Author / Post
Avatar User Offline Planecrazy200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Scale Head
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: April/01/2018 at 2:45pm  Quote

My opinion only but I think there are many scale, stand off scale, top gun quality scale (given the membership numbers) builders that are part of this site but don't post because progress for some takes many months, years and they feel that the viewers will lose interest in the build so why bother. I look at all the projects started and the last date any post was made and came to the conclusion its either interest was lost or that big killer "life interrupted" As of now I fall into this first group. I've been building a 24% Hostetler 421 C for approx 6 months now and have the fuse, horizontal stab and fin/rudder framed at aprox. 80% and a Sig 1/4 scale cub at 90% complete. I am shooting for the Cub to be flying early summer and the 421C for AMA East 2019 with any luck. My next build/builds I will post once I decide what it/they may be.

In conclusion I hope to break that train of thought and post any and all progress on my next build/builds. I hope some of you do the same! I have 2 x 96" main build tables and an assembly table for when all the building is done so I build 2 at a time. Reason for this is I don't use the super glues so while plane "A" is drying I"m gluing plane "B". I also try to build both from the same time period when I can and country that way I use the same paints on both projects. For example the FW-190 and a Stuka or ME-110. Happy Holidays to all!

Built...still counting! Let you know when I retire.
Building H421-C,YZero,FWTA-154
Next Up Macchi 202,R C500 enlg,125"

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: April/01/2018 at 8:40pm  Quote

I would like to point out another concern of the moderation.  Early on Mike let it be known this was going to be a family friendly site and would be a safe place for children to visit.  Whith this level of moderation we can be unconcerned about what our children are going to see.  with that in mind, I have sent my Grandson links many times to visit the site and take a look at what Papa was up to at the time.  He lives far from me but this keeps up in touch.  Ony our strict moderation policy allows me to do this.

David

YA P-47
AN2
YPT-14,
Platt 190
Phoenix YPT-14
Nieuport 28
Fokker D7
Lysander
T-28
Viper
Building:
YA Zero
Anderson LA-7
Bates J2M Raiden

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of Australia Australia
IP Logged
Posted: April/01/2018 at 10:07pm  Quote

Very nice to read this, as I have been having something of a crisis of confidence myself about these issues.  With a young family, a full-time job and many other time hungry responsibilities, the opportunity to regularly work on a scale model is limited.  That is apart from the fact that my knowledge and skill levels are minute compared with many of the experts who populate this site.

Having decided to jump in with my own build I find it embarrassing in the way it has slowed to a crawl.  I have recently been telling myself that I won't do it again, as the best builds to read by far are the ones that go quickly.  I remain in two minds about this, as I wonder whether the slow-paced build really does add much value to the site.

I've never had a problem with the moderation.  My wife looked at the site once and commented on how nice everybody was.

Currently Flying:
Proctor VK 1/6 Camel
FlexInnovations Mamba 10
Sig Hummer

Admin Group
Admin Group
RCSB Owner/Founder
IP Logged
Posted: April/01/2018 at 10:11pm  Quote

ALL build threads add value to this community! I find it interesting that so many folks are so concerned about the status of any given build (including their own). Folks remember, this is a HOBBY not a race. The threads are not here to entertain, they are here to learn from. It is not anyone's responsibility to build at any given pace but the one they choose. 

Mike

Update Your Browser!

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: April/03/2018 at 9:47pm  Quote

I just started my 1st build here despite being a member for many many years.   I primarily build classic pattern planes but have long followed the top builders here.   Glad to finally switch to scale. 

Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of Canada Canada
IP Logged
Posted: April/11/2018 at 9:23pm  Quote

Just came across this post and after reading comments from both sides thought I would add my 2 cents. As you say life can get in the road and it definitely does at times. A model can sit for months, even years before things get going again. Recently I got onto this site due to getting back into things again. After many years.Been into building since in my early 20's. Now in early 60's, but life does have it's stops and goes. I'm  a member here and this site gives me a kick to get into building. It's nice to see what others are doing and the quality of builds vary from the backyard frequent flyer to the gung hoe scale beautiful stuff you see some build. We all can't be like that. Time and skill to get there. Some are happy to just build there own. Don't be afraid to show us your stuff. We're not going to judge you at all. No ones going to laugh. We all started ourselves at one time. We all make mistakes.  I think this site needs categories for different scales and maybe different scale levels. There are quite a few categories now but they're all in one lump for certain ones as in scratch builds. One category but all kinds of things in there. I go in there lots because I'm do old school builds. Always looking for neat builds but what I find is all kinds of things. Could be small, large builds etc. I'm not sure what the best solution would be. One other area is the buy and sell. It's interesting. A comment for Admin is it would be nice to do a search from main page for whole site. Unless I'm doing this wrong when I want to find say "retract installs" just for an example. I find myself going to every section and do a search for this. Different builds/ different designers etc. Maybe I'm not doing this right and I may be wrong but I find it very difficult to find info. Back to this site. I love it for what it is. Lots of information available from the guys who have either done it or know how. Have an issue or problem. Throw it out there and you get a response. Yes, everyone needs to stay on topic. I saw one post that turned into a 1to1 scale pictures etc. Nice but this is not the site. I went into this post initially because of the build but once they got into the off topic pics etc I just backed out and forgot that one.   Shouldn't be that way.. So yes we need a wide array of builders on here showing off they're prize builds no matter what size, scale, quality, condition. Whether it's  show champion or backyard homebuilt. It's like the family with the weird ugly looking kid. They see him as beautiful  because he's there's. Our builds are the same. Some are bad but they're wonderful to us because we built it and it fly's.  

Slow build Ziroli Spitfire
Next on the board Bates 100" SBD

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: April/14/2018 at 11:24am  Quote

Great discussions. I have been modeling for over 50 years. I find something new and useful on this site almost daily. And, believe me, a lot of it comes from the newbies. Our hobby continuously evolves. Mostly based on new materials and methods. Always something to learn. That helps to keep our hobby, and participants, young and fresh.

But, the only way our hobby will survive, is to bring more youngsters on board. I am sure many of us have thought about this and I also believe this site is the ideal place to start a discussion about what we can do to increase participation.

Oh yeah, about the moderator and his staff; they are the best!

Jerry

Admin Group
Admin Group
RCSB Owner/Founder
IP Logged
Posted: April/14/2018 at 12:32pm  Quote

Quote: dnimigon

A comment for Admin is it would be nice to do a search from main page for whole site. Unless I'm doing this wrong when I want to find say "retract installs" just for an example. I find myself going to every section and do a search for this. Different builds/ different designers etc. Maybe I'm not doing this right and I may be wrong but I find it very difficult to find info.

Go to "Community" on the site menu and click "Search" and you can search the entire site. 

Update Your Browser!

]
] ]