Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Gossip>Hangar 9 Carbon Cub FX-3 100-200cc ARF... Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump  
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: May/16/2020 at 11:37pm  Quote

Was wondering what all your ideas and thoughts on this giant 165" WS was?

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMCLL& amp;P=3

Looks like the plane was specifically designed around the new DLE 130 twin, and the existing DLE 170 and 220 engines.

I purchased one of the new DLE 130 twin engines, just for the hell of it, it should be delivered Monday, Then Yesterday I saw this new Hanger 9 plane while browsing... wound up buying a couple of the 2 piece cowls, mainly just to see what the quality of construction is like, and not really sure what kind of plans or idea I might be thinking on yet.

Maybe, I've got all the parts and a full wood kit for the Ziroli D-18, and was wondering what it would be like to enlarge the plans and turning it into a giant Beechcraft Queen Air which used flat 6's instead of the radials, just to be different.  The cowlings look very similar.  Twin 130's would be way over kill as is... just a screwy idea floating around in the back of my mind.  Cowlings should be here the end of next week.

Then again Having one of those big Carbon Cub FX-3's wouldn't be all that bad either.

Phil

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: May/17/2020 at 9:46am  Quote

The Carbon Cub as advertised is a answer to "I want it now" crowd. Anything that Horizon is willing to put their name on is a quality product. They are the gold standard in the hobby few others can match their level of quality. Their customer support is the best I have ever encountered in any company, not just in the hobby.
I like the idea of building a unique or unusual airplane.
You asked "what it would be like" to build off an enlarged plans...... A lot of effort (work).... Both in time and Money.

I kind of cringe when some one suggest enlarging or shrinking plans. Good for reference but all plans will be off a little compared to the full size. Get some good three views (several different sets to compare)and make sure what you are undertaking is correct in outline. If you are going to make the effort of essentially a scratch build make it as accurate as you can. As an example I saw a Gee Bee at 1/2 scale at a contest I was participating in. I had just built a very nice Adrian Page Kit of the Gee Bee so i knew a little about the outline of this airplane. When I looked at the 1/2 size it was very clear that the builder hadn't gone through the first part of build project, he had simply enlarged a rubber powered design for the Gee Bee it was more cartoon scale than 1/2 scale.

There are a lot of builds here on RCSB that you could reference if you are considering this build.
I don't think I've ever seen a queen air modeled. Mike Barbee has a giant (Electric) King Air that might get your attention.
His is maybe a $10k project.
Sparky

Gamma RIP

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/21/2020 at 12:11pm  Quote

Cowls came in yesterday.  These things are huge and quality looks good.  Tower out did themselves in shipping, ordered 3 of the cowls and they came individually boxed.  Each one was actually doubled boxed with lots of packing.  Size is hard to describe due to shape and large exhaust at bottom.  Built for flat opposed engines its basically a little over 14" wide at the front and about 13" at the back, top portion where the engine fits is approx., 10" with the bottom section a little smaller. Front to back is about 16"

The 2 - piece cowls with about 8 screws holding top to bottom section.  Paint is a high gloss white, with the very bottom exhaust section a High gloss black.  Has some well defined panel lines and fake louvered panels on each side.

May just get that 165" Cub and settle for that, as to the other, have a lot of thinking to do on that.

Phil

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: May/22/2020 at 12:00am  Quote

OBTW I just reread your post where you suggested converting a Z D-18 into a Queen Air.
Gets some three views and compare the two designs. You are better off starting with a blank piece of paper.
I'm glad you like the three cowls that you have.
Sparky

Gamma RIP

]
] ]