Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: October/18/2020 at 8:55pm  Quote

Spend some time on
RCU
This was my last post on the thread:
"You asked the question and didn't mention that you have other Saito radials so you sound like you are familiar with the issues. I was trying to point out that the identified issues might be more than most (first timers) are willing to undertake to get a $1000 engine to run satisfactorily.
The fiddling at the beginning was the part that I'm referring to and the additional $300-500 extra to fix issues that likely will be problems. There is no guarantee these won't self destruct in short order from identified short coming in the engines design.
Mine has run flawlessly as well but I also spend more time making sure that every thing is perfect than any other engine I've owned. I also have to run a Oil mix in the plane that 20:1 so I have to have separate supplies of fuel."

How old is your motor? There are various improvements Saito did to the engine to improve reliability. It would be handy to know which updates you have incorporated in your motor. Despite what others opined I have one of these engines and the instructions are wrong.
I have not had any issues with my engine but i have spend around $500 on the engine to ensure i don't.
Best to get a beer and revue the last half of the posts on RCU. You will get educated and understand what might be worth your attention to fix.
The sound of this engine at idle is absolute music. Mine will idle at around 1000 rpm.

Sparky

Gamma RIP

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

]
] ]