Hank McCabe

Back to Top  Printer Friendly Version  Profile  Search 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Wayne Baker
National Flag of United States United States
IP Logged
Posted: December/08/2014 at 7:26pm  Quote

Hank I was from Tucson but I moved to Phoenix about ten years ago. I flew with TRCC when I was there.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: December/08/2014 at 10:24pm  Quote

Glad to hear from you Will-baker, there seems to be a lot of folks here in Tucson, that have never
 heard of RCSB web site and the ones I do tell about the web site seem interested. That is until I
 tell them it cost $20.00 to become a site support member.  It seems giving up 20 dollars is like 
 asking the devil for a drink of water. It's really to bad,  there is a world of information,  experience 
 and knowledge that comes from the members of RCSB. I am glad I found their web site.  Well it's 
 getting late and I still have work to do on a plane so thanks for the feed back and email when you can.

Hank McCabe 

Working: 2008 Creamsicle, Bud Atkinson Sport T-34, Great Planes 1/4 scale J-3 Cub        

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: December/11/2014 at 8:57am  Quote

Hi Wayne are you posting any of your builds?  I sure would like to see the PA-18 and the PT-19.
  Years ago I belonged to a Navy flying club in Jacksonville FL, and we had a PA-17 and a PT-19.
  Are the ones you are building  from a kit or are you building from a set of plans ?. If you are posting 
  let me know Thanks.
                                              Hank 

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Wayne Baker
IP Logged
Posted: December/13/2014 at 7:06pm  Quote

Hi Hank. Sorry  I'm not posting anything right now. The Cub is a dyna flite kit I kind of bashed to make more scale. There used to be a flying school based at Ryan field named Snoopy's flying school. When I lived in Tucson I knew the son of the man that owned the school. When I started the build I decided I would use the logo from the school on the plane. I started the cub about a year before moving. Flash forward 11 years and the cub is finally nearing completion.

I have highly modified this kit over the years to increase the scale appearance. I must tell you I moved to Phoenix in 2005 at the height of the housing orgy. I wanted a house that was done or needed minimal upgrades so I could continue the building/flying lifestyle I had in Tucson. Didn't happen. Spent the majority of the last ten years on a gut job remodel. I'm still not done but some of that is due to Obamanomics and the current state of the economy. Little by little I have managed to get a workshop put together and get some work done on the planes. But I am far from back to where I was. Enough crying.

I am proud of what I have managed to get done even if it is slower than Don Rice's CorsairLOL As this is a fun fly plane ( I can't imagine the Dyna flite would ever be competition worthy) and a Snoopy's Flying School aircraft, Snoopy had to be the pilot and he had to have a student...

The student being a little fellow needed to sit on a couple books to see out

anyway, got to have a little fun. One day soon (6 months?) she will fly

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: December/13/2014 at 10:13pm  Quote

Hi Wayne,  You are doing a really good modification build on the Dyna Flite Kit. Judging from the size of the phone books it must be a really big plane. I'm always telling my son in Colorado, the bigger the plane the easier it is to see.  Heck Wayne, 11yrs. on a build is not bad at all, perfection takes time.  I see you have a since of humor, I think it comes with modeling and talking to your self comes in handy also.
I only have one build going on right now that I started in 2009 when we lived on the east coast.  It's one
of those's ( I can't believe I am building this thing ) planes  anyway, it is posted in forums under general
scratch builds ( Creamsicle ) if you get a chance check it out.  And I hope nothing like that ever happens to you.  .  Well it's getting late and the wife wants to use her computer again.  So I will sign out for
now. Email when you can.
                                                  Hank

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
Wayne Baker
IP Logged
Posted: December/14/2014 at 8:20am  Quote

Hi Hank. I have been following the creamsicle and thoroughly enjoying it. A group of us in TRCC always said if you don't have a popsicle stick in the build it won't fly. Yours should fly great.

The cub is 1/4 scale, 104in wingspan I think. The phone books are balsa blocks. I covered them with scanned and reduced images I printed out using my computer. Used a pencil and yellow hi-lighter to indicate the pages. Thought they turned out pretty good for a bumkin.

Scale has always been my main interest in modeling. when I left Tucson I gave away all  of my sport planes to force myself to go scale. I discovered RCSB in Tucson but scale competition is not very big there. Since moving, I re-discovered RCSB and have been learning everything I can from everyone here. Dad always said "son it's not necessary for you to make every mistake". Now I only make most of them. Some of the things people do here will always be beyond my capabilities but my building has come up several notches as a result of the inspiration and knowledge gained here. Everything I do now is to increase my abilities and to build better and better scale models that fly well. I used to be a pretty fair pilot, I've not flown much since moving but am starting to get back into it. I want to compete but I have a ways to go yet to compete successfully. The PT-19 may be the first competition level (lower level) model for me. I am still considering...

The PT-19 was given to me by Chuck Brooks (know him?) a very good friend of mine. It is extremely heavy and scale in outline only right now. Nobody seems to know what if any kit it is from. It needs to be rebuilt and recovered before it is flyable. My challenges are: 1- reduce the overall weight  2- add in scale parts and detail to attain a competition level model  3- strengthen and lighten the wing adding flaps  4- design and add wing fillets to the fuse  5- design and build a scale flying tail to replace the slab surfaces   6- finish and weather.

Everything on that list is designed to teach me something for a later build I have planned. I will start a thread when I start on the PT as I want all the input I can get from the experts on this site. While it may not give me an Ivy League education I may get  a community college level one from this plane. I can build on that.

I think I have the next several years laid out. For fun I want to finish the cub, then I have a pacific aeromodels Gee Bee Y ARF I will put together. I think I will add scale to that one only after I have flown it for awhile. Sometimes you just have to go fly.

Lifetime Site Supporter
Lifetime Site Supporter
IP Logged
Posted: December/14/2014 at 1:28pm  Quote

Hi Wayne, Well here it is Sunday morning, and as usual there is nothing going on in Tucson, or as I call this place DEATH VALLEY. This town really defies logic.  Our lease is up in Aug. 2015, so we will be moving on to a more civilized town, far, far away from Death. Valley.   OK that takes care of my hostilities for today .  I agree their should be at least 1 Popsicle stick in every model. When I started building creamsicle  I got to wondering about the Birch sticks.  Who manufacturers them and where do they come from.  I knew Unilever did not make the sticks, they just make them gooooood Popsicles.  Someday when you get bored I will tell you the story behind the sticks.  

Are you still a member of TRCC ?.  I went there about 2 yrs ago and also Southern Az. Modelers club, Both are really set up nice, and the members were real friendly.  But I did not join either.  I am sorta of a  stubborn guy and I like to do things my way. When I say this I am not bragging, it's just something I did in my life that I am proud of.  Back in 1964 at the ripe old age of 19 at the Jax. Navy Flying Club in Jacksonville FL. I soloed in a PA-17 Vagabond, I had 9 hrs. of instructions  and I was one of the slow ones.  The other guys that joined when I did soloed in 6 hrs in a J-3 cub .  My Dad was a pilot and his 2 brothers were pilots, kinda like carrying on the family tradition.  So my thinking was and still is , if I can fly a real airplane.  I should have no problem flying a RC model airplane .  anyway I just can't see myself on a buddy box, ( to proud i guess )  So I just find a empty parking lot on a Sunday morning or a open field and have at it.  Yea ' I have been asked to leave a few times.  But that's the price you pay when you fly for free.

I kept looking at those's phone books in the picture, and I keep saying to myself,  Man that has got to be a giant Scale plane for sure. I'm glad you told me it's 1/4 scale ( now i can sleep tonight ) . I have a GP J-3 Cub that's 1/4 scale, but we live in a 1 br. apt. on the east side,   so I have no room to build it right now.

I do not know Chuck Brooks the only guy I know that is a member of TRCC, Is Rob Hoard he  worked at' The Hobby Barn,' here in Death Valley, but he has moved to Utah and is flying Drones for a contractor ( big $$$ ).  I wouldn't worry to much  about your building Technics, it looks to me like you are off to a good start.  And as flying goes well you know what they say.  Some days are better than others.  Some days you eat the bear and some days the bear eats you.  And let us not forget the old and wise  Confucius  Who say  "Girl Who Fly Plane Upside Down " Have Crack Up".  email when you can.          Hank

]
] ]