Click logo to return to home page. ]

Home>Forums>Scale Stories>British Fleet Air Arm Barracuda Post Reply   New Topic   
Forum Jump  
] ] ]
]
Author / Post
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
National Flag of United Kingdom United Kingdom
IP Logged
Posted: February/09/2015 at 9:08am  Quote

I have had the honour of being intorduced to Lt E J (Ted) Gask of the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm who flew the Fairey Barracuda from the British Pacific Fleet carriers HMS Colossus, HMS Venerable, HMS Vengeance and most of the other carriers from 1943 onwards.

Ted joined the British Navy to become a pilot as he could not get into the Royal Air Force because there was too many applicants and not enough aircraft!! Can you believe that!!

Ted has kindly allowed me to scan in his vast collection of photographs of his experiences from being trained in Canada to his active service from the UK across to the Pacific. His collection of photographs shows his training in Tiger Moths, Harvards (Texans), Oxfords, Ansons to the Barracuda.

He also has an extensive range of photographs of Corsairs taking off and landing onto the carriers including a crash barrier landing that he made on the Venerable on 17 April 1945 due to a deck hook failure in his Barracuda aircraft MX 686 code RIK, caught by his flight colleague!

Ted is now 90 years of age, he is very very well, in good spirits and has a great memory.

Should anyone wishing to ask any questions on the Barracuda or the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm, he is happy to answer your questions.

I have posted this to see if it generates any interest, if so, Ted will join RCSB (he is computer literate even at his age) and will respond to you directly.

What is of great interest as he regularly watches documentaries about the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm and usually throws his cup of tea at the television claiming (in a nice way) "you got that wrong because I know, I was there"!!!

Here is the picture of Ted getting covered in foam as he climbs out of the cockpit!

Cary

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search  Web 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: February/09/2015 at 9:37am  Quote

I got so excited when I saw this thread. I actually thought that someone was finally going to do a build of this great aircraft.
I've always loved the Barracuda, and thought it would make a great model for competition as you just don't see many unusual planes like this being built. Maybe some day.

In the mean time, I would love to say to Mr. Gask, I sincerely thank you for your service. It's because of men like you that we are able to enjoy the freedoms we take for granted today. God bless you.

Maybe Cary would be nice enough to share more of these great photos from Mr. Gask. That would be great!

Thanks again.

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: February/09/2015 at 10:10am  Quote

Quote: Laser Dude
I got so excited when I saw this thread. I actually thought that someone was finally going to do a build of this great aircraft.
I've always loved the Barracuda, and thought it would make a great model for competition as you just don't see many unusual planes like this being built. Maybe some day.

In the mean time, I would love to say to Mr. Gask, I sincerely thank you for your service. It's because of men like you that we are able to enjoy the freedoms we take for granted today. God bless you.

Maybe Cary would be nice enough to share more of these great photos from Mr. Gask. That would be great!

Thanks again.

Hi Laser Dude, I will be seeing Ted tonight actually and will pass on your thanks. I am sure he will join the forum and answer any questions in the very near future.

Here is a picture of Ted in his Barracuda flying over Table Top Mountain in Capetown! Ted's is the plane at the rear (nearest the camera).

Cary

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: February/09/2015 at 12:33pm  Quote

How awesome! Thanks.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: February/09/2015 at 1:42pm  Quote

Quote: Laser Dude

Here you go Laser Dude:  http://www.rcmf.co.uk/4um/index.php/topic,99396.0.html

If it ain't broke, go fly it!

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: February/09/2015 at 2:27pm  Quote

Hi Chad, yes I have also found that thread today! I will be speaking with Colin in a short while
Cary

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: February/09/2015 at 3:59pm  Quote

Thanks Chad. That's looking like a serious model! I'll have to keep following the thread. I appreciate the link.

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
IP Logged
Posted: February/10/2015 at 2:28am  Quote

Guys, I spoke with Colin last night, he is taking it very slowly to build the Barracuda, as you can see by the build thread. What he has realised is that the 35cc engine he decided to use is not going to be powerful enough to fly it (probably only taxi it around!!). He and myself are going to keep in contact with each other and I have introduced him to Ted Gask who will be able to assist him on various schemes, little details and obviously flying characteristics!

Cary

]
] ]