] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: May/23/2015 at 3:50pm  Quote

I am a new Supporter, retired and in my early 80's, living in Northern California up in the Sonoma County wine country. Over 50 years ago I built and flew a respectful scale F4U Corsair U-control. Since then have done no modeling but have built as a hobby household furniture. I am exploring whether I can take up scale RC modeling at this late stage in my life and have sent away for 3 Proctor Plans/Manuals to help me in a decision. Whether a model will be static or flyable has also not been decided yet. I am also very fond of the Spitfire and don't know where to turn to find a scale model of same that would not be too difficult for a pretty much novice, or maybe novice plus builder. Any suggestions on all of these ponderings? Thanks very much. hbgandy

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Basic Member
Basic Member
Balsa Hacker
IP Logged
Posted: May/23/2015 at 6:26pm  Quote

Welcome back HB Gandy!
If you had the building talents several years ago I'll bet that you still have it! I would suggest attending a good big scale fun-fly or contest and have a look around, you would not believe what can be done with all the modern R/C stuff. As for a good scale Spitfire kit, maybe a Dave Platt kit? I am guessing that you want to build the model in balsa and not glass & foam?

If your planning on doing the flying yourself I would recommend building a good old fashion trainer to build up the flying skills, then tackle that scale "dream model" that you have always want to build.

Also welcome to RCSB, it's the best forum for all us afflicted with the scale model disease.

Larry B

[/IMG]

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/23/2015 at 7:40pm  Quote

Welcome, Some of the easier scale models with the best step/step direction would be topflite. You can check then out at Tower Hobbies. There models all fly pretty good and go together pretty easy compared to some other designs if you require help along the way. I would invite you to check out the many build threads here and see what you in for. Then start a build thread and ask all the questions you need as this site will provide all the help you could possibly need.

Flying:Merlyn Graves Ki-100, Ziroli B25, BUSA 1/3 Stearman,1/3 N28, 1/3 Pup,27% Gee Bee Sportster, Sig 1/3 Spacewalker, WH 27% Bird Dog

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
IP Logged
Posted: May/23/2015 at 9:10pm  Quote

HB - there will be a contest in Ukiah the 6th and 7th of June - actually about 8 mile South of Ukiah, right off 101 - look for Henry Station Road.

There will be several Proctor airplanes there as well as Joe Topper, the owner of Proctor.  There will most likely be a Spitfire there as well.  Ask anyone there for Whitney (me) and I can introduce you around.

Let me know if I can help

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: May/23/2015 at 9:40pm  Quote

Marvelous! Welcome back after too many years away!!!

Excellent choice in Proctor as you are a builder and when piloting do not need to be faced with
having to keep up with a model designed to fly faster than necessary. The Proctor product has
exactly the size and engine requirements that make transport and flight an enjoyable experience.

Please take Jeff's invitation and attend the Ukiah event June 6th and 7th. You could not ask for
a better re-entry to our great sport. Proctor's scale details will satisfy your requirement for itty
bits and gee-gaws as we used to call them. Today, Joe's products represent the best of its type.

Welcome back!

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: May/24/2015 at 6:19pm  Quote

Thanks to all for your responses and suggestions. I'll try and make it up to Ukiah.

]
] ]