] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Basic Member
Basic Member
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: September/02/2020 at 2:05pm  Quote

Hi all. Not new to RC planes, but new to the building part. I am doing research on building a F6F Hellcat. This will technically be my "first" build. I built a trainer back in the early 90s. Got out of the RC sport because of the military and then 3 kids. Empty nest syndrome has rewarded me with some time to get back into the sport. Have been back in to flying for 3 years now. Had to relearn how to fly, if that makes sense, on a trainer. Moved up to warbirds, 55" foamie P-51, and then felt like a traitor(Navy Vet), so I ditched it for a 48" foamie Bearcat. I also have a 48" foamie sport jet. I love warbirds, especially WW2 prop planes, and I really like the look of the F6F. Looking for opinions from seasoned builders. This build will be different from the trainer, or at least I figure that it will. Wanting to build the 96" Ziroli, but something tells me that I should go with the 80" Bates. Or are there any other versions of the F6F that I should look into? Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

Steve

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Avatar User Offline Skyediamonds
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: September/02/2020 at 2:43pm  Quote

Steve,
Welcome to the RCSB site. Trust me, you’ll find no shortage of Hellcat modelers here. Everyone has their own opinion & build threads abound here. You only need to look at the previous build threads. You will also be exposed to a wealth of information, ideas & suggestions from us members from which retracts works best to scale detailing (If that’s where you also want to go) to members helping you with your builds, semi-kits, plans, which engines or electric motors to weight & balance (remember your retracts will rotate & go back shifting your C.G.), servos radios, batteries & a whole lot of support from vendors as well.

I strongly advise you to join this site. Seeing you’re a basic member will only permit you to post 5 replies. It’s really cheap & it pays for itself.

You’ll also find lots of die-hard naval enthusiasts from pilots to RIOs yo mechanics & everyone in between.

Welcome!

Skye

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: September/02/2020 at 4:03pm  Quote

Steve,
This is my Bates 80" Hellcat. I hope you have considered the $ and time required this. It isn't for the faint of heart. The NASA had a raffle Horizon Hellcat turn key From what I understand one thing lead to another and it is for sale. I would guess $2k would get it to your shop. I could get you in contact with the seller if you really want one.

Sparky

Gamma RIP

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: September/02/2020 at 5:08pm  Quote

Quote: Sparky
Steve,
This is my Bates 80" Hellcat. I hope you have considered the $ and time required this. It isn't for the faint of heart. The NASA had a raffle Horizon Hellcat turn key From what I understand one thing lead to another and it is for sale. I would guess $2k would get it to your shop. I could get you in contact with the seller if you really want one.

Sparky

Great looking bird! Yes, I have considered the time and I figured around $4K to $4500 for what I am wanting to do. Looking at doing theBates 80", Robart electric retracts and a Saito 90r3. I have a shop  with 95% of the tools. Cant find exactly what I want, so I figured I would.build.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Head Curmudgeon
IP Logged
Posted: September/02/2020 at 8:21pm  Quote

The 60 is enough I don't know if the 90 will fit.
Sparky

Gamma RIP

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: September/02/2020 at 8:24pm  Quote

Sorry wasnt paying attention to see.that you had the 60 on yours. 2 or 3 blade and are you getting good flying speed without going full throttle?

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: September/02/2020 at 8:24pm  Quote

Steve,

Welcome to the largest scale resource on the internet. Most questions have been
and will be answered in threads on an aircraft you are partial to.

You might want to consider a second hand 80ish warbird before beginning a large
scale build. I say this after reading the word foamie multiple times in your initial
post. Not that there is anything wrong with foam...

Remember the only dumb question is one not asked...that's why we are all here...
looking for answers... :) Why did I, or why didn't I...

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: September/02/2020 at 8:31pm  Quote

Quote: ScaleAero
Steve,

Welcome to the largest scale resource on the internet. Most questions have been and will be answered in threads on an aircraft you are partial to.

You might want to consider a second hand 80ish warbird before beginning a large scale build. I say this after reading the word foamie multiple times in your initial post. Not that there is anything wrong with foam...

Remember the only dumb question is one not asked...that's why we are all here.

I did have an old 81" Ugly Stik that I got, second hand with an ancient Futuba setup with a Zenoah G38 ,tail dragger. After getting a new coil for the 38, I had her up and flying and had the receiver fail on me. Ended up going into a tree and it took a pounding when it hit the ground. Still have the G38 running on a stand for now. That being said, I know that is different than a big warbird. Thanks for the heads up!

]
] ]