] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: July/15/2020 at 10:19am  Quote

A few photos of my BSA 1/4 scale Camel. It was mostly finished back in October but didn't maiden it until last week. It started off with a converted Homelite engine but it seemed down on power. I purchased and installed a G-26. Lots more power but now the airplane needed to be re-balanced. One of the reasons I liked the Homelite conversion is that it was a convenient source of nose weight. I ended up overthinking the balancing and the Camel ended up ridiculously nose heavy. I ended up running out of elevator on the first very brief flight and put her on her nose. I removed a ton of nose weight and put in two much more satisfactory flights. The marking are from Callie Graphics and represent the airplane as it was pictured at a training depot. The aircraft had seen combat but these marking were probably applied after its return to England and were probably of short duration. the landing gear now has a spreader bar and there are a few more scale details to add such as a wind screen.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Admin Group
Admin Group
RCSB Owner/Founder
IP Logged
Posted: July/15/2020 at 10:27am  Quote

Very nice! Love the scheme! 

Update Your Browser!

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
keith
National Flag of United Kingdom United Kingdom
IP Logged
Posted: July/15/2020 at 11:04am  Quote

Congratulations, it's nice to see another Camel flying and it looks to have the correct sit in the air

If in doubt, try it !! Because your first idea is normaly what you end up doing

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/15/2020 at 8:17pm  Quote

Quote: kcman
Congratulations, it's nice to see another Camel flying and it looks to have the correct sit in the air
Thanks, I'm very pleased with that aspect. I got lucky with the incidences and thrust angles. It doesn't zoom at full throttle and it doesn't seem to have any pitch changes with changes in power. It doesn't drag the tail around turns the way that some biplanes seem to. 

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/15/2020 at 10:11pm  Quote

Congrats on the maiden.. .Looks super!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
National Flag of Australia Australia
IP Logged
Posted: July/16/2020 at 6:56am  Quote

Quote: Mgnostic
Thanks, I'm very pleased with that aspect. I got lucky with the incidences and thrust angles. It doesn't zoom at full throttle and it doesn't seem to have any pitch changes with changes in power. It doesn't drag the tail around turns the way that some biplanes seem to. 

Care to elaborate on what settings you used? They'll come in handy when I eventually get to mine.

Currently flying - A bunch of stuff
Currently building - BUSA 1/4 Scale Pup
Future build - Now that's a good question haha

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/16/2020 at 9:55am  Quote

Quote: NOI53Y
Quote: Mgnostic

Care to elaborate on what settings you used? They'll come in handy when I eventually get to mine.

The airplane was pretty much built to BUSA plans. I will have to go look to see if there was any additional down thrust added. That's the down side to not getting to the maiden flight for six months. When I wrote the comment I was thinking about the difference between the Camel and my Nieuport 17. The N-17 is an enjoyable flier but likes to zoom climb under full power. It could really use a couple more degrees of down thrust but the engine installation won't permit it. I had to put a small bump in the aluminium cowl to clear the magneto coil as it is. That is what I get for using an oddball engine (25cc Homelite conversion). I will have to remeasure the CG on the Camel as I haven't gotten a specific measurement since I pulled some of the weight off.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: February/26/2022 at 3:10pm  Quote

The Camel looks great and I don't think I have seen the scheme before either.. Its nice seeing people have fun with the Camel design after all the questionable smaller versions that have been released. Busa did good on this kit. Other than my worry on no lite ply rib doublers around the landing gear in the bottom wing.

As to your N17, it brings back memories of My N11 test flight, wanted to go straight up..and it wasn't abalance problem. I made so many adjustments in the motor and tail and wing incidences before I got it better. I still have the most down thrust in it of all my WW1's.

Then shortly after that it got cut nearly in half by another WW1, an ARF of all insults !!!

]
] ]