] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: April/07/2019 at 3:44pm  Quote

Been retired a couple of years and find that I have all (most) of my home projects done and have some time for a new hobby. Always loved airplanes. Been a E.A.A. member for years and do volunteer work at Oshkosh. I like working on and around the planes but I just cant handle rides in small planes. I like them but they dont like me.
  So I figured this might be a great way build and fly with my feet on the ground. I went to the Fond du Lac Warbird and Classic show last August to look around and see what the hobby is about. I ended up going home with a Balsa USA Stearman and a E-Flite Apprentice. 
  The Stearman has been a challenge but lots of fun and satisfaction as it comes together. I am a snow bird and could not bring out the Stearman to Sun City Arizona with us but was able to join AMPS and get flite instruction at their field. Also met acepilot1 who built and currently flies a busa Stearman. Cant thank him enough for the tip of joining this group and his help and patience with a newbie. 
  Heading back to Wisconsin soon and will be looking for a local club to join and builders to connect with.
  I have to say all the folks I have met in this hobby have been willing to help, answer questions and talk about their projects.
            I know I am in the deep end of the pool with this but still enjoy every hour I put into it.
                             Frank              

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of Australia Australia
IP Logged
Posted: April/07/2019 at 4:01pm  Quote

Good luck, Frank.

I bought an Apprentice (aged 70), and learned to fly with it on SAFE.

Work your way through to the Experienced setting as soon as you can.

I still fly mine.  (Now aged 72).  It's still fun.

Cheers

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: April/07/2019 at 4:41pm  Quote

Frank,

May I join Max in welcoming you to the RCSB site.  This is really a marvelous place to be for scale modeling at its best.  If it'll give you any joy, I'm 70 years old myself.  This means I'm celebrating my 41st anniversary of my 29th birthday; I just refused to grow up.

I too have built a Stearman, but it was much smaller.  It was a Guillow's kit.  So at least I can say we're joined at the hip in this regards.

I'm also an avid aviation enthusiast and (former) member of the EAA; and like all true die-hard enthusiast, I've made my great religious pilgrimage to the "Great Mecca of Aviation" and that was EAA's AirVenture, four times.  Also a licensed private pilot with multi-engine rating and A&P.  Sorry you couldn't agree with small planes, but I can really relate to what you mean.

Here, you'll find lots of vendors who will gladly give you an amazing amount of support in addition to our fellow members sharing their wealth of data and reference sources and the list is almost endless.  At first, I was intimidated by the quality of some of these guy's works, but everyone has accepted me and my little Guillow's projects, so I guess we're all supportive of each other no matter our skills or projects, big or small.

Don't hold back to ask questions.  That's what this site is all about too.

Gary (Skye)

]
] ]