Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Site News>Where We Are... 2016 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 2 Pages 1 2
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Dutch Dawn Patrol
National Flag of Netherlands Netherlands
IP Logged
Posted: February/14/2016 at 9:19am  

Quote: jharkin
Looks like Teus bumped Germany out of the top five

Canada here we come

Building board:
Nieuport-11 + rotary engine

Flying:
1/4 Proctor Fokker E.III
1/3rd Fokker D-VII
1/3rd Nieuport-11

In maintenance:
a 1982 Busa build 1/3rd Sopwith Pup

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: February/14/2016 at 9:26am  

I do have several friends that claim to me that they have attempted to sign up as a basic member and didn't like the process . I am not saying it needs changed, but those people will never be a paying member if they don't see what its about as a basic member.

Maybe my friends are the only easily discouraged out there? But I imagine that is not the case. Its been ages since I signed up and it didn't seem so difficult.. However it sounds as though it might be more intensive  now? Some people really don't like giving a ton of info to just read and lurk.

I realize that helps keep certain things easier to manage.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Admin Group
Admin Group
RCSB Owner/Founder
IP Logged
Posted: February/14/2016 at 9:56am  

Quote: foodstick
   I do have several friends that claim to me that they have attempted to sign up as a basic member and didn't like the process . I am not saying it needs changed, but those people will never be a paying member if they don't see what its about as a basic member.

Maybe my friends are the only easily discouraged out there? But I imagine that is not the case. Its been ages since I signed up and it didn't seem so difficult.. However it sounds as though it might be more intensive  now? Some people really don't like giving a ton of info to just read and lurk.

I realize that helps keep certain things easier to manage.

Hi Foodstick,

Thanks for your comments and thoughts, I really appreciate the feedback. The minimum information people have to give to register is a username, password, email address, pick their country, and answer the CAPTCHA question (anti-spam).

I am not sure how much easier I can make it. All the other registration information is optional (as noted on the registration page) if people would just READ that .

Also, the registration has not changed since I started the site. There are always a percentage of folks that are either to lazy to ask a question if they have one, want to try and "trick" the system and not put in a valid email address so their account can be verified, or just don't want to register for whatever reason. RCSB is just like your R/C club, there are a lot of folks want to just browse and not participate, and that 10-20% that participate. That is pretty common on these type of sites. Not sure what your friends are talking about foodstick, if anyone ever has a question when registering all they have to do is contact me using the contact us and I am always more than willing to help them out any way I can as many can attest to.

What puts most folks of is "having to pay to play" making them completely reject the site without even understanding why.  Regardless of what anyone thinks, it cost a lot of money to host a high traffic site. Sites like RCU and RCGROUPS can focus on an advertising model to fund the site as they have much larger and wider audience of different aspects of the hobby giving them enough of a base to lure a wide range of advertisers. RCSB has to use a subscription model because there just is not enough scale advertisers to support the site.

RCSB has been around 13 years and we continue to grow every year. If someone doesn't like or agree with the way our community is organized or run they are still in great shape because there are many other choices (like RCU and RCGROUPS). We are not trying to attract everyone, just those that are interested in this aspect of the hobby.

Regards,
Mike

Update Your Browser!

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: February/14/2016 at 11:59am  

I will give my fiends some grief as that is not so bad to register....

I just thought I'd mention it as I wasn't sure anyone else had brought it up recently.

Admin Group
Admin Group
RCSB Owner/Founder
IP Logged
Posted: February/14/2016 at 12:13pm  

Quote: foodstick
I will give my fiends some grief as that is not so bad to register....

I just thought I'd mention it as I wasn't sure anyone else had brought it up recently.

I hear ya....

If they have any problems registering tell them to contact me using the "Contact Us" on the site menu and I will be more than happy to help out if I can. Also the FAQ has a lot of common registration and user issues/questions there.

Cheers,
Mike

Update Your Browser!

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: February/15/2016 at 7:16pm  

I was just thinking the other day (it happens sometimes) how much I enjoyed this site and so far I have not run across any flaming or anything of the sort.  A totally enjoyable experience here and I have learned an awful lot.

There is only one problem... After seeing some work on here, I have realized that I am just a wood butcher.  :(

]
] ]