Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Show Your Stuff!!!>Ziroli Giant Hellcat Restoration Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 2 Pages 1 2
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: January/10/2021 at 9:11am  Quote

Thanks for the input fellas. The air tank is bedded with silicone. This plane was built with fixed gear and will never be more than Stand-off scale. The gear is from a new company and I wanted to try them out, Very robust looking and smooth operating for $120 bucks, Why not? Struts are Century Jet. I felt the urge to rescue this plane as it was built very rough and never flew. It's going to be an everyday flyer and scale detail will be missing for sure.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: February/05/2021 at 6:30pm  Quote

So I got all the modifications complete on the Hellcat. New retractable tailwheel, retract gear, new pull-pull controls on 

tailgear and rudder, fiberglassed the inside of the existing built-up cowl, new pilot, new dash panel, hatch for switches, 

charge jack, tach and air fill. rehinged all surfaces, upgraded all servos, new DLE 85cc and of course new radio and batteries.

Came in at 28 1/2 lbs ready to go. Whew!!

I will add some more pics this weekend. I plan on giving this big boy a maiden flight when the weather permits. 

If it flies anything like I think it will, I will get the correct struts, install gear doors, install dummy radial, and sand, finish and

repaint the whole plane. Probably order the fiberglass cowl also since the built up one is not shaped correctly. 

Stay Tuned!!!

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: February/05/2021 at 11:58pm  Quote

Sounds like you’re going to have fun.

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: March/03/2021 at 3:23am  Quote

Still in the rough, but balanced, pre-flighted, engine tuned and ready to maiden. 
Going to Albuquerque on the 20th to give it a workout along with the AT-6, Rare Bear and P-47 Hun Hunter. 
Hope to get some good pics there.

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: March/16/2021 at 9:22pm  Quote

Getting ready for the trip to Albuquerque. Preflights complete, motors have been run , charging batteries and loading on Thursday. It's been a long winter and I'm looking forward so much to fly all weekend. Weather looks to be in the 70's but wind may pick-up on the afternoons but definitely flyable. Taking the four planes in the picture. Hellcat of course - maiden, Rare Bear- maiden, Midwest At-6 - maiden and another few flights for the Yellow Hun Hunter P-47 restoration. BUSY WEEKEND!!!!

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: March/22/2021 at 10:26pm  Quote

WOW! Saturday was an awesome day in Albuquerque! Wind at 10 mph right down the runway all morning and in the 70's. I got the Hellcat, At-6 and Rare Bear maidened and what a bunch of beautiful flying planes. A few issues with tuning due to the altitude change and warmer temps but all in all one of the best flying days I've had in a long time. Wind crossed up and got to 25 mph+ before I could get the Hun Hunter in the air and Sunday was bad crosswind so I aborted and came home. Had two professional photographers there Saturday and am waiting for pics to upload here. The Hellcat flies as good as any warbird I've owned and I will be finishing it for competition, a lot of work because it is rough, but I think it will be well worth it. Pictures coming soon
Thanks!

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: March/23/2021 at 10:54pm  Quote

Got the pics from Saturday's Maidens!

]
] ]