TO do.

Anyhow, enough of my rambling. I look forward to browsing this site and taking in all of the wonderful craftsmanship that I have sampled so far. Hopefully I will have something to post on here soon enough. As of current, I am planning on building a Pat Tritle kit of the D.H. 89 Dragon Rapide next, so maybe it will find a home somewhere on this site.

Also, my favorites are the Mig 3 and anything from the 1930's age of air racing (especially Caudron planes) so I hope to be able to indulge in some tasty build photos of the aforementioned favorites.

Take care and glad to be here!
MB out

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: April/11/2012 at 9:33pm  Quote

Hey mad hows it going from the thornton area! where are you located and which club have you joined?

rod

Building:
Chipmunk
Thunder Tiger P68 Partanavia

Denver, Colorado

Basic Member
Basic Member
Hopeful
IP Logged
Posted: April/11/2012 at 9:44pm  Quote

Im in Englewood (285 and University area). I joined the Jefco club and we fly out at Chatfield. Are you in the Arvada club?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: April/11/2012 at 11:28pm  Quote

Hey Cole, welcome to the "club".  I just started building a Hornet - would you believe print wood?  I was waiting on some parts for my Sopwith, saw the kit in the rafters and said why not?  It also was intened for FF, but am also modifying it fot rudder/elevator.  Not sure if I will set it up electric or glow - I have an .049 floating around somewhere.

Glad you found us! 

Let me know if I can help

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/04/2012 at 10:57pm  Quote

lol not part of a club right now dont really have anything to fly right now lol gotta get building!

Building:
Chipmunk
Thunder Tiger P68 Partanavia

Denver, Colorado

]
] ]