Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Vendor Announcements>Rivets and panels and cockpits oh my! Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump 6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: June/10/2015 at 12:31am  Quote

Hello fellow scale builders,

Thank you to everyone who has inquired about any of the products that I offer.  Your interest, encouragement, and suggestions have been far and above anything I ever expected.  Unfortunately I have been, and continue to be, hindered from devoting the necessary time to keep up with demand by a number of non-modeling related issues.  Some of these are ongoing issues that have become a normal part of daily life but several are recent developments which are demanding my undivided attention, at least for the short term.  Said issues have already caused some serious delays with orders that were already on the books and I do not wish to gain a reputation for not being able fill orders in a timely fashion.  Thus I think the best course of action at this time will be to suspend the majority of operations until I can get some of these things under control and regain some semblance of normalcy.  I do need to maintain at least a minimal income stream and so my plan is to continue to offer the rivets, fasteners, and other laser cut vinyl surface details as long as I can do so in a relatively timely fashion.  These items demand a great deal of laser cutting time but not much of my personal time.  All other items will be unavailable for the time being.  My hope is that I can return to production, possibly in a few months, in a more legitimate and professional fashion.  I have seen enough potential to convince myself that a go at making this a "real" business, rather than just a side show, could be worth the effort and risk.  At any rate that is tentatively my plan but, of course, time will tell.  Once again a big thank you to all those who have purchased, or shown interest in purchasing, any of my products.  I hope to work with you again in the future and, with any luck, in a renewed and much larger capacity.

Stay tuned... 

If it ain't broke, go fly it!

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: June/10/2015 at 7:13am  Quote

Chad,
Yep, life gets in the way some time....

From Platt's Laws of Scale Modeling:

#7. Live by the principle of scarfology. Things disappear from the marketplace, so scarf them up while the scarfing is good.

My problem is remembering where I put my stash so I can find it when I need it.
Sparky

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of New Zealand New Zealand
IP Logged
Posted: June/11/2015 at 2:29am  Quote

[QUOTE=Sparky]Chad,
Yep, life gets in the way some time....

I hear you Chad. Here's hoping you get your issues sorted and get back to what you love.

Neil

1/4 MR Sopwith Pup

Building:
BT Mosquito PR XVI @ 1:6.5 scale

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: August/17/2015 at 9:46am  Quote

Chad how or where can I purchase a 1/5 scale fu4 corsair rivet/fastener kit

Thank you
Dan

Avatar User Offline Martin Bleasby
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United Kingdom United Kingdom
IP Logged
Posted: August/19/2015 at 1:54am  Quote

Hi Chad,

Some amazing stuff you have on show here..

I have an ARTF Mustang and wondered if I could use the rivet system on this model?..

Also the Spitfire Cockpit Kit looks wonderful what scale do you produce.

Best wishes,

Martin.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: August/19/2015 at 5:55pm  Quote

Quote: Martin Bleasby
Hi Chad,

Some amazing stuff you have on show here..

I have an ARTF Mustang and wondered if I could use the rivet system on this model?..

Also the Spitfire Cockpit Kit looks wonderful what scale do you produce.

Best wishes,

Martin.

Hello Martin,

I do have several rivet options which are suitable for ARF models.  One would be to use opaque rivets in one or more colors to suit the scheme on the model.  For example some of my customers are using dark gray and light gray rivets, putting the darker color rivets on the light colored areas of the model and vice-versa.  Gray is just one of many options however and I can make the rivets in just about any color that you like.  The other option is to use clear vinyl for the rivets.  The laser cutting process leaves a nicely darkened edge to the vinyl which represents a rivet quite well.  In sunlight the clear vinyl is visible but not obvious and provides a nice effect.  They down side is that they do not show up nearly as well on dark colors as they do on light colors.  I have gone around that problem by lightly dry brushing the rivets with a light colored paint to make them "pop" a bit.  Works nicely but is, of course, additional work.  Below are a few pictures of the clear rivets used on a Hangar 9 P-47 ARF.  The rivets are left unaltered on the white and yellow areas and were dry brushed with white acrylic craft paint on the green and blue areas.  The whole airplane was then given a coat of flat clear sealer.  The clear coat is highly recommended to seal the rivets and I cannot guarantee that they would stay put in the long run without it.  It may not be absolutely necessary on an electric powered model but would be on gas or glow for sure.  While I am pleased with the results shown using the clear rivet system I must confess that they are harder to work with than the standard colored vinyl rivets and I really prefer the latter over the former.  Hopefully that helps a bit but I am more than happy to answer any questions either here or via email at cwveich@cwvmodels.com if you prefer.

Regarding the Spitfire cockpit it was designed to fit the Brian Taylor 1/5.3 scale airplane, and more specifically the glass fuselage for said model.  Many of my customers have used them in other similar scale Spits such as the Pica and Yellow offerings but, of course, the bulkheads are not suitable for use in those cases.  I am happy to sell the components seperate of the bulkheads though.  However, as noted in a previous post, I am not currently producing the cockpit kit for the time being but hope to be back in production late this year or early next.

Thanks for your inquiry!

If it ain't broke, go fly it!

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: September/12/2015 at 6:29pm  Quote

Chad,

New to scale building and am at this time working on a Jerry Bates 1/6 scale Hellcat. Very interested in any items that you would have for this plane as I am planning ahead for the winter building season. Thanks Mark Taylor

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: September/13/2015 at 1:10pm  Quote

Mark,
Get the Sierra Retracts you get what you payfor.
Sparky

]
] ]