Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Site News>June Site News (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 2 Pages 1 2
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Admin Group
Admin Group
RCSB Owner/Founder
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: June/01/2016 at 10:35am  

Greetings all,

Lots of exciting things going on this summer to make RCSB a better experience for you. As you may or may not have seen yet we have deployed the new Search, implemented some reminder tools to help you keep your browser updated which in turn helps keep your experience on the web safe and secure. I am constantly looking for new ways to make your experience better and more secure.

This month we will be placing RCSB on a Content Delivery Network (CDN). What is a CDN? It allows us to serve up site static assets (some pages, images, style sheets and client side scripting) locally near your location. The CDN we will be using has over seventy (70) access points all over the world, excellent firewall services and one of the fastest and most secure DNS (domain name server) systems on then planet allowing fast lookups! If you are outside of the United Stated you will see a noticeable speed improvement!

Of course tightening up things always comes with consequences. If you live in a country that is know for producing lots of spammers and hacks you will most likely have to enter a CATPCHA before getting to the site the first time. While this will only affect a very tiny number of members it is a small price to pay to help keep spammers and hackers out.

Also, shortly after that we will be implementing SSL (the little lock you see that tells you your info is being encrypted) to make sure everything you do here is safe and secure. These may seem like excessive measures but the web has truly become the wild wild west and there are a lot of bad people who want nothing more than to inconvenience and damage things if possible.

I hope to be able to pull this change off with minimal disturbance but if you have any issues after the move please feel free to contact me. I will be sending out an email to all members before we make the move to the CDN to remind everyone and thank you all for your continued support and growth of RCSB!

Until next time, Blue skies and calm winds!
Mike

Update Your Browser!

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: June/02/2016 at 7:17pm  

Mike.

Will that also allow us to check into RCSB on more than one device at a time, such as the PC and an Apple tablet without having to register each time?

Please excuse my almost total ignorance of how all this works.

Alan

Woodway, TX

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Admin Group
Admin Group
RCSB Owner/Founder
IP Logged
Posted: June/02/2016 at 7:20pm  

Quote: Alan

Mike.

Will that also allow us to check into RCSB on more than one device at a time, such as the PC and an Apple tablet without having to register each time?

Please excuse my almost total ignorance of how all this works.

Alan

No Alan. It is just a way to protect the site and allow everyone all over the planet to experience RCSB quickly. As I have stated many times on this site the effort involved in making that change would require major rewrites of core parts of this version RCSB and we just don't have the resources to do that.

Regards,
Mike

Update Your Browser!

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: June/02/2016 at 10:43pm  

I really like the recent post list on the left of the page. Is their anyway to have a button to see the list of all new posts since your last visit? Or possibly all the posts from the current day?

Thats a nice way to follow active builds and threads when there are so many different forums..

Admin Group
Admin Group
RCSB Owner/Founder
IP Logged
Posted: June/02/2016 at 10:45pm  

Quote: foodstick
    I really like the recent post list on the left of the page. Is their anyway to have a button to see the list of all new posts since your last visit? Or possibly all the posts from the current day?

Thats a nice way to follow active builds and threads when there are so many different forums..

We already have it foodstick, it's called "Active Topics" and it's on the "Community" menu item at the top of every page. Might want to take some time and explore around the site some. You might be surprised what you will find. :-)

Cheers,
Mike

Update Your Browser!

Avatar User Offline Dragon Slayer
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Dragon Slayer
National Flag of Australia Australia
IP Logged
Posted: June/05/2016 at 6:37pm  

Hi Mike,

Great job. Thanks for your ongoing efforts. 

I particularly like the new Search Beta Test thingy ... works a treat.

Ciao

Ken

To maiden
Fatface Skyraider DLE 130
Ziroli Hellcat Moki 150

Flying ...
Westland Lysander 168" Moki 250

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of Belgium Belgium
IP Logged
Posted: June/06/2016 at 11:53pm  

Someone an idea how I can make my Android Firefox open search results in new tab page?

Admin Group
Admin Group
RCSB Owner/Founder
IP Logged
Posted: June/07/2016 at 7:13am  

Quote: dirkske
Someone an idea how I can make my Android Firefox open search results in new tab page?

Hi dirkske,

Not really a support question about RCSB but lucky for you that is the browser I use on my tablet and phone.

1. To open a link in a new tab, do a long-tap on the link to open the contextual menu.
2.  On the contextual menu, tap Open Link in New Tab.
3. To switch to your new tab, view your tabs and tap on its thumbnail.

Hope that helps. Guys please post support question in the support forum (which is monitored closely by me) and not in normal threads. I may or may not be able to see support questions in threads. Thank you!

Cheers,
Mike

Update Your Browser!

]
] ]