Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Show Your Stuff!!!>Yellow P-47 Restoration Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 3 Pages 1 2 3
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Avatar User Offline giantscalejug
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: July/28/2020 at 1:57pm  Quote

Hi Tim,
Nice job bringing it back to life!  I'm scratch building a 1/6 P-47D-23 Razorback right now as my "prototype", the next will be a bubble and markings will also be for Hun Hunter XIV.  I did my razorback canopy in one piece with a mold and pulled some 0.060 PETG down over it...worked really well.  I'll be doing the same for the bubble top next.  Here are some pix of the razorback canopy being made with my home made vacuum table.  It is a bit technique dependent, but in the end you have a full canopy made in ONE PIECE so the windscreen and slider match up perfectly.

Cheers!

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/28/2020 at 2:05pm  Quote

Very nice! I am currently building a Razorback Yellow Kit, I was too far along to start a build thread for that one, but It is built with all equipment installed. Finishing rivets, paint and weathering now. It is done in the "Bonnie" scheme.

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/18/2021 at 9:03pm  Quote

I have fallen on some financial difficulties due to my wife's health and will be selling this plane along with about 19 others. Have the listing on RC Groups. If anyone is interested, please pm me here or reply on RC Groups ad.
Thanks,
Tim

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/20/2021 at 5:35pm  Quote

Whew!!! Squeaked through the hard times and things are looking up. I sold 10 other airplanes but managed to keep all of my Giant scale planes......so this one is no longer for sale. Thank you to the buyers of the other planes!!!

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: January/31/2022 at 2:12pm  Quote

Had to Throw in a pic landing my Yellow Aircraft P-47 in Albuquerque Yesterday. Photo courtesy of Fred Prince. I should be getting more in flight photos soon.

Avatar User Offline giantscalejug
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: February/01/2022 at 4:45pm  Quote

Looking sweet Tim!  My plans are to do a Bubble-Top for my second prototype for my scratch built plans.  I spent 3 days at the Tennesee Museum of Aviation and Neal Melton let me climb all over Hun Hunter XVI getting measurements and data for my planning.  I want to make those markings for my second JUG.

Right now I 'm working on the wing and setting up the plans for the radio installation.  Scratch building the wing is proving tricky: the ailerons are very thin and the "Freize" hinges require exacting linkages/pushrod setups...and it's no better for the flaps!

I don't want to cheat and just have "plain flaps with a big DuBro hinge"...and the exact scale flap drives I engineered would be too finicky and likely to skew and hang up.  So, I went with a more standard looking fowler flap setup...but adjusted the tracks so the flap will move more like the way the flap on the P-47 actually moves.  It is not exact, but its close, and it should be robust and effective in the long term.  However, it too will need some well-built drive pushrod setups.

These flap drives would have been trouble waiting to happen:

These should work a lot better:

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: February/01/2022 at 5:20pm  Quote

OOOH! I really like the set-up you plan to go with.....a lot simpler and less mechanism. I also have a YA Razorback already finished and that may be my last Jug (you never know) But I have A Hellcat, Hurricane. Martin Mauler and T-28 in the line-up and will consider your set-up for them. Thanks for sharing!!

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: February/02/2022 at 6:40pm  Quote

Got some additional pics from Albuquerque, courtesy Sean Linehan ....thought I'd share!

]
] ]