] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of New Zealand New Zealand
IP Logged
Posted: September/16/2021 at 4:32pm  Quote

Thanks bluewell for all the info on this build. I have the plans and a kit of parts to start building this aircraft. Firstly I am not hugely experienced at scale modeling but much prefer my aircraft to look realistic and be flown in a realistic manner

I am working on a BN2a Islander at the moment which is my first large build, buts its close to finishing. The plan I have for the Islander is old and was originally designed for ic but I am going electric. I think I have most of it figured out, but of course motor/ battery selection is the big question mark

I note you have specified the set up you used for this model, but I am keen to know if this worked well. I am also interested to know where you mounted the batteries, for balance.

Any assistance on electrification would be appreciated               

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: September/16/2021 at 6:19pm  Quote

bluewell,

Very nice job on the "Dominie". I have also built the Swietzer Rapide back in '86 and painted it also in RAF colors as an air ambulance. Looked pretty much like yours, it had the British roundel on the fuse side along with the red cross in the white circle along side of it. The airframe has gone through a number of owners since that time and it still resides here in the Minneapolis area. In fact the current owner just re-maidened it if there is such a thing this past week-end. It has been recovered at one time and is know the yellow/black Automobile Association livery. These are great fliers, the are very stable with that high aspect ratio sailplane type wing and show no tendencies to tip stall. They are pretty sluggish on the ailerons so it is definitely a rudder/aileron coordinated turn machine,
geeveejay, I would say go for it! yes it is a bit of a complicated build especially the wing ribs. You have to do some planning ahead as far as how it will come apart or if it even has to come apart. You can't rig a biplane out at the field the same two times in a row so palnning is the order of the day.
I have built Swietzer's Rapide, Roger Farley's DeHavilland Dragon, Robin Fowler's DeHavilland Dragonfly, and a smaller Rapide from Ivan Pettigrew. They are all great fliers. I am almost ready to make a test flight on the "Dragon" after rebuilding the nose from a prior particularly bad landing.

Best of luck you guy's.

Dan

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United Kingdom United Kingdom
IP Logged
Posted: September/17/2021 at 5:55am  Quote

Quote: geeveejay
Thanks bluewell for all the info on this build. I have the plans and a kit of parts to start building this aircraft. Firstly I am not hugely experienced at scale modeling but much prefer my aircraft to look realistic and be flown in a realistic manner

I am working on a BN2a Islander at the moment which is my first large build, buts its close to finishing. The plan I have for the Islander is old and was originally designed for ic but I am going electric. I think I have most of it figured out, but of course motor/ battery selection is the big question mark

I note you have specified the set up you used for this model, but I am keen to know if this worked well. I am also interested to know where you mounted the batteries, for balance.

Any assistance on electrification would be appreciated               

Hi, I mounted each battery in the nacelle, need some modification to support the battery and allow some forward and rear movement for balance I found it was just about spot on. Did not have to add any weight to balance.

Any maiden flight has been delayed by Covid19 so still waiting for everything to come together, weather, time etc.

If I can help with any other info. Please let me know.

Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of New Zealand New Zealand
IP Logged
Posted: September/17/2021 at 7:33pm  Quote

Thanks for the comments. If you are able to send me a photo of the battery install at some point I'd be grateful

Good luck with that maiden. I have often wondered what scheme to go for. There is one in the aviation part of Motat in Auckland I went look at a few months ago that was a commercial aircraft in NZ for NAS, I am leaning towards that  ZK-AHS

Regards Graham  

]
] ]