] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: June/26/2015 at 11:42am  Quote

Hello My name is Scott Lindsay.  I am from Syracuse, New York which for some of you not familiar with New York it is not any where near New York City.  If you look at a map, Syracuse is pretty much center of the whole state.  I have been flying for roughly ten years and all my planes have been electric power, foam construction, and ARFs.  I have bought a kit a few months back of a Golden Age of Flight plane called the "Pete" but it looks complicated so before tackling that I am going to build a kit from SIG Manufacturing.  Once I have those under my belt, I want to move into scale building and eventually scratch build a WWII warbird.  I am unsure which bird because each country of WWII made some impressive flying machines.  I am true blue American but the Axis Power had some nice looking birds.  I believe this will be a good site to help me fullfill my goal to scratchbuild and get to Top Gun of competition.  I look forward to reading and seeing everyone posts. I like jets but there is just something about a good sounding piston plane streaking through the sky.

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Basic Member
Basic Member
Balsa Hacker
IP Logged
Posted: June/26/2015 at 12:40pm  Quote

Hi Scott,
Welcome to RCSB! I know where Syracuse is, that's where my dad was born and lived most of his younger years.

It sounds like you are making a smart transition from ARF's to the building world, building is nothing magic or mysterious.

So you want to design, build, and fly at Top Gun? Its never to late to get started in the contest scene and its a bunch of fun pitting your work against your fellow modelers. But remember, the whole competition thing is actually you against your self and for me it's a matter of constant improvement in both building and flying.

As for picking a scale subject, build what ever it is that really does it for you, a scale build will run into a year or more and you have to keep the enthusiasm going strong about the subject otherwise you'll end up putting it in the shelf and moving on to something else.

Now it's time for me to get back to the building board,

See ya,

Larry B

[/IMG]

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: June/26/2015 at 2:28pm  Quote

Hiya Scott, welcome to RCSB.  This is arguably the best site for RC Scale on the internet.  You will enjoy your time here and learn a lot!

Let me suggest however, that you check out the site supporter program (HERE) - as a supporting member you will have access to all the neat stuff on the site, plus unlimited posting.  WAY better than any magazine and totally focused on SCALE.  Well, about 99% focused . . . .

Let me know if I can help

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: June/26/2015 at 8:54pm  Quote

Larry and Jeff,

Thanks for the warm welcome.  I am excited about getting involved with building instead of buying completed planes.

-Scott

Avatar User Offline Jason Holden
Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: July/15/2015 at 11:40pm  Quote

Welcome to the site Scott. I'm also new here and also from Upstate NY. I also have a home in Texas but I was born in NY. I miss going to Walt's Hobbies and Performance Hobbies in Webster. Also Dan's Crafts and things.  I will be returning to My home in Watkins Glen soon as I have surgery in about a month then back to Texas for the winter season.. I've been an R/C modeler for over 40 years.  Who knows maybe we'll meet one day at Walt's. I usually go to his Xmas sale but not since I came to Texas. Have fun on this site. It's well worth the sit supporter dues of $20. Later Aviator.

Jason.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: July/29/2015 at 12:06pm  Quote

Build a Schweizer sailplane! The Schweizers brothers were from NY and flew out of Elmira. Beautiful country . Good luck!

Avatar User Offline Jason Holden
Basic Member
Basic Member
IP Logged
Posted: July/29/2015 at 9:01pm  Quote

Actually the Schweizer Aircraft plant is in Big Flats/ Horseheads NY. Not Elmira. My home in NY is about 45 minutes from there and a lot of my former school classmates worked there. Elmira is two cities away from Schweizer's.

]
] ]